Author Topic: Fear the Unknown [3.5] recruitment and rules  (Read 22022 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Fear the Unknown [3.5] recruitment and rules
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2010, 10:26:26 AM »
Okay, I think I'll go with Sentinel of Bharrai, but I need to know a few things.

Can I count Bear Shape as Wild Shape for Natural Spell and Wild Armor? If not, it's not tragic, I'd just have to spend a feat more on Still+Silent Spell in order to cast in bear form (yay MM reductions).
Couldn't you just use Surrogate Spellcasting?

How about a homebrew Bear Domain? :D
You could always adapt this feat. :D

Colonel Bearwulf Clawbearer
Doesn't Beowulf mean "bear"? (something like "bee seeker")
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »
Okay, I think I'll go with Sentinel of Bharrai, but I need to know a few things.

Can I count Bear Shape as Wild Shape for Natural Spell and Wild Armor? If not, it's not tragic, I'd just have to spend a feat more on Still+Silent Spell in order to cast in bear form (yay MM reductions).
Couldn't you just use Surrogate Spellcasting?
Wasn't aware of that feat. Depends on whether MS lets me qualify, I suppose. Should be possible, since I can be in bear for all the time.

How about a homebrew Bear Domain? :D
You could always adapt this feat. :D
Eh, I already have a whole list of feats I want, even using my one-time ignore on SoB's feat prereqs. :P

Colonel Bearwulf Clawbearer
Doesn't Beowulf mean "bear"? (something like "bee seeker")
I wasn't sure. Edited so it's less obvious.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:07:53 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2010, 06:05:53 PM »
Quote from: Agita
Bear Cavalry
Couldn't stop laughing.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2010, 06:22:21 PM »
Agita: I think the Bear domain is fine, but Bharrai granting both the Bear and the Animal domain is redundant - one or the other, if you would. For the domain granted power, I'd just let you gain Surrogate Spellcasting as a bonus feat and be done with it.

Partial saves and BAB are all good too.

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2010, 06:26:02 PM »
A few Gods for the Pantheon of the Protectorate:
Korion
[spoiler]Intermediate God
Symbol: A blue circle surrounding a black triangle- within lie three unblinking eyes at each corner of the triangle.
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Portfolio: Illusion, Shadow, Change
Worshipers: Anyone may worship Korion, though a large portion of his followers include Shapeshifters, Rogues and Scallywags, Illusionists, and even some divinity-minded Aberrations.
Domains: Illusion, Darkness, Transformation (RoE 181), Trickery
Favored Weapon: Hand Crossbow
Lore: The Lord of the Farthest Realm, The King of the Black, The Shadow King; For the longest of times, he barely registered as a power within the pantheon. Whenever a kingdom, empire, or any mere city would crumble, however, Korion rose up from its ruin hoping to take some measure of its glory as his own. Feared by some to be evil, he does not quite qualify as he has no particular love of suffering or cruelty; he is rather motivated simply by self-interest and a love for change. He craves attention, having been deprived of it for so long, and cares not where he gets it. He thus accepts worshipers of all alignments, races, and creeds.

Dogma: Korion's adherents are bidden to seek change in all its forms. His followers are typically nomadic, or otherwise restructure their permanent homes and settlements regularly. An individual might, for instance, might change their hair color monthly, or might otherwise seek out transformative or illusory magics to alter their appearance. Warriors are encouraged to take a side in battles for liberation, revolution, or conquest; anything to alter the status quo. Followers often interpret their divine charge differently, and of course this pleases Korion to no end.

Clergy: Korion has few permanent churches, but clerics and priests are plentiful. Typically, they roam from town to town, preaching change and transformation of the soul. Some of the more zealous take a more aggressive role in such change, and provide for the bulk of the bad reputation Korion's church receives on a daily basis.[/spoiler]

Cyntas
[spoiler]Greater God
Symbol: Unknown (though hidden, ancient enclaves reveal his symbol to be a longsword surrounded by clouds)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Portfolio: Dreams, Secrets, Pride, Safe Travel
Domains: Dream, Planning, Truth (RoE 181), Law, Travel
Worshipers: Few, if any.
Favored Weapon: Longsword

Lore: The Silent Watcher, The Phantom Traveler; The first of the Gods, little is known of him. As the pantheon grew, so did his paranoia. Expecting one of the younger deities to attempt to usurp his power, he went into reclusion, and none have heard word from him to this day.

However, hidden away nearly as well are his followers. They broker secrets, and are not afraid to take up a cause if they feel it aligns with their personal code of morals. All strive to keep secret their God's influence, but draw strength from him nonetheless. They spread throughout the world keeping it safe without regards to good or evil, though typically this effort leans closer to Good tendencies.
[/spoiler]

Mul-Morgen
[spoiler]Greater Goddess
Symbol: A raven perched in front of a rising sun
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Portfolio: Magic, Honor, Sacrifice, Scholarship
Worshipers: Varies; Primarily good-aligned creatures, and primarily humans (though many races respect her goals and values)
Domains: Magic, Glory, Strength, Knowledge, Protection
Favored Weapon: Morningstar
Lore: Mul-Morgen the Raven-haired, The Dawn Queen, The Mistress of Tomes (also, sometimes, "The Hot Librarian", via the cruder populace); Mul-Morgen is a powerful deity, and a great force for good. She was once a mortal princess, hidden from the world due by her family due to being born frail. She grew tired of being imprisoned from a world she knew to be much wider than her own courtyard, and so staged a daring, difficult escape. Upon her success, Mul-Morgen discovered a strong, innate connection to magic, which allowed her to see the world in an entirely new way. She trained her body and mind, overcoming impossible odds through force of will and determination. Her unique talents allowed her to grow strong, and she put her strength in arms and in magic to ending what tyrannies and evils she came across. Upon her ascension into godhood, she formed a group of divine warriors to further her goals and help protect the world. They are the Knights of the Raven, and their main goal is to fight evil undead, though they take up the charge of fighting against evil wherever it arises.

Dogma: Always seek to improve oneself, while helping others to improve themselves. Be strong in body, mind, and soul, and always strive to fight tyranny and evil.

Clergy: Primarily made up of clerics and paladins, there is still a plentiful number of priests who devote themselves to serving communities. Adherents build churches, libraries, and schools, though almost always teach the community to tend after such facilities themselves in an attempt to help them become self-sufficient.
[/spoiler]

Just to name a few. :)

I was looking possibly to trying out something like Warlock 1/ Cleric 4/ Eldritch Disciple 8/ Knight of the Raven 7 (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, pg. 200); aka the Super Holy Warrior build.
Concept would be blending a a primary base of Cleric with a little holy warlock endurance: A Divine, Eldritch Champion of Good.
I might tweak the build a bit though. Also not entirely sold on going with Illumian like in the linked build.
I would have gone with a Cleric-Shadowcraft Mage, but someone else wanted to make one, so I'll leave that to them. :)

I'm also looking at other build options and cool prestige classes, so that could still change. :D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:39:01 PM by VennDygrem »

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2010, 06:27:14 PM »
Agita: I think the Bear domain is fine, but Bharrai granting both the Bear and the Animal domain is redundant - one or the other, if you would. For the domain granted power, I'd just let you gain Surrogate Spellcasting as a bonus feat and be done with it.

Partial saves and BAB are all good too.
Works for me and edited. Any thoughts on the third level spell?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2010, 06:27:37 PM »
By the by, while I'm plotting how to hurt Mr. Green and writing the history/world of MystThe Protectorate (and loving how all of your gods make it easier on me  :D), is it fractional BAB/saves or no? I assume no, since I didn't see it in the OP.

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2010, 06:30:41 PM »
Flay: Fractional BAB/saves is fine.

Agita: This may help you find what you seek.

Venn: The deities seem great, but Cyntas is missing at least two domains (he's a greater god). The reason the build goes with illumian is early qualification for eldritch disciple - I don't think it'll be necessary in this game.

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2010, 06:36:48 PM »
Hmmm... The only one at a level close to appropiate that I can find with the site is Bear's Heart, which is a 4th level one. I could make Lesser Planar Exchange 3rd, since it's not that great anyway (I can just polymorph into a bear, after all) and put that in at 4th.
Bear's Endurance is actually useless with our houserules, but oh well.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2010, 06:37:09 PM »
Venn: The deities seem great, but Cyntas is missing at least two domains (he's a greater god). The reason the build goes with illumian is early qualification for eldritch disciple - I don't think it'll be necessary in this game.

Whoops, forgot to edit that bit as I was going along. Edited now to include Law and Travel, updated alignment to Lawful Neutral, and added Safe Travel as a Portfolio.

Also, I was aware of the early entry shenanigans, but due to the houserules, as you mention, it wouldn't be necessary. Plus the +1 caster level sigil wouldn't be useful at all. :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:58:09 PM by VennDygrem »

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2010, 06:57:32 PM »
Flay: Fractional BAB/saves is fine.
Well I only ask because a lot of DM's think it lowers the power curve, making things more balanced. I'll grant you, I prefer the other, and I think that's what others have been building with.

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2010, 07:01:40 PM »
Flay: I've always believed fractional BAB and saves are how the system should have been arranged, if the designers had been less incompetent. ;)

Sohala: Congratulations - once you have a sheet posted, you will be the first complete submission!

Venn: All good.

Agita: That seems fine.

Check them both out!

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2010, 07:22:59 PM »
Name is link to sheet, did you want it typed out?

I have 5 class skills with cleric, what ones does Cloistered give me, and if there is not four or more, how do you want to deal with cross class at first level?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:25:04 PM by Sohala »
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2010, 07:41:51 PM »
So a friend just pointed out that Goodberry is too funny to pass up as a spell for the Bear domain. I'm thinking maybe I'll shift Claws of the Bear to level 2 and Put in Goodberry at 1, taking out the useless Bear's Endurance. Then the final version would look like this:

Bear Domain

Granted Power: Gain Surrogate Spellcasting as a bonus feat.

Bear domain spells
1Goodberry
2Claws of the Bear
3Lesser Planar Exchange*
4Bear's Heart
5Draconic Polymorph**
6Bite of the Werebear
7Animal Shapes**
8Phantom Bear
9Shapechange**

*Celestial Brown Bear only.
**Bear forms of bear-like forms only (all bears, ursinals etc. - DM has final say)

Getting to work on a sheet now. Maybe I'll be the second to post a complete submission!

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2010, 08:08:18 PM »
Getting to work on a sheet now. Maybe I'll be the second to post a complete submission!

I would've if I hadn't been at work all this time! :P

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2010, 08:15:14 PM »

I would've if I hadn't been at work all this time! :P
Well, that's what you get for having a life. :P

EDIT: Hmm... Would Natural Bond apply to Wild Cohort, or only to abilities that are explicitly called Animal Companion?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 08:30:32 PM by Agita »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2010, 10:41:10 PM »
Here's a question. Assuming one were planning to go into Hellfire Warlock at some point. Would a Strongheart vest still allow you to use the hellfire abilities? For reference, the Strongheart Vest is from Magic of Incarnum, and specifically reduces ability damage by one point each time you take ability damage. Hellfire Warlock abilities state that they do not work if the user has no con score or is immune to ability damage. However, the Strongheart Vest doesn't make you immune to damage, it just reduces the amount by 1 point. There is, of course, a widespread debate over how to interpret this. It's usually accepted to take a level of Binder for Naberius's faster ability damage healing, but I'd like to avoid having to take a one level dip and throw off my build composition when I can take a feat (Shape Soulmeld) and get a similar effect.

Adding three levels of Hf Warlock (heavily re-fluffed, of course) would add some nice extra power to the warlock abilities, without giving up too many effective cleric levels. The build I'm currently working off of would still result in a majority of cleric casting, but it would be backed up with better eldritch blast-ability.

The idea is to eventually run around wielding a mighty glaive made entirely out of sheer will and devotion to my deity. :D

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2010, 11:29:39 PM »
So...how many players are there already? Are we doing this by pbp?
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2010, 11:56:26 PM »
There are many interested parties, but I think Mister Sinister is going to just pick his favorites out of the submissions (or by some other selection method).