Author Topic: Re: The 3.5 Cleric Handbook  (Read 1308 times)

Arisette

• Monkey bussiness
Re: The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
« on: June 12, 2010, 05:54:54 PM »
*Note: I'm guessing that because I just created my own account that I cannot post a topic in a help thread yet. I couldn't for the life of me find a "Post Topic" button or anything of the sort in the Min/Max help forum. If a moderator is reading this and desires to move this reply elsewhere in a more appropriate spot, by all means! =)*

Okay, hold onto your hats folks, 'cause this one is a slight doozy.

Our DM is granting us Gestalt up to level 15 (any levels gained thereafter will also be gestalt) and he's adding the Paragon template (Epic Level Handbook) to us as well. The premise is that we're descended from gods. So, with an ECL 26, we have access to the Epic Level feats and such, but we do have limitations due to Skill Rank requirements.

I'm in the process of choosing between a mounted archer (bowman charger featured in the Dragon Magazine #325) and a Ruby Knight "Win"dicator. I am going to build both and outfit both and decide between them which one to play for the campaign (and use the one I decide not to play as a back-up character in case the other dies or isn't going well).

Here are a few tidbits about the campaign itself (its been mostly a mystery to us):
We are going to be fighting on different planes (as if the material plane would offer a party of 4 Gestalt Paragons a formidable challenge). We may fight armies, we may fight one large creature. Flexibility is something I've been trying to account for and I've been looking through Alternate class features in the Planar Handbook.
We are Good in alignment, but religions/deities are subject to interpretation (the DM's take on religion in D&D is that there is no real black and white, only shades of grey and subject to various forms of interpretation by multiple moralities).
Our starting gold is that of a level 21 character (975k). We were granted 5 levels during a boardgame night because our party tank managed to defeat 8 zombies in a row in the game Zombies! on one life and no bullets. He gave us 5 additional levels albeit at the penalty of no increased gold after losing his proposed bet.
Though the Paragon template grants us Fast Healing 20 and DR 20/+6, the DM is taking this into account when choosing his monsters, so some healing is nice, though the party does not need a designated healer (in the DM's words, which I agree).
One person in the party is already going to play "tank" and the other two are doing some sort of ranged spell casting.

The dilemma:

I'm trying to build a fun-to-play and min/maxed character. I've done my research and I'm thoroughly familiar with archery... however, I have never played a cleric or a cleric-based PrC. However, even I, who has not played a Cleric or a RKV, can appreciate the ridiculousness of Divine Impetus. Therefore, my desired role with a RKV will be the party's primary melee damage dealer (our tank is gearing to be ridiculously hard to hit, so much of her funds are going toward defensive gear). I'll be utilizing the RKV's "Sneaking around" tactics to flank opponents and utilize the Travel Devotion feat with Divine Impetus for speed.

However, under the Cleric Handbook's passage about the RKV and proposed uses for Divine Impetus in regards to Spell casting, I'm at an impasse. Do I Gestalt into Paladin and obtain the Battle Blessing feat? Or do I take the feat with a dip into Prestige Paladin?

Paladin spells aside, I originally planned on taking Cleric to 10 for the benefit of the +5 divine caster levels from RKV 7- I'd be able to cast as a 15th level Cleric. That being said, I gain one 8th spell (not including bonus spells, however, which would be 2). I could only Quicken three 4th level spells- but at ECL 26, how effective would those spells be? I suppose I could use my spell casting for self-healing or party buffing (but with two other spell casters, haste is pretty much taken care of, and buff spells wouldn't stack with our magical gear).

In other words, I do want to take advantage of higher-level spells even as a melee combatant.

My current build is as follows:

1. Cleric       Crusader
2. Cleric       Paladin
3. Cleric       Paladin
4. Cleric       Paladin
5. Cleric       Paladin
6. Cleric       RKV
7. Cleric       RKV
8. Cleric       RKV
9. Cleric       RKV
10. Cleric       RKV
11. Paladin     RKV
12. Paladin     RKV
13. Paladin     ???
14. Paladin     ???
15. Paladin     ???

Base stats:
18, 15, 17, 13, 17, 17
Paragon adds +15 to all ability scores.

Additional thoughts/comments: I like the concept of a Crusader. Trading Paladin for Crusader levels wouldn't really bother me (but, Paragon adds 15 to all ability scores.. that with Divine Grace from 2nd level pally = STUPID saves!) to gain additional stances and Strikes/maneuvers. I would like to remain as a 10th Cleric with 7 levels in RKV so I can gain access to those juicier spells. Now, whether or not I use Divine Impetus for spells isn't really a big thing to me- maybe an "OH CRAP" Quickened Healing spell here or there, but otherwise using Divine Impetus for melee purposes would be just fine. I picked paladin for the mount (I have an obsession with flying mounts but I can just as easily buy wings of flying), the saves, and the possibility of using Battle Blessing with paladin spells. Of course, Fighter is also a solid choice, but the versatility of Crusader's Stances/Maneuvers is appealing over straight Fighter feats, especially the granted DR and ability to overcome DR with the various Strikes (which I'm concerned about- with an archer, it's relatively easy to overcome DR- add the Force enchant, but what about melee weapons?)

What I'm getting at is... what do you think of the build? What would you suggest I change or look to do with a RKV? Any suggestions with feats (and where to find them), gear (I'm leaning toward a two-handed weapon), combos or sample builds? Any and all pieces of advice would be welcome regarding this dilemma.