Author Topic: Zern from MM4  (Read 2946 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Zern from MM4
« on: June 12, 2010, 05:06:51 PM »
I'd never really given these guys a look until this morning.  The idea of their biological creature experiments was stupid to me (though the same thing works for the Daelkyr, dunno why), and so I just ignored them.

Actually took a look at it today, and I thought the Zern itself was quite interesting.  It reminds me of the Uthraiki from Unapproachable East.  It can assume humanoid or monstrous humanoid forms, and can grow to large size.  It also has fast healing.  Instead of a claw/rend attack, it has a magical attack (melee or ranged, NOT a touch attack) dealing 4d6+2 damage

I'm thinking of using them as a variety of troll (broad Norse use of the word) for my viking game.

Anybody used these before?  How do they stack up in a fight?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Zern from MM4
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 04:51:29 PM »
Be sure to look at their interesting defensive and offensive abilities. Also if I remember correctly they are immune to fort save targeting abilities and critical, which messes up a lot of character archetypes.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Zern from MM4
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:10:34 PM »
Be sure to look at their interesting defensive and offensive abilities. Also if I remember correctly they are immune to fort save targeting abilities and critical, which messes up a lot of character archetypes.
Yes, I rather liked the DR 5 (10?)/Piercing.  The Large size is what does it for me, though (I'm weird that way...)

Wow... that has completely unintentional innuendos strewn throughout...

Anyway, yes, they have some very interesting morphing and escaping abilities.  Thematically (for use as a troll) I'd stick to the DR, the strength surge, and the size alteration (and the alternate forms).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread