Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition  (Read 127820 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition
« Reply #260 on: June 18, 2010, 03:34:30 PM »
Q77: Are there any ways for a character to bypass a Balor's Poison Immunity without resorting to Ravages (BoED)?
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #261 on: June 18, 2010, 03:39:34 PM »
Q78 How do I give myself a signature?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #262 on: June 18, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »
Q78 How do I give myself a signature?
A 78

Go to your profile and click on 'Forum Profile Information' in the sidebar on the left.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #263 on: June 18, 2010, 03:54:34 PM »
Q 79: A PC with an everburning torch is assaulted by a Darkmantle who casts Darkness as a Supernatural ability.  Is the everburning torch suppressed or dispelled?  Does it make a difference if the everburning torch was made by a wizard or a cleric (Clr 3/Wiz 2 Continual Flame vs Clr 2/Wiz 2 Darkness)?

What would be the end result for lighting conditions?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 04:10:46 PM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #264 on: June 18, 2010, 04:03:54 PM »
Q 79: A PC with an everburning torch is assaulted by a Darkmantle who casts Darkness as a Supernatural ability.  Is the everburning torch suppressed or dispelled?  Does it make a difference if the everburning torch was made by a wizard or a cleric (Clr 3/Wiz 2 Continual Flame vs Clr 2/Wiz 2 Darkness)?
Everburning torches are suppressed by darkness, per the spell description, regardless of if it was heightened to 9th level when it was made.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #265 on: June 18, 2010, 04:09:04 PM »
Q 79: A PC with an everburning torch is assaulted by a Darkmantle who casts Darkness as a Supernatural ability.  Is the everburning torch suppressed or dispelled?  Does it make a difference if the everburning torch was made by a wizard or a cleric (Clr 3/Wiz 2 Continual Flame vs Clr 2/Wiz 2 Darkness)?
Everburning torches are suppressed by darkness, per the spell description, regardless of if it was heightened to 9th level when it was made.
How do you figure?  It isn't "normal light."  It is a light spell of either equal or higher level. Nothing else in either spell description mentions any other interaction between continual flame and darkness spells.

Also, an addendum to the question, what would be the end result for lighting conditions?

Q 80: Can a Scout skirmish while in shadowy illumination, such as that created by a darkness spell? (IIRC, a rogue cannot sneak attack in such situations)
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #266 on: June 18, 2010, 04:11:32 PM »
Q 79: A PC with an everburning torch is assaulted by a Darkmantle who casts Darkness as a Supernatural ability.  Is the everburning torch suppressed or dispelled?  Does it make a difference if the everburning torch was made by a wizard or a cleric (Clr 3/Wiz 2 Continual Flame vs Clr 2/Wiz 2 Darkness)?
How do you figure?  It isn't "normal light."  It is a light spell of either equal or higher level. Nothing else in either spell description mentions any other interaction between continual flame and darkness spells.

Also, an addendum to the question, what would be the end result for lighting conditions.

Q 80: Can a Scout skirmish while in shadowy illumination, such as that created by a darkness spell? (IIRC, a rogue cannot sneak attack in such situations)
Hmm, looks like it no longer effects magical torches. So it would suppress the light spell if the light spell were lower level, cancel each other out if they were equal, or have no effect if the light spell was higher. I stand corrected.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #267 on: June 18, 2010, 04:12:28 PM »
A 80

The scout must be 'able to see the target well nough to pick out a vital spot'. Presumably, poor lighting would hinder it, though it doesn't actually come out and say that concealment stops Skirmish, unlike SA. I suppose that's a no by RAI.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #268 on: June 18, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
Q81 What are some of the better ways to get Frightful Presence, without a limited use restriction (rounds/day, uses/day, that sort of thing; I want something I can maintain 24/7)?  Things that require lots actions input, like intimidation, are out; I'm looking for stuff more along the lines of passive auras.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #269 on: June 18, 2010, 07:11:42 PM »
Q77: Are there any ways for a character to bypass a Balor's Poison Immunity without resorting to Ravages (BoED)?
Knowledge affiliation
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #270 on: June 18, 2010, 07:14:05 PM »
Define "resorting to" because the only thing else that I can think of is pretty drastic. The Blade of Ragnarok, using the 3.5 Non-Epic Epic Destiny variant rule, has as a 20th level ability Destiny Strike (Su) which allows you to suppress immunities, among other things.

Destiny Strike (Su): At 30th level, you can make attacks that strip away the defenses of powerful enemies. You can use this ability three times per day. Before making an attack, you can declare it to be a destiny strike (a free action). If you hit, the DM lists all of the following the hit creature possesses: damage reduction, fast healing, immunities, miss chance (including from incorporeality), regeneration, resistance to energy, spell resistance, and turn resistance. You can suppress one of those benefits for 3 rounds. If it has multiple types of immunities or resistances, choose only one. The DM lists only the types, not the amounts. For example, the DM would tell you a monster has fast healing, fire resistance, and spell resistance, not that it has fast healing 23, fire resistance 10, and spell resistance 35.

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #271 on: June 18, 2010, 07:40:31 PM »
How is the saving throw against a swordsages manoeuvres determined?
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #272 on: June 18, 2010, 07:46:03 PM »
How is the saving throw against a swordsages manoeuvres determined?
It should be detailed in the relevant Maneuver's description. Usually, it's 10+Maneuver's Level+Wis mod.

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #273 on: June 18, 2010, 07:48:26 PM »
Q81 What are some of the better ways to get Frightful Presence, without a limited use restriction (rounds/day, uses/day, that sort of thing; I want something I can maintain 24/7)?  Things that require lots actions input, like intimidation, are out; I'm looking for stuff more along the lines of passive auras.

A81: The Frightful Presence feat (draconomicon p. 106) activates whenever you attack or charge, without any additional action on your part.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #274 on: June 18, 2010, 08:00:20 PM »
Q 82 How much healing does a Factotum's "channel divine energy" do once they get Opportunistic Piety?

Q 83 Can a Factotum use a Pearl of Power to get a spell back that they've used?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #275 on: June 18, 2010, 09:27:52 PM »
Q 82 How much healing does a Factotum's "channel divine energy" do once they get Opportunistic Piety?

Q 83 Can a Factotum use a Pearl of Power to get a spell back that they've used?

A82: (Factotum Level x2) + INT mod each time. You can use it 3 + WIS mod times/day to heal or turn.

A83: No. PoP require you to both prepare and cast the spell to be recalled. Factotums prepare spells, but don't cast them.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #276 on: June 18, 2010, 10:14:01 PM »
I know that there are some poisons which specifically ignore poison immunity on outsiders, but I don't remember where they are from.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #277 on: June 18, 2010, 10:42:14 PM »
Q84: I'm making my first epic spellcaster, a Druid level 25, and i'm wondering if it's worth getting Epic Spellcasting, and what Spells are worth taking a look, could anybody give me some hints?

I've already taken a look at all spells and they all seem so not userful and expensive... I could really use some help ._.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #278 on: June 18, 2010, 10:45:16 PM »
Q84: I'm making my first epic spellcaster, a Druid level 25, and i'm wondering if it's worth getting Epic Spellcasting, and what Spells are worth taking a look, could anybody give me some hints?

I've already taken a look at all spells and they all seem so not userful and expensive... I could really use some help ._.
A 84

Epic Spellcasting is one of the most broken mechanics in 3.5 because you get to make your own epic spells, and mitigating factors can lower the DC (and this the cost and time needed to create them) to 0. The secret is in taking Leadership and Epic Leadership and making all of your spells rituals (and preferably long-duration buffs or Mythals). However, discretion is strongly recommended unless you wish to break the game.
If you're restricted to the epic spells printed in the book, don't bother.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #279 on: June 18, 2010, 10:47:26 PM »
A84:  Yes, it's worth getting Epic Spellcasting.  Craft your own spell called I Win. Yawn. Now Let's Go Back To Playing Something Where I Have To Work At Winning.  Cause that's pretty much what Epic Spellcasting is like anyway.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."