Author Topic: Help! Optimizing the process of Identifying items? Our party needs help!  (Read 3293 times)

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Hi there, for a by-the-book (except for actual character wealth, which is LOW in this campaign) DM, what ways of Identifying magical items require the least expenditure of party resources, namely GOLD and Character options like Skill Ranks, Classes, Skill Tricks, and Feats? We don't have a Wizard, just a Sorcerer.  Scrolls of Identify are 125 gp, which is expensive in this low wealth game.  What are the most useful ways for a low level party (2nd, 3rd level mostly, with one character in fourth level or so), to fully identify strange magic items when in town? How about when in the field? Are there any guides to doing this anywhere? If there are, I couldn't find them. Thanks!
BG's other resident furry!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Well, a kobold sorcerer can pick it up as a SLA

A higher level item, the artificer's monocle, can get you it in exchange for a casting of detect magic.

I think there's an identification skill trick, but it probably requires too many ranks for you to get.

The divine version of identify doesn't have a material component, so a cleric with the magic domain can cast it for free.  The cost for hiring a NPC caster is caster level * spell level* 10 gp, and 60 gp is significantly better than 125.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
1 level in Dragonfire Adept could give you an Invocation that fits the bill.
At-will Detect Magic, end duration to cast Identify as a standard action.
Then re-cast the invocation.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Invictus1988

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Make an Artificer lol

Invictus1988

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
what i mean is, a lvl 1 artificer has the "Artificer knowledge" class skill that allows them to know the magical properties of the item (not the exact powers of it).  Which is why i have the artificers monocle.  it basically gives the artificer a free Identify cast without do anything more than spending an extra min studying the item.  I believe it costs 2000g, but it's well worth the investment.  of course if you craft it, it costs 1000g 80xp and 2 days.

lianightdemon

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
That little gem is 1500gp and is found in the MIC on page 72. It also works for someone with detect magic. So you could hire a mage to cast a permanencied detect magic on someone with 5 ranks of knowledge arcana.

That works right?

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
That little gem is 1500gp and is found in the MIC on page 72. It also works for someone with detect magic. So you could hire a mage to cast a permanencied detect magic on someone with 5 ranks of knowledge arcana.

That works right?

That's what my PCs usually use.

Additionally, MIC p.217 lists means of identifying items.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
A Psion can learn psionic identify as a level 2 power.  A Cleric with the Magic domain can cast identify as a L2 spell with no component.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

LargePrime

• Curious George
Hi there, for a by-the-book (except for actual character wealth, which is LOW in this campaign) DM, what ways of Identifying magical items require the least expenditure of party resources, namely GOLD and...  
Identify, cast by a cleric.  Magic 2.  Free.

Anyone see that Ninja?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 11:28:21 AM by LargePrime »

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
Eternal wand of identify. 2 times per day, identify the item. It's 820 gp, but will last forever.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
Eternal wand of identify. 2 times per day, identify the item. It's 820 gp, but will last forever.

Although techniquely the eternal wands don't specifically state that spells with material components cost more, usually spells with expensive material components have much higher costs when placed in items (50 x the material component for typical charged items, 100x for daily items).  Plus the wands are arcane so they cannot perform the material free divine version of the spell. 

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email

Although techniquely the eternal wands don't specifically state that spells with material components cost more, usually spells with expensive material components have much higher costs when placed in items (50 x the material component for typical charged items, 100x for daily items).  Plus the wands are arcane so they cannot perform the material free divine version of the spell. 

Get a cleric to make it?

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks

Get a cleric to make it?
Eternal Wands can't be divine only arcane.  That said Eternal Wands are based off the price of a custom magic item that is 2 a day.  So you should be able to go to your DM and ask for it...nicely.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Have to agree that Artificers Monocle is my favorite as well. 

Cloistered Clerics also get Identify on their spell list and don't have to use the pearl in the casting.
Placeholder - T'tosc

Daedalus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
divine magician, cloistered cleric

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
An Archivist who makes nice with a Cleric of Magic.  :P
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
A 4th level Psion with the Linked Power feat from CPsi could manifest Detect Psionics and link Psionic Identify for a total expense of 4 PP. No tangible resource costs.

Daedalus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
also:

pay low lvl caster to do it (NPC) a couple of times, kill him & take everything back, skip town...

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
also:

pay low lvl caster to do it (NPC) a couple of times, kill him & take everything back, skip town...
This is turning out to be one of those plans.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]