Author Topic: Leviathan: Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy Battle System  (Read 13622 times)

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Leviathan: Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy Battle System
« on: June 18, 2010, 10:18:15 PM »
   Has anyone ever heard of this game? It was produced by Grendel Productions Inc. in Scotland (1995). I received a copy today from a fellow YouTuber in the UK.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: Leviathan: Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy Battle System
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 03:43:03 PM »
The minis game?  Yup.  I have it.  A friend asked me to convert it to 3.5.

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:49:42 PM »
The minis game?  Yup.  I have it.  A friend asked me to convert it to 3.5.

Did you?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 08:26:41 PM »
I was working on it till he lost interest.  I think I still have the notes and such lying aobut.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 03:15:22 PM »
Actually I do still have the notes.  I think I had most of the critters and the races done.

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 10:14:57 AM »
Actually I do still have the notes.  I think I had most of the critters and the races done.

Well, post them! :)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 02:51:10 PM »
Here or a more appropriate board?  After all ou did make the request here...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 06:56:56 PM »
ELVES (TAINTED)

"The world belongs to us by right."

Elves are a head taller than human men, slim, and fair skinned with sharp, pointed canines.  Formerly one of the most beautiful races in the world they are now cruel, and leering with bloodshot eyes from a life of decadence.  

ELF RACIAL TRAITS STARTING AGE
 Adulthood: 110
 Elven Assassin: +4d6
 Dragonrider, Thain: +6d6
 Elven Sorcerer, Elven Noble: +10d6

AGING EFFECTS
 Middle Age: 175
 Old: 263
 Venerable: 350
 Maximum Age: +4d10%

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
 Base Height: Male: 5'4" Female: 5'1"
 Height Modifier: +2d10
 Base Weight: Male: 150   Female: 115
 Weight Modifier: (x2d4)

ELF CHARACTERS
 If you want powerful allies, the Elves count on Lesser Demons as assistants, Dragons as their friends, and usually have several slaves as cannon fodder.  Their armies also have large reserves of magical weaponry and armor, and are the best trained in the world.  So basically you get all the good stuff.  The downside is that if you fail your superior or a random angry demon devours your soul.
 Adventuring Race: Because they're told to.  Either a Fallen or one of the Nobility assigns you a task, and if you want to live you succeed.  besides if you win you get rewarded nicely and move up in the world.  Since power and glory are the side benefits why not do it if your death is the other option.
 Character Development: Elves tend to be magically talented, and almost all of them have magical ability of some kind even if they aren't a Sorcerer.  They also have easier access to magical items and training than most, so make sure you can take advantage of this.
 Character Names: Male: Alsadair, Brone, Clarann, Eachann,  Eamon, Earnon, Eoin, Feargus, Lorcan, Manus, Niall.  Female: Alana, Aurnia, Darina, Derrin, Dervla, Lasrina, Sinead.  Surnames: Elven Surnames tend to be something they are known for.  For example Dwarf-Killer might be the surname of an Elven veteran of their battles with the Dwarves.

ROLEPLAYING AN ELF
 You are an evil bastard.  You would sell your on children to avoid death, or just gain a step up in the world.  Everyone you know is a potential assassin or betrayer.  Everyone you know is a possible stepping stone to greater power.  The world is now literally Hell, and you can be a Lord or a slave, and you can't imagine being a slave after what you have seen and done to them.
 Personality: All is lost, and there is nothing left.  This world is all you have since your soul will probably be devoured if you die, so you may as well make the best of it.  So what if you rape your own relatives, devour a few children, and murder the innocent.  Survival is necessary, and these days that's the price.
 Behaviors: You are allowed to indulge any urges you may have, and the more power you have, the worse the desires you can indulge.  Morality is no longer a part of the Elven soul.
 Language: Elves have one of the most complex and well developed languages in the world, and are one of the very few to have a written form of their racial language.  Many races use the Elven alphabet for the written form of their own language unless they have specifically developed writing of their own.

ELF SOCIETY
 Any culture or civilization the Elves practiced has been swept away for the most part by the Fallen.  Rape, slavery, murder, sacrifice, and cannibalism are now the norm.  So long as you have enough power and the right connections you can do almost anything and no one can touch you except whoever is higher up the chain.  While the Elves still have the best of everything they squander it needlessly in debauchery, and neglect all that once made them great.  After all the world is ending so why bother to save anything?
 Alignment : Most Tainted Elves are now Chaotic or Neutral Evil.  There might be a few Chaotic Neutral ones left, but they would be very rare, and need to hide it.  Elves who refused to serve the Fallen were slaughtered en masse, and as a result all that is left are the very worst of their race.
 Lands : Elves take the very best lands for their own.  Anywhere with a bad climate or soil, or scarce resources are left for the other races.  Unfortunately after freeing the Fallen, most lands are now baked deserts.
 Settlements : The Elves consider all lands to be theirs, and engage in endless warfare to conquer them all.
 Beliefs : Elves generally worship Azothar the Destroyer or Bethshakai the Hidden.  As the last 5 remaining of the Fallen princes emerge perhaps they wil gain cults as well.
 Relations: Other races are food to extend the Elves lives, slaves to conduct wars or raise crops or perform hard labor, or to be handed over to the Fallen for sacrifice.

ELF ADVENTURES Taint Subtype

Overall this Subtype gives you nothing, but some Feats or PrC's will require it as a Prerequisite, and some items or spells/powers will have lesser or greater effects against Tainted individuals.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 02:08:34 AM by bhu »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 05:57:07 AM »
Elves (Blessed Folk)

"We threw everything away.  Everything.  Without so much as a moments thought.  Truly we are Cursed now as opposed to Blessed.

Elves are a head taller than human men, slim, and fair skinned with sharp, pointed canines.  Still the most beautiful race in the world (by the standards of most anyway) they practically seem to glow with life.  But life hidden or on the run has made the remaining free Elves haggard and depressed, and it can be seen in their face.

RACE RACIAL TRAITS STARTING AGE
 Adulthood: 110
 Elven Outcast: +4d6
 Dragonrider, Thain: +6d6
 Elven Sorcerer, Elven Noble: +10d6

AGING EFFECTS
 Middle Age: 175
 Old: 263
 Venerable: 350
 Maximum Age: +4d10%

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
 Base Height: Male: 5'4" Female: 5'1"
 Height Modifier: +2d10
 Base Weight: Male: 150   Female: 115
 Weight Modifier: (x2d4)

RACE CHARACTERS
 If you want to play an Elf but don't want to be an incestuous, soul-devouring torture junkie who consorts with Demons, you can be one of the few untainted Elves left.  Granted you'll also be spending your entire life on the line.
 Adventuring Race: The last few Elves that haven't fallen to the Demons have usually holed up in hidden cities, kept secret from their former brethren by Wards of Earthpower.  For them to venture outside it has to be important.  The fate of their city, loved ones, or the world must be at stake.  Vengeance is a common second option.
 Character Development: Make sure you're fairly self-sufficient.  Other races will hate you for what your fellows have done, and the Fallen want you destroyed for refusing to join them.  You don't have many allies outside of other untainted Elves, and there aren't many of you.
 Character Names: Male: Alsadair, Brone, Clarann, Eachann,  Eamon, Earnon, Eoin, Feargus, Lorcan, Manus, Niall.  Female: Alana, Aurnia, Darina, Derrin, Dervla, Lasrina, Sinead.  Surnames: Elven Surnames tend to be something they are known for.  For example Dwarf-Killer might be the surname of an Elven veteran of their battles with the Dwarves.

ROLEPLAYING A RACE
 Your former composure and arrogant certainty that your race were masters of the world has been shattered.  You realize more than anyone the horrifying crime your people are responsible for, and even worse that you have no way of making up for it.  Crippling depression, suicide, and insanity are problems among your people, and even among Elves who do not worship the Fallen people could not be considered safe...
 Personality: Elves are usually quite distraught and inconsolable, or raving paranoids that it's best to stay away from.  When you go from the owners of the world to penniless outcasts it's a pretty sever blow, especially when you find out your precious subjects despised you even before the Fallen were summoned.
 Behaviors: Incoherent shouting or sitting about staring at the sky or walls is common.  So are mumbling to oneself, talking to people who aren't there, and staring blankly without response to people who speak to you.  Recent events ave hit the Elves pretty hard...
 Language: Elves have one of the most complex and well developed languages in the world, and are one of the very few to have a written form of their racial language.  Many races use the Elven alphabet for the written form of their own language unless they have specifically developed writing of their own.

RACE SOCIETY
 Elven civilization was crushed by the Fallen, and they have little left.  They no longer devote themselves to arts or other pursuits, concentrating on magical research to hide and protect themselves, or building the remaining armed forces they have left.  Some few are training others to replace them since they believe their race is destined to die for what it has done.
 Alignment : Most Elves are Neutral.  They suffer from severe depression commonly, and most are close to insanity or at least have totally withdrawn from the world.  Some may be Chaotic or Lawful, but it's rare that the burned out shells of the remaining Elves can rouse themselves to true Good or Evil.
 Lands : Untainted Elves prefer areas that are easily defensible, and easily hidden.  Their cities must be able to survive without being noticed.
 Settlements : There aren't enough normal Elves left to settle other lands.
 Beliefs : The remaining Elves have little time for religion, and the few who are still believers tend to be followers of Arezhiva.
 Relations: The Tainted Elves and Fallen want you sacrificed as an example.  The other races remember the sometimes brutal subjugation at the hands of your race when you ruled the world before the Fallen came, and hate you for it.  Virtually everyone will blame you for your races collusion with the Demon Princes.  There are some few who will realize that if they want to seal the Demons again they will need you, but there are damn few of them.

RACE ADVENTURES
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 02:08:18 AM by bhu »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 02:16:25 AM »
The free Elves will mostly be extrapolation (i.e. pulling this out of my butt).  The book left open the possibility of a few scattered ones here and there but doesn't mention much about them.

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 01:38:18 PM »
The free Elves will mostly be extrapolation (i.e. pulling this out of my butt).  The book left open the possibility of a few scattered ones here and there but doesn't mention much about them.

Thank you.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 02:44:13 PM »
No problem  :D

DO you know if there was ever any releases pass the first book, I havent been able to find any.

Ther will be more coming I'm just stretched a lil thin.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 02:09:31 AM by bhu »

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 08:23:10 AM »
No problem  :D

DO you know if there was ever any releases pass the first book, I havent been able to find any.

Ther will be more coming I'm just stretched a lil thin.

I have no idea. I got this book in a trade.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 01:06:14 AM »
HUMANS (BARBARIAN CLANS)

"My honor is not for sale.  Neither is my sword."

The Northern Barbarians are tall, and strong with blunt, rugged features.   Some prefer long hair and beards, and others are shaven but for a mohawk or topknot.  Almost all of them are tattoed beginning upon adulthood.

RACE RACIAL TRAITS STARTING AGE
 Adulthood: 15
 Warrior: +1d4
 Warper, Razorback Rider, Scout: +1d6
 Druid: +2d6

AGING EFFECTS
 Middle Age: 35
 Old: 53
 Venerable: 70
 Maximum Age: +2d20

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
 Base Height: Male: 5'  Female: 4'7"
 Height Modifier: +2d10"
 Base Weight: Male: 150 lbs.   Female: 110 lbs.
 Weight Modifier: x 2d6 lbs.

HUMAN CHARACTERS
 If you want to be a wilderness type character, humans are the way to go (with Orcs being a close second).  Also if you don't want to be beholden to the Fallen or some other God humans are a decent choice.  They're also good if you love playing pissed off Barbarians who have a cause to fight for.
 Adventuring Race: The Barbarians are angry about what has happened to the world, and they do not see their race surviving into the future.  That being said they'd like to take as many of the Fallen with them as  they can before they go.  Therefore for humans most adventures are about revenge, suicide on the battlefield, survival of the tribe, or something similar.
 Character Development: You get bonus skill points for your wilderness skills, make sure you spend them wisely.  There are many things you will have to run from initially instead of fight depending on the mix of the party.
 Character Names: Male: Conall, Donogh, Eachann, Eamon, Feargus, Finnian, Kieran, Manus, Niall, Rowan. Female: Alana, Bethen, Bridget, Darina, Dunla, Eda, Ita, Mara, Moreen, Selina. Surnames: Barbarians generally use their Clan Name as  their Surname.

ROLEPLAYING A HUMAN
 The end times are here.  You can't match the might of the Elves and the armies of the Fallen where the Gods have failed.  The Orcs have an Evil God of their own, and you've fought the Dwarves so much truce may be impossible.  The other races are long gone, and most were monsters o begin with.  So you're on your own which suits you just fine.  These are the bad days, the all-or-nothing days.  These are the days in which you will sell your life as hard as you can before mankind fades from the world and only monsters are left.
 Personality: Humans tend to be grim and insular.  They were used as foot soldiers against the other races by the Elves, and now their former owners have destroyed the world.  The Barbarians may never have given in to the Elves, but in the eyes of the other races that matters little enough.  A human is a human.
 Behaviors: The Barbarian tribes are something of a mix of Teutonic and Celtic tribal societies.  Being as the world is now literally Hell on Earth they concentrate solely on survival and war.  They are paranoid to a fault, superstitious, and quick to kill.  Most are a little to eager to die in battle seeing no other choice.
 Language: The Northern Barbarians language strongly resembles Scots Gaelic.

HUMAN SOCIETY
 The Barbarians are organized in Clans, each led by a Chieftain (most of whom are Warpers or display other gifts from the Gods) who is accompanied by his bodyguard and a Druid.  Everyone else in the Clan is loosely organized into small warbands, and 5-20 Clans make a Nation.  A Nation is led by a High King, who can summon Ancestor Spirits to possess him and thus become a truly terrifying figure.  Before the Fall they were sacrificed to Aerath every seven years, but the Clans need all the help they can get now.  A High King is regarded as holy, but not infallible, and a mad or weak High King can quickly find himself abandoned.  The Druids are apart from Barbarian Society, and are obligated only to the rules of the Arch Druid, not societal laws.
 Alignment : Most barbarians chafe under rules and might be considered Chaotic (particularly the Warpers).  Since they do not care about outsiders and keep heavily to themselves they could also be regarded as having strong Neutral tendencies.
 Lands : The Barbarians traditionally have kept to the cold and harsh Northlands, where the weather conditions assure few would come looking for trouble.
 Settlements : Since the Fall, the Barbarians have been pushed south into the bleak wastelands and poisonous fungus forests.  They are nomadic, rarely staying anywhere for long.
 Beliefs :The Barbarians generally worship the last of the Lords of Law, i.e. Aerath and sometimes Arezhiva.  Many also worship ancestor spirits, and it is said that the Arch Druid is perhaps a God as well.
 Relations: The Barbarians despise the Elves, fallen or not for what they have done to the world.  They despise the Orcs as they have fought them for all their lives, and since  the Elves used their enslaved kindred to fight the Dwarves they care not much for them either.  Truly the Barbarians are alone in the world.

HUMAN ADVENTURES
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:49:58 AM by bhu »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 05:42:12 AM »
I will be finishing this I promise.  I'm working 7 days a week now for as long as I keep the current job so free time is short.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 05:21:00 AM »
Massive update to the barbarians.  Anyone think it's not balanced?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 05:51:40 AM »
HUMAN (SCAVENGER CLANS)

"We never should have trusted the Elves.  And as their chattel, no one trusts us either.  Our days are numbered."

The Scavenger clans are the shattered, broken remnants from among the human clans that swore fealty of the Elves, and became little more than slaves as payment.  Constantly fearing rebellion, the Elves tried to breed magic out of humanity, and instead only succeeded in creating the Chaos Cults that brought about the downfall of their society.  The Scavengers are not as large or as wise as the Northfolk Barbarians, and many are scarred or deformed from their exposure to sorcery and the Fallen.

HUMAN RACIAL TRAITS STARTING AGE
 Adulthood: 15
 Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer: +1d4
 Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger: +1d6
 Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard: +2d6

AGING EFFECTS
 Middle Age: 35
 Old: 53
 Venerable: 70
 Maximum Age: +2d20

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
 Base Height: Male: 4'10"  Female: 4' 5"
 Height Modifier: +2d10"
 Base Weight: Male: 120 lbs.   Female: 85 lbs.
 Weight Modifier: x2d4 lbs.

SCAVENGER CHARACTERS
 If you want to be human and have a tragic backstory the Scavengers work well for this.  They make good stealth characters, and are varied and not quite as pigeon holed as the other races.  They don't have to be honorable or touch, or live up to any codes. 
 Adventuring Race: Many Scavengers were brutally mistreated by the Elves and want revenge.  They were used as foot soldiers in the Elves wars against other races, and some of them would like revenge on them too.  But as a whole your race is broken and disbanded, and you have no large forces.  Some go on missions to thwart the Fallen as well.
 Character Development: Much like the Barbarians you get bonus skill points so use them wisely.  Just about everyone wants you dead, so you'll need to fall back on stealth or the ability to talk your way out of trouble far more often than some others.
 Character Names: Male: Conall, Donogh, Eachann, Eamon, Feargus, Finnian, Kieran, Manus, Niall, Rowan. Female: Alana, Bethen, Bridget, Darina, Dunla, Eda, Ita, Mara, Moreen, Selina.  Surnames: Scavengers generally use their Clan Name as  their Surname.  Some use Elven names as well.

ROLEPLAYING A SCAVENGER
 You have been betrayed.  The alliance with the Elves was supposed to better the world, and you learn that they merely wanted to gain control of a potential rival species, breeding you to be complacent and follow orders, and unable to cast magic.  Ironically they conducted far more dangerous magical experiments than your people, and the few witches who did grow up had no protection from influence by the Fallen.  And worse by helping them fight the other races you're now considered as unholy as your former masters even though the Fallen slaughtered you by the thousands.
 Personality: The Elves former subjects are barely holding together.  Used to living in cities, they were shocked at having to live as nomads again.  None of them were prepared for life on the run with their former leaders out to sacrifice them to Demons, and the rest of the races wanting them dead for helping the Elves fight them.  Many wonder in a state of shock and dismay, and are growing increasingly useless to the tribes.
 Behaviors: The Scavenger Clans have seen much.  Many were present for unspeakable rites, and now consider themselves damned whether they participated or not.  Madness, paranoia, and irrationality are common among them. 
 Language: The Scavenger Clans have largely forgotten their own tongue and now speak Elven.

SCAVENGER SOCIETY
 The Scavenger used to be a society similar to the Barbarians, but they gave that up when they allied with the Elves, becoming a civilized agricultural society ruled over by their Lords.  That's ended, and now the Scavengers have nothing.  Their art and agriculture and all thy held dear is swept away, and now they are forced to live as primitives again.
 Alignment : Most Scavengers are Neutral.  Those aligned with the Chaos Cults end to be Chaotic Neutral or Evil.  A few who remain loyal to the Templars are Lawful Neutral, but the majority care only for themselves being Neutral or Neutral Evil.
 Lands : The Scavengers formerly lived in great cities surrounding the Elven Obelisks, but after the arrival of the Fallen they fled and live as nomads, always on the run.
 Settlements : Scavengers never settle anywhere.  They know they're doomed the moment they try.
 Beliefs : Many of the original Chaos Cults began among humans, and even now the Scavenger Clans are split between not worshiping at all, the Fallen, or the few remaining Gods of Law.
 Relations: Scavengers are equally divided on opinions of the Elves and the Barbarians.  Large factions consider them the only way out of the mess the world is in, or an enemy to be killed on sight.  The rest of the races pretty much hate them, and they avoid them when possible.

SCAVENGER ADVENTURES
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 06:13:08 AM by bhu »

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 07:17:28 PM »
Massive update to the barbarians.  Anyone think it's not balanced?

The elves are not worth a +2 level adjust, +1 maybe, but +2 is definitely too much. +0 is probably too low but a +1 is on the high side. Give the elves a bonus feat (long live and a lot of experience) and give the bad elves a single level one spell of some sort (inflict light wounds? Summon Monster 1 for evil outsider only? what would fit?) that they can cast once per day as a spell like ability, much as some of the races in the PHB. Light elves would get ~2 spells 1/day, or maybe the player's choice of 3 0'th level spells from any one spell list 1/day (choosen at character creation). Not actually familiar with the setting so I'm not sure if it would be appropriate, but in order to make a playable race adjustments in that vein are needed.

The barbarians are pushing against the top of LA+0 but you can't give them a +1 LA since they are too weak for that.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 03:08:42 AM »
Updated both elves and the Scavengers

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 06:15:44 AM »
Okay this next one will be mostly conjecture on my part, as they aren't mentioned in the book so I'll have to fill in blanks

DESERT NOMADS

Quote of Some Kind by a member of the r   ace!

A general description of whatever the race is!

NOMAD RACIAL TRAITS STARTING AGE
 Adulthood:
 Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer:
 Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger:
 Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard:

AGING EFFECTS
 Middle Age:
 Old:
 Venerable:
 Maximum Age:

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
 Base Height: Male:  Female:
 Height Modifier:
 Base Weight: Male:    Female:
 Weight Modifier:

NOMAD CHARACTERS
 Quick generalization of what this race is good for as far as characters go..
 Adventuring Race: Why members of this class go on adventures.
 Character Development: Give suggestions for making a character with this race.
 Character Names: Give examples of names by gender or other arrangement.

ROLEPLAYING A NOMAD
 Quick generalization about playing a member of this race.
 Personality: Give general stereotype of the personality of a member of this race and some roleplaying applications.
 Behaviors: Typical behaviors for a member of this race..
 Language:Notes on this races language..

NOMAD SOCIETY
 Description of this races society, culture, and civilization.
 Alignment : What alignment is common to members of this race and why.
 Lands : Where do they normally live.
 Settlements : Where do they normally live when not in their homelands.
 Beliefs :Typical religious beliefs.
 Relations: How do they relate to other races.

NOMAD ADVENTURES