Author Topic: Druid gets a chance to add off-list spells (time sensitive)  (Read 6131 times)

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Druid gets a chance to add off-list spells (time sensitive)
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 03:52:31 PM »
L4 Moonbolt: 5d4 strenght damage to target
L1 Blood wind: Make natural attacks at range, it is a swift spell.

ShriekingDrake

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • The Forest Has Eyes
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 12:44:49 AM »

I don't want to derail this discussion (because I really want excellent suggestions like the one above), but I had never even noticed Blood Wind before.  Now that i read the description of the spell, I don't even understand what it does.  It looks as if it enables a full-round natural/unarmed melee attack to happen at a 20ft range increment.  (It's not clear whether this happens this round or next round.)

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 04:12:11 AM »

I don't want to derail this discussion (because I really want excellent suggestions like the one above), but I had never even noticed Blood Wind before.  Now that i read the description of the spell, I don't even understand what it does.  It looks as if it enables a full-round natural/unarmed melee attack to happen at a 20ft range increment.  (It's not clear whether this happens this round or next round.)

Casting blood wind is a swift action, so it functions just like a quickened spell.  You can still take all you other normal actions including a full attack, but only one swift action a round.  So you can attack with every natural weapon like you normally do one that round, but with range incruments of 20 feet.  So like archery, each 20 feat beyond the first grants a -1 to hit to a maxiumum of 5 range bands.  This is mainly useful for the first round of combat, you can attack them, but you force them to move to you (which means they usually lose their full round action)  unless they are also ranged.  Also since it is a level 1 spell, you probably have quite of few of those spell slots at higher levels that go unused.  You could always extend the spell for two rounds of use if you have extend spell or a cheap less extend metamagic rod (3,000gp).

ShriekingDrake

• The Forest Has Eyes
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 01:54:11 PM »
Casting blood wind is a swift action, so it functions just like a quickened spell.  You can still take all you other normal actions including a full attack, but only one swift action a round.  So you can attack with every natural weapon like you normally do one that round, but with range incruments of 20 feet.  So like archery, each 20 feat beyond the first grants a -1 to hit to a maxiumum of 5 range bands.  This is mainly useful for the first round of combat, you can attack them, but you force them to move to you (which means they usually lose their full round action)  unless they are also ranged.  Also since it is a level 1 spell, you probably have quite of few of those spell slots at higher levels that go unused.  You could always extend the spell for two rounds of use if you have extend spell or a cheap less extend metamagic rod (3,000gp).

Thanks.  That's a very helpful description.  Shame I wouldn't be able to use this on my animal companion, which has an intelligence that's too low. 

TangoZilla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »
If you target yourself can you not share it with your animal companion?

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2010, 07:45:25 PM »

that should work and its why its so nasty for a druid

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »
Polymorph, Black Tentacles, Web, Glitterdust, Grease, Divine Power, Greater Magic Weapon are all good options.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2010, 08:59:51 PM »
I'd go with haste, if no one else could cast it. Although i don't remember if you get a bonus attack when using natural weapons, i'll have to check the rules on that one.

You can never go wrong with Alter Self, which fits the fluff, too. And you can use it to take a utility form without losing a wild shape for the day.

Teleport/Dimension Door are good options, too.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

ShriekingDrake

• The Forest Has Eyes
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 09:13:20 PM »

A great spell, by the way. But the druid already has access to this as a fourth level spell. 

ShriekingDrake

• The Forest Has Eyes
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 09:39:20 PM »

that should work and its why its so nasty for a druid
Is the idea here that because you'd be using the "share spell" class ability that you'd be able to enable your animal companion to have access to the spell, even though ordinarily it would be ineligible?

TangoZilla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2010, 09:48:57 PM »
Quote from: SRD
It doesn't say anything about the animal companion having to be a legal target for the spell, just that you are able to cast the spell on yourself.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 12:24:41 AM »
Yeah, the spell affects the companion even though it targets you. Considering Personal is the most restrictive targeting, anything you can possibly put on yourself goes on the pet.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 10:32:28 AM »
Bloodwind is definitely good for giggles. Finally something to do when you're riding your AC...

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 02:01:30 PM »
I forget the name of it, but there is a Wiz spell from the Spell Compendium that gives you (and your companion) tentacles from your shoulders.  It might be 4th or 5th level, though.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

jolt

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 02:21:31 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has said Greater Mirror Image yet. It's one of the best lower lvl defensive spells out there. Also I second Scintillating Scales against a DM that optimizes aswell with wraithstrike or creatures with touch attacks.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 02:53:56 PM »
KSB - You thinking of Evard's Menacing Tentacles from PHB II?  Gives you 2 tentacles that can attack each round as a Free Action.  Incredibly useful spell actually.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 04:11:25 PM »
KSB - You thinking of Evard's Menacing Tentacles from PHB II?  Gives you 2 tentacles that can attack each round as a Free Action.  Incredibly useful spell actually.
I believe that is what I'm thinking of.

Between you and your companion, you get 4 free attacks each round.  And I think they have reach.

I was planning to take it for an arcane hierophant once, but the game never got that high of a level.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

ShriekingDrake

• The Forest Has Eyes
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 11:20:54 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has said Greater Mirror Image yet. It's one of the best lower lvl defensive spells out there. Also I second Scintillating Scales against a DM that optimizes aswell with wraithstrike or creatures with touch attacks.
Greater Mirror Image is quite good.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 10:41:59 AM »
KSB - You thinking of Evard's Menacing Tentacles from PHB II?  Gives you 2 tentacles that can attack each round as a Free Action.  Incredibly useful spell actually.
There is also "Arms of Plenty" from Lords of Madness which gives you some real (not free action) tentacles or claws to use. IIRC the menacing ones can be destroyed rather easily. The funny things about AoP is that it specifies that they are ALWAYS primary attacks, even when used as secondary natural weapons.

LargePrime

• Curious George
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 02:25:52 PM »
Do we really think the druid needs COMBAT spells to it's list?