Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition  (Read 128221 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Robot Ninja Pirate Edition
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2010, 09:43:05 PM »
WotC seems to count a bonus/penalty to charisma as being worth half that of other stats.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2010, 09:51:06 PM »
WotC seems to count a bonus/penalty to charisma as being worth half that of other stats.
Actually it is all mental stats are worth 1/2 that of the physical stats. See DMG page 173
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

rypta

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
Q36: I'm currently away from my books and am wondering if someone could be so kind as to provide me with a summary of the Stun Ray spell from SpC.  I know its 1 round of stun in a succesful fort(?) save, but is it 1d4+1 rounds on a failed save?  Ranged touch attack?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2010, 12:59:56 PM »
Ah-ha! I knew it was somewhere. If only RC weren't so obscure that I forget about it all the time.

Indeed, but note that the DMG directly contradicts this (it says it's a standard action if the spell casting time would be less) so if your DM doesn't use the RC, it won't work.

JaronK

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2010, 01:58:26 PM »
q37:Does size increases in racial progressions(Dragons, trolls, giants etc) give them stat adjustments?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
q37:Does size increases in racial progressions(Dragons, trolls, giants etc) give them stat adjustments?
A37
According to p.294 of MM (or at least the way I read it) -- yes
HERE's a partial copy of that (check-out the text under "size increases", under the "increasing hit dice" heading).

Keep in mind: in the case of dragons, et al., that have an individual advancement chart, those increases are already accounted for.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2010, 03:02:56 PM »
What trolls and giants actually advance by racial HD?  Most all of them I can think of advance by class.

... unless they have the Beast of Xvim template, of course.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Zombieboots

• Ska-ull
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2010, 03:04:07 PM »
Question 38: I and my party have just acquired a sanctum of our own and a sizable plot of land to go with it... In a graveyard. Not looking for OP boards help just yet. But what would be the best books to look through to deck out our new abode.
Ah! Maddness. Thank you.[spoiler][/spoiler]

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2010, 03:08:02 PM »
What trolls and giants actually advance by racial HD?  Most all of them I can think of advance by class.

I was actually talking about Racial Progressions(E.G. Savage Species and the like)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2010, 03:08:37 PM »

He might be talking about monster classes.  Most of those start out at a smaller size than they finish at.

EDIT: Ninjad by about 20 seconds
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2010, 03:17:15 PM »
Question 38: I and my party have just acquired a sanctum of our own and a sizable plot of land to go with it... In a graveyard. Not looking for OP boards help just yet. But what would be the best books to look through to deck out our new abode.
A 38

Stronghold Builder's Guidebook. Yes, there's a book specifically about building a fortress.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »

I was actually talking about Racial Progressions(E.G. Savage Species and the like)
oh -- disregard my last answer.

I believe all those have all of their stat boosts built in to their level progressions

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2010, 03:53:17 PM »

I believe all those have all of their stat boosts built in to their level progressions
Indeed.  Note that all savage progressions build up to the base creature, and thus savage progressions don't necessarily follow those rules for stat adjustments and size increases.  Take the savage progression as-is; it is all you need to deal with such a character.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2010, 03:54:25 PM »

Indeed.  Note that all savage progressions build up to the base creature, and thus savage progressions don't necessarily follow those rules for stat adjustments and size increases.  Take the savage progression as-is; it is all you need to deal with such a character.
IIRC, the stat adjustments you get from a monster class don't equal those you get from using the monster as a race.  I know this is the case with the Oger.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2010, 03:56:07 PM »
IIRC, the stat adjustments you get from a monster class don't equal those you get from using the monster as a race.  I know this is the case with the Oger.
Actually it does. I've got an ogre PC in my campaign, and I thought the same thing. It does balanced out over all. Also, one thing that got changed from 3.0 to 3.5 is if they have an INT of 10, they get Common as a language. Otherwise they only have Giant.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Archao

« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2010, 05:15:29 PM »
Having trouble calculating some costs.

Q 39: How much does it cost to have someone else cast Permanency (Detect Magic) on you? What about Permanent Arcane Sight?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #156 on: June 14, 2010, 05:24:22 PM »

Q 39: How much does it cost to have someone else cast Permanency (Detect Magic) on you? What about Permanent Arcane Sight?

The cost would just be the service cost of casting the two spells and 5*xp GP due to the xp costs. Which unfortunately puts arcane sight above the cost level that you are supposed to be able to buy but detect magic would end up costing a little bit less than 3000 depending on the caster level of the wizard. Unfortunately this does not look like it works as detect magic and arcane sight look like they can only be made permanent on the wizard casting permanency.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #157 on: June 14, 2010, 05:25:01 PM »

A 39

Arcane Sight/Detect Magic can't be cast by someone else on you, as they're both Personal range. I think by RAW, you wouldn't be able to recieve a Permanency from someone else on it even if you cast it yourself, but for the sake of the question:
Having someone cast a 5th-level spell for you costs 50 gp*CL, plus five time the XP cost. Permanency affecting Arcane Sight needs CL 11 and 1.5k XP, so the cost is 11*50+5*1,500=8,050 gp. For Detect Magic, Permanency requires CL 9 and 500 XP, so the cost is 9*50+5*500=2,950.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: June 14, 2010, 06:31:04 PM »
Q 40 When you kill a doppelganger, changeling, or anyone with a disguise spell on them, do they revert to their regular self once they're killed?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2010, 06:42:33 PM »
Q 40 When you kill a doppelganger, changeling, or anyone with a disguise spell on them, do they revert to their regular self once they're killed?
A 40aDoppelganger entry in the Monster Manual 1 says it reverts to its true form when killed.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.