Author Topic: More than one 5 foot step a round  (Read 3967 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
More than one 5 foot step a round
« on: June 08, 2010, 08:17:42 PM »
Is it possible?
Can we get some ability to use a 5 foot step on turns where you move?
Because if you can, I have a build that would be able to treat a 5 foot step as a charge that I would like to post, but I can't until I know this information.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: More than one 5 foot step a round
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:22:18 PM »
Don't believe so.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:25:38 PM »
The Elocater gets this ability at level 7. It still doesn't let you move and step in the same turn, though. There is a stance in ToB that lets you take a 10-ft. step instead, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:28:46 PM »
And the 3.0 sparring dummy thing for Monks (I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about) as well as a very high Tumble check IIRC.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 08:31:32 PM »
Is it possible?
Can we get some ability to use a 5 foot step on turns where you move?
Because if you can, I have a build that would be able to treat a 5 foot step as a charge that I would like to post, but I can't until I know this information.

Travel Devotion is as close as it gets to this idea, aside from the Sparring Dummy and Elocator.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »
When looking through ToB, I found a feat called Adept Reflexes.
It allows you to make a five foot step any time you would be able to make an attack of opportunity.
Can anyone say Adept Reflexes, Combat Reflexes, Robilar's Gambit, Power Attack, Cleave, and Great Cleave? Combined with that Stance and Elocator 7, you will devastate enemy forces, seeing that they can't attack of opportunity you while you make a 10' step, and you can do it twice, letting you get into the middle of enemy forces, making your Great Cleave very effective.

Now to check on Travel Devotion...

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 08:48:25 PM »
Could swear I recently saw something that excplicitly gave you a second 5' step recently, though I now can't remember it for the life of me. I'll poke around some, though. Might have been somewhere in Dragon.
Shh. My common sense is tingling. . .

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 09:39:42 PM »
Sidestep - Miniatures Handbook: make a 5' step after an AOO.

Wolf Pack Tactics - ToB: high level stance; move 5' after each successful melee attack; max move/round = your speed.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:44:57 PM by Saeomon »

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 09:49:07 PM »
Learn White Raven Tactics and take the feat Adaptive Style.  Take a 5' step.  Use White Raven Tactics on self.  Refresh maneuvers with Adaptive Style.  Repeat.

Works best with a Warblade.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 05:15:44 AM »
Press the Advantage is a 5th level White Raven stance which is exactly what you're looking for.

It says when one takes a 5ft step, one gets another 5ft step. So it doubles the number of 5ft steps one gets.

Combine with Evasive Reflexes, Robilar's Gambit, Karmic Strike, Defensive Sweep, Close Quarters Combat (and any other AoO generating feat) for bunches of lulz on a ranged character.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Staminator

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 09:31:47 AM »
Drow Swashbuckler sub level lets you make one after a successful hit. (DotU sourcebook)

Phirsole

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 01:19:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure I read something like that recently. Possibly in Untapped Potential, though, which I bought last month.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 04:45:27 PM »
I am adding sidestep to my build, for a total of 2*AoO+1 5' steps a round.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »
Add in Press the Advantage to double that number.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 07:25:39 PM »
Wasn't there a T.O. trick where two guys swapped places,
with a really high Epic Skill check, so they could free action move around A.H. or infinity ??

EDIT - there was more to it than just the Epic Check ... i don't remember the details.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:27:53 PM by awaken DM golem »

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »
A Chronotyryn gains two 5" steps per round...
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 12:16:58 AM »
I'm thinking of using martial scripts for Press the Advantage; you can get it for 2250 gp.
I'm also including Boots of Sidestepping (potentially combined with those boots that give you 5/day 20' teleport), and a Gauntlet of Infinite Knives combined with that gauntlet that grants 2 extra AoO per day. In other words, if I have a Dexterity modifier of 6, I get the following amount of 5' steps:
1 (normal)
7 (from attack of opportunities)
for a total of 8:
If I use all of my items' daily charges, I can get 5 more (the gauntlets and the boots)
for a total of 13
double that with Press the Advantage
Now that's 26
A total of 130' at maximum that most enemies don't get to make an attack of opportunity on.  :D
Note that this is just a vanilla human fighter. If I grabbed a template or two, I could probably make that much higher.

List of Feats:
Close-Quarters Fighting
Combat Reflexes
Robilar's Gambit
Dodge
Combat Expertise
Evasive Reflexes
Karmic Strike

List of Stances:
Press the Advantage

List of Items:
Boots of Sidestepping
Bracers of Opportunity

Total cost in gp: 8300 (Boots of Sidestepping=6000, Bracers of Opportunity=2300)

Now, I have a question about AoO:
First of all, do you get only one attack at your highest attack bonus?
And secondly, can you use an AoO to trigger an AoO? An example would be two people with Evasive Reflexes, Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit. If one attack, the other gets 2 AoO. Can this trigger 4 AoO from the original attacker?

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Redeemer of Ogar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 07:54:59 PM »
Anyone remember the name of the scimitar-based two-weapon dancing PrC? It gives some sort of wardance a few times per day, where you attack, 5', attack again, 5' again, and so forth until you run out of attacks or movement. One of my partymates had it.

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 08:21:35 PM »
Dervish, Comp Warrior
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 12:40:07 AM »
I'm thinking of using martial scripts for Press the Advantage; you can get it for 2250 gp.
Press the Advantage is a stance, not a maneuver. Further more, martial scripts only ever grant 1 use of a maneuver. They don't let one "learn" manuevers.

Just get the stance. It's very useful for what you are doing.