Author Topic: Optimizing Flurry of Blows  (Read 3816 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Optimizing Flurry of Blows
« on: June 08, 2010, 07:23:37 PM »
Yes, this is monk optimization.
I was thinking of taking Martial Study for the Flashing Sun maneuver (Adds one more attack at your highest BAB) and some cleric for that spell that grants you full BAB. Then add in some strikes (maneuvers that activate on a successful hit), and go to town.

Any thoughts on better optimization? I'm aware monks are suboptimal, but flurry of blows is a nice ability (Would permanenting the above spell work? Or maybe grab a continual item of it?)
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Optimizing Flurry of Blows
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 07:27:36 PM »
Snap Kick feat. Obtain the maneuver that allows you to Pounce.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »
If you're doing cleric levels for Divine Power, might as well push 2 more for the 5th level spell...Recitation I think it is... which adds 1 attack on full attacks.
Using Chaos Monk from Dragon magazine also vastly improve your Flurry, even though it's called Flailing Strike then.
+2 attacks are usually less than the +d6+1 attacks flailing strike provides att the higher levels.
I think that's the biggest number they achive, not sure.

+++EDIT+++
If you're doing cleric levels for Divine Power, might as well push 2 more for the 5th level spell...Recitation I think it is... which adds 1 attack on full attacks.
Using Chaos Monk from Dragon magazine also vastly improve your Flurry, even though it's called Flailing Strike then.
+2 attacks are usually less than the +d6+1 attacks flailing strike provides att the higher levels.

I think you're looking for Righteous Wrath of the Faithful.

Yes, that's it. Recitation is probably the one dealing with saves...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:45:39 PM by Shadowhunter »
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 07:35:21 PM »

I think you're looking for Righteous Wrath of the Faithful.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 07:58:45 PM »
Thanks for this.

So, how would I get rid of that penalty at low levels? I'm thinking of getting improved unarmed strike, just so that I can deal more damage at an earlier point. Add a couple more feats, and you will be unstoppable (Except by better classes)
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 08:40:22 PM »
Sweeping Strike from war min lets you attack 2 adjacent hexes with each attack, this would include each attack in a flurry, so it doubles the number of attacks provided you split it between at least 2 creatures, or technically a creature that occupies more than one hex, although that is probably against RAI. I like war-mind monks (Expansion!) although if you want to use sweeping strike you can't be mobile :( still trying to find a way around that.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:32:33 PM »
Note that Tashalatora stacks for flurry, so you can play a monk 2/psionic class 9/ToB class 9 and have Greater Flurry (Diamond Mind manouvers recommended, to take advantage of Concentration synergy with psionic focus).
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 09:34:49 PM »
Also consider Monk 6/Shou Disciple 5.  That gives decent BAB (you only lose two to Monk levels) and the ability to Flurry with any martial weapon, plus slightly better AC and HD.  Now add in Snap Kick and maybe wield a pair of Aptitude Kukris with Lightning Mace and Roundabout Kick and you get an absolute ton of attacks.  Blood in the Water is important...

JaronK