Author Topic: Giant Wombat riding Paladin  (Read 2503 times)

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
Giant Wombat riding Paladin
« on: June 15, 2010, 04:33:58 PM »
In Sandstorm on page 48 it says that paladins from the waste can get a Diprotodon as its special mount.
Diprotodons have 9 HD attack routine of +13/8/8 and 76hp and they are a CR 5.
Then you add in the 2 bonus HD and point of strength from the paladin and this goes to 11HD and an attack routine of 16/11/11 and 93hp.

So is this the best Paladin mount that doesn't involve Feats or multiclassing?
This wasn't errated was it?
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Giant Wombat riding Paladin
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 09:58:27 PM »
I guess this leads me to the question of "Can we build a tier 3 Paladin?"
Now we mostly know that a paladin is a tier 5 class, but tiers have definitions.
And the definition for Tier 3 is

"Capable of doing one thing quite well, while still being useful when that one thing is inappropriate, or capable of doing all things, but not as well as classes that specialize in that area. Occasionally has a mechanical ability that can solve an encounter, but this is relatively rare and easy to deal with."

The Tier System has classes being able to shift up 2 tiers as part of it system.

So we only need to be able to do 1 thing well, and summon giant beat stick is pretty good. This isn't just any beat stick, this is a beat stick that has twice the HD of the other party members, which means it has options.
So lets work on what it can do well and try to get general use out of every other resource a paladin has that isn't his 5th level ability.

Lets give it VOP with its first two feats, so at 5th level it will start to get 4 bonus feats. Put the stat boost to Strength and Con, so its attack routine becomes 20/15/15 at d8+13/d6+7/d6+7, which is not too shabby. An AC of 23, 104hp, Saves of F13, R 7 W 5 and we still have 6 feats to play around with to help correct some of its issues, like its low Will save.

So is Wombat Beat Down good enough to qualify for "capable of doing one thing well" at this point?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:12:45 PM »
So is Wombat Beat Down good enough to qualify for "capable of doing one thing well" at this point?
If that one thing is making everyone at the table burst out laughing when you say it, definitely.  If it's actually killing enemies, I'll have to take a better look at it.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:22:16 PM »
Needs supermount to be a true combat wombat.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:21:34 AM »
Wanted to go straight Paladin on this.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 10:43:10 AM »
I haven't looked this one up, but I thought the Drakensteed(Dragon Magic) one of the best Mounts readily availible at ECL 5.
It can fly, counts as dragonblooded(Draconic Aura anyone?) and has reasonable Stats. Only 4 HD and it's single Bite men it isn't much of a fighter.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 02:15:08 PM »
Yeah, this is 9hd and a burrow speed. And screw dragons, did I mention that this Wombat is also a dinosaur? Well I am now.
I'll go look up Draken steed now

DMM4ever

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 07:41:40 PM »
I believe there was a post regarding this sort of thing using a megarapor and making a megarapor Jesus with eyelazors in Youbreak it You buy it.

Anyhow, i'll post what I can remember.

Take Druid, apply druid abilities for animal compainion to mount.  Take Beastmaster which gives drd lvl +3 to animal companionness.  Afterwards you takess fome PRC (that you must be a halfling for) and it lets you combine levels of druid and pally to make an ubermount.  I don't really understand how it worked in the first place...

Anyhow, when I made a pally who specialized in mounts I took Leadership and applied the cohort levels to the mount.  Still one of my favorite charachters. (I gave the mount paladin levels so it could get a mount XD)

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 07:45:03 PM »
Er, we try to keep things book legal around here.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 05:18:41 AM »
Leadership mount is not just legal, its core legal. Its  -2 level for the mount benefits. Then probably add another 3 from the dragon cohort feat.

DMM4ever

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 05:06:41 PM »
Leadership mount is not just legal, its core legal. Its  -2 level for the mount benefits. Then probably add another 3 from the dragon cohort feat.

I thought so.  Thanks for the clarification.

On a side note, Pure pladin is bad, but if we want to build a T3 pure pally I have a question:
Can cohorts take leadership? If so, then you could be riding a pyramid of creatures making pally actually playable (and a lot funnier). (assuming lvl 20, lvl 16 mount/Paladin, lvl12 Mount's Mount/Paladin, lvl 8 Mount's Mount's Mount/Paladin etc.)

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »
Sorry, I fail.  Not sure what the hell misfired in my brain to briefly make me think paladins suffered the same basic pet restriction as druids and sor/wiz do.

If I cared for my family, I suppose I'd have to commit seppuku to minimize the dishonour to them.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 06:01:06 PM »
Lotsa supermount questions here. I didn't use paladin, so my fully optimized build might not be useful.

On the straight pally to tier 3 thing, I assume you want a niche build at level 5. A tier-4 pally here seems reasonable.

You might be able to DCFS its old feats, if you are going to mount VOP-level cheese. This seems like extreme optimization and could bump you up another tier.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 09:05:37 PM »
I was thinking that the mount could bump it to tier4 by itself and use the paladin pitch hitting for the rest of the bump.