Author Topic: Death Note (Spoilers)  (Read 3905 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Death Note (Spoilers)
« on: June 24, 2008, 10:07:30 AM »
WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS!

Discuss.
[spoiler] :lol[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:10:27 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
Re: Death Note
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 11:53:54 AM »
I'm not gonna mess with spoiler boxes in this post, consider yourself warned.

Light got sloppy at the end. He should've waited until N and the rest were dying before calling it his win. And Mikami...ugh.
The ending was disappointing, but satisfying.  :-\

Did anyone else hate the second opening?
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:33:59 PM »
He started LG, before staying LE for most of the story, but I think by the end, Light had become chaotic evil, drunk on his own power.

*Checks Youtube* Yeah, that second op sucks. Really, though, when I was reading the manga, I couldn't imagine an opening that would fit the series.
OP 1
OP 2

I had the idea that the Guyver opening would suit Death Note well. Maybe not, but while I was looking for it, I found an "image song" - well, just look at the lyrics!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:15:13 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 05:04:55 PM »
I think he started getting sloppy around the time L died. He always underestimates N and everyone else after that.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 06:09:06 PM »
I think he started getting sloppy around the time L died. He always underestimates N and everyone else after that.
One theory is that when L died, some kind of mind-weakening gas was released into the building. Then again, there are people who think that years before the story, L wrote "B is killed by someone with a Death Note with the conviction to use it and an intellect rivalling L's" in a Death Note, then relinquished ownership of it.
My work

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Death Note (Spoilers)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 08:29:19 AM »
At the start of the last episode I said "If Light loses because Mikami was a dumbass then I'm gonna be pissed."

I'm pissed.

Honestly, New World couldn't help but be absurdly anticlimatic after the ending of 1.28.  It could have been done a bit better.

NineInchNall

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:27:56 PM »
Honestly, Light after the death of L is a completely different character.  It's as if the writers realized that they had created a character too competent to lose, so they decided to modify him.

Lame, in other words.

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:48:32 PM »
Honestly, Light after the death of L is a completely different character.  It's as if the writers realized that they had created a character too competent to lose, so they decided to modify him.

Lame, in other words.

Agreed. Hell, I'd've come away from the series feeling satisfied if Light had actually created his New World.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 01:00:17 PM »

Lame, in other words.

The weakness that showed up after L died was there all along.  The reason he did so well in the first part is because L demonstrated that he could take advantage of Light's pride.  Then, Light made sure not to let pride get the best of him.

When L died, Light automatically assumed that no one else could possibly put all of the clues together and outwit him.  So his weakness comes flaring back to life.

But this is just my view of it.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 09:08:24 AM »
Alright, can we think of any other character who could stop Light?

I say Artemis Fowl could at least slow him down - the question is, can fairies and shinigami see each other, and are fairies affected by Death Notes? (alright, that's two questions). Still, if he can get a time-stop around Light, the Death Note will become useless.

(Yes, I know Batman could stop Light, but he's too obvious)
My work

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 04:19:36 PM »
The thread is spoiler marked, but here's another spoiler warning since I'll be discussing the entire series. If you haven't watched the entire thing, leave now.

First, Light is fucking epic. The man manages to manipulate all sorts of people, include FBI, the world's greatest detective, and even a Death God. The entire series (almost) is an example of epic level intellects and social skills in action. He's even willing to do some ballsy things like threaten an FBI agent in the open and not get caught. And he looks so casual doing it!

Now that that's out of the way...

It's suggested at the beginning and elaborated on later that Light was actually a pretty good guy at the beginning. Just like his dad. It's interesting to see how the notebook transforms and corrupts him, and the Light/L conflict drives the first 14 or so episodes and makes for a very interesting battle. It becomes increasingly apparent Light is actually smarter once he stops making stupid mistakes. Episode 15, it apparently goes all to shit when he's stopped a second way from getting L's name, then the captivity thing kicks in. That makes for multiple pretty bland episodes, especially since the new guys are really stupid despite their positions in the world and get themselves caught very easily, not to mention give L far too much information. The elaborate gambit, and manipulation of multiple beings pays off though and he finally beats his rival. Naturally, things are interesting again. The replacements for L... meh. Not nearly as entertaining, or as capable. Still though, having Light back to how he was makes watching a lot more entertaining. Misa seems more intelligent and less annoying as well.

But then at the end, one fuck up costs everything. And that's just a damn shame. If only he had stayed silent for a few seconds longer, and figured out the second layer of the trick that he should really know better about he would have been fine since he could have ordered that guy to put every name including Light but excepting N. What's more, the multi layered tricks were his thing first. Eh. Now, that would have been interesting because then it would seem like N is Kira. Hell, the fact the incompetent oaf who actually liked Kira (Matsuda) had to be the one to do it is disappointing enough. But even then, if he had another note on him, or was going to get one it could have still been a good ending because then he could have taken his enemies down with him at least. Or maybe Ryuk could do it. It's not lengthening Light's lifespan if he kills them and Light, is it? At least then the guy would get the last laugh, ya know? I am very disappointed with the ending. Yeah, dying with some dignity is nice, but being thwarted by the team dolt is not.

And the second opening is nowhere near as good as the first.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 04:40:08 PM »
And the second opening is nowhere near as good as the first crap.

Fix'd.
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 05:38:45 PM »
The second just leaves me thinking wtf. The first was fine. Though really, if they were going to change it they should have at least waited until the first no longer made sense. They switched too soon for that.

And I still say that ending could have been a lot better.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 08:29:45 PM »
I must say that when I watched the show, the first season (until L died) was excellent.  The second was boring.  And bad.  And hilariously bad.  I agree that Light was a whole new (stupider) character after L died.  Could he have just manifested his pride again because he felt no one would be as good as L in figuring out everything?  No, he was just stupider.  The entire follow-up felt as though it was forced by the writers.  Like they thought "OH, this is making a ton of money, let's continue it!", rather than "Hey, let's make a good show that makes sense".  They should have either had L catch Light, or have Light get his new world order.  Then die.  Because he was going to die.  Ryuk would see to that.  It was inevitable.

But yeah, after L died, I was just thinking to myself "when does it end..." until the final episode.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 08:47:13 PM »
I've heard this stupid thing a lot now. Aside from the end, I'm not seeing it. Can you be more specific?

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 10:56:54 PM »
???  Light being stupid?  Well, compared to the first half of the show, yeah, he just seemed a LOT sloppier, and his thought processes sometimes didn't make sense, and overall just felt a lot stupider.  Still brilliant, just nowhere near what he was.  Sort of like he was a genius, but handicapping himself for the kiddies, and M was too, really.  To me it was a black and white difference, the instant that new opening came (the instant L died).  It's been a while, so I can't be sure if the two were exactly coincidental, or if L died one or two episodes before the new opening.

And, no, I really can't be more specific.  I can't explain things very well...
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »
Actually, I don't see where L's death goes with the new opening, since the new intro came 5 episodes before L's death, not after.
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 11:37:13 PM »
Hmmm, maybe it wasn't a coincidence that the show went bad when the opening did.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 09:30:15 AM »
It got slow several episodes before the intro change.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 03:16:58 PM »
You guys realise it was based on a manga, right?
My work