Author Topic: Gemcrafter  (Read 1316 times)

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
Gemcrafter
« on: June 18, 2010, 07:06:59 PM »
A friend and I came up with this class after wishing to see what we could do with the Imbue Gem feat from Magic of Faerun.  Let me know what you think, what PrC's, races and such would synergize with it and any ideas you would like to see.  The rules for Gems should be finished in the next couple weeks.

Gemcrafter
Class Skills:
Appraise, Concentration, Craft (Gem), Diplomacy, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (Planes), Knowledge (Nature), Profession (Miner), Profession (Jeweler), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device

HD 6
6 skill points

No Weapon Proficiency
No Armor Proficiency
Saves as wizard/sorcerer
Alignment: Any
BAB: poor

Prerequisites:

Feat:
Imbue Gem

Skills:
Craft Gem 5 ranks
Spellcraft 5 ranks

Must be able to cast third level arcane spells (divine or psionic with DM Fiat)

Must apply and pass testing (tests your crafting ability and knowledge of gems) to join the Gemma Verum, a true neutral guild which seeks to corner the market on magical gems and preserve the knowledge of the craft in all its reemerging glory.

Lvl 1:
Due to your membership in the Gemma Verum, you may now use the skill points you have put into Craft (Gem) and consider them the same for Profession (Gemworker)

You gain a +2 on all Appraise checks involving gems and precious stones
-Increases by one at 3rd and again at 5th class level

Gain Spell level in previous Arcane class

Domain Spells
-Gain access to a domain spell list to be determined

Lvl2:Lvl3:
Crystal GrowthLvL4:
Gem Conductivity
Due to your extensive experience with gems you have learned to better channel the raw power of magic into the structure of the gems.  Initially you gain a 25% reduction in the experience cost of imbuing the gem and when the character has 12 or more ranks in Craft (Gem) and 8 ranks in Spellcraft this increases to a 50% reduction.   
If you have the Craft Wondrous Item feat this applies to creating wondrous items however the reduction is reduced by half.
PreReq:
Craft Gem 8

LvL5:
Crystalline Warcraft
If you have taken Craft Magical Arms and Armor, you can create the magical weapons and armor using gems as the material and thus apply all benefits you have gained from this class to the creation of this item. 
Items created out of gems may gain additional attributes due to its gem nature at the discretion of your DM.   Work out with Chris

Wargem Affinity
You have proficiency with all weapons and armor you make out of gems

LvL6:
If you have the Craft Wondrous Item feat you may now create Augment Crystals using the same cost system for imbuing gems.  Least Crystals are equivalent to 3rd level spells, Lesser Crystals are equivalent to 5th level spells and Greater Crystals are equivalent to 7th level spells.

LvL7:
When you create a weapon or armor (magical or otherwise), made out of a gem material, the release of a spell which you imbued into it does not cause the item to be destroyed.

Crystalline Reputation
You are renowned as a master of gem crafting, thus nobles, kings, extraplanar beings may be interested in your services. However, your name will be known in gem market.

"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
Re: Gemcrafter
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 09:36:50 PM »
Needs a golem craft/summon for a capstone imo, one that looks like a Psion-killer.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 01:04:50 AM »
Needs a golem craft/summon for a capstone imo, one that looks like a Psion-killer.

Psion killer in what way?
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 01:34:49 AM »

Psion killer in what way?
Psion-Killer in this way.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 02:05:02 AM »
This way.