Author Topic: Would like a hand boosting my Perform (Fascinate)/Suggestion check  (Read 2308 times)

bearchucks

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Being Batman...with chainsaw bearchucks
    • Email
Here's the deal.  I've got a 6th level bard.  I'm the Only Sane ManCaster in the entire group.  We have a cleric who frequently shows up incoherent due to lack of sleep and therefore isn't actually useful.  I might ask him to do something like Augury but that's about the limit.

Playing Freeport.  I have 16 cha, full ranks in perform and UMD.

We know that the BBEG has invited us to a party.  He'll never admit his evil plot involving his lighthouse, but we know he's got a plot and we know he knows.  I had the wild idea of pulling a Suggestion to get him to tell.  Just need to overcome his will save.

We stole pretty much everything of value out of a rich guy's house shortly after he died of causes-not-us, so money is, within limits, not an issue.  Feats are DFI-oriented along with Jack of all trades + bardic knack.

So now the puzzle: How to increase a perform check so that I can get him to spill the beans and go to prison via an Engineered Confession.  The other major issue is that we don't want to 'attack' him in any way.  Just beat his save and suggest he do the entirely reasonable  :smirk thing of getting more people in on the plan.

Here's what I've found in the brief time I've had to look:
Circlet of Persuasion (4500gp, +3 competence to Cha-based checks)
Eagle's Splendor +4 / Cape of Cha (+2-6 enhancement to cha) 4,16,36k
Luckstone: +1 luck bonus on saving throws, ability checks, and skill checks 20k GP
Spell: Heroism +2 morale to skills

Anything else you guys can find would be excellent.  I am getting tired of this stupid plot and want to turn it into a musical and mock the whole thing.
http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf  The smallest, shortest, simplest ruleset of any RPG I've ever seen.  If 3.5 is too complex and you don't like 4.0, try this.  It has very few rules and is just short of freeform.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Would like a hand boosting my Perform (Fascinate)/Suggestion check
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:11:34 PM »
Other than PHB, Complete Adventurer, and Dragon Magic, what sources are open?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:21:57 PM »
Dragonsong from Draconomicon boosts the DC of all mind-affecting music abilities by 2 (both Fascinate and Suggestion). Also gives perform(sing) or (oratory) a +2 bonus, which helps the initial Fascinate.

...I'm reading the SRD now for Bard's Suggestion. I'm not seeing anything that prevents you from using repeated suggestions (even the same suggestion) on a person that's fascinated. Am I missing something here or can you just spam suggestion until they fail?
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:33:40 PM »
Looks like you can keep spamming it until the fascinate wears off. Interesting.
Shh. My common sense is tingling. . .

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 08:44:43 PM »
"I am Princess Gwaelin, daughter of Lorik. Will thou take me to the castle?"

"No."

"But thou must! Will thou take me to the castle?"

"No."

"But thou must! Will thou take me to the castle?"

"Fine! Whatever! Have it your way!"

"But thou must!"

bearchucks

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 10:59:51 PM »
Other than PHB, Complete Adventurer, and Dragon Magic, what sources are open?

Anything I can con my GM into.  I pulled Entice Gift out of Spell Compendium.  Also, my cohort is a Warmage1/Rainbow Servant 3, so I can put quite a bit over.  Essentially, anything I have access to.  This is a fair number of books.  Also of note is my decent UMD.  =P

Dragonsong's a feat, how do you propose I get another feat?
http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf  The smallest, shortest, simplest ruleset of any RPG I've ever seen.  If 3.5 is too complex and you don't like 4.0, try this.  It has very few rules and is just short of freeform.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 11:03:38 PM »
Flaws from Unearthed Arcana.

Tyger

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 11:08:35 PM »
A set of Masterwork pan pipes (from the Complete Adventurer) will add +1 to the Fascinate test, and +1 to the Will Save DC for the Suggestion.

And if you can find ways to get more feats between now and then (see above) you could get the Song of the Heart feat from Eberron.  Granted, based on your statement that you are optimized for DFI, you likely already have it.  But it does grant a +1 to Fascinate and Suggestion, just like the pan pipes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 11:12:47 PM by Tyger »
Treat the earth well,
It was not given to you by your parents,
It was loaned to you by your children.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 11:53:32 PM »
Masterwork item of perform 50 gp

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 11:57:11 PM »
How about Vest of Legends? Suggestion has "1/2 bard's level" in it's DC calculation, so wouldn't +5 effective bard level increase the DC by either 2 or 3?

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 01:09:15 AM »
A Scroll of Improvisation will net you a +3 luck bonus to your Fascinate attempt. Much cheaper than a luckstone.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 01:12:49 AM »
Or a scroll of Glibness and just convince him with Bluff?

bearchucks

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 01:42:51 AM »
A Scroll of Improvisation will net you a +3 luck bonus to your Fascinate attempt. Much cheaper than a luckstone.
:banghead I have Improvisation as one of my Bard spells.  Oops.

Hmm...where's vest of legends?

...Glibness.  I like it.  Goes against sense motive, though, and that's a lot easier to raise with something like expert or aristocrat levels, which our badguy will probably have in excess.

Staminator

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 02:21:03 AM »
Veil of Allure, from Sandstorm. +2 to all your Enchantment DCs.

(My current DMs believe it to be broken, price-wise, due to how it stacks with everything. Try not to mention that part. :))

Tyger

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 01:55:18 PM »
:banghead I have Improvisation as one of my Bard spells.  Oops.

Hmm...where's vest of legends?

...Glibness.  I like it.  Goes against sense motive, though, and that's a lot easier to raise with something like expert or aristocrat levels, which our badguy will probably have in excess.

Vest of Legends is DMGII.

As for Glibness being opposed by Sense Motive - that's true.  But assuming you have put even a few points into Bluff, the +30 bonus that Glibness provides is far and above over any Sense Motive bonus out there.  You can easily hit the mid-high sixties on your Bluff roll (9 ranks, 5 for 20 CHA, 30 for Glibness, +3 Improvisation, +3 Circlet of Pursuasion, +1 Luckstone, +2 Heroism, +10 average roll = 63) which is damned hard, if not outright impossible, to hit as a DC for Sense Motive at that level.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:57:54 PM by Tyger »
Treat the earth well,
It was not given to you by your parents,
It was loaned to you by your children.