Author Topic: Help me optimize a new Kingdom  (Read 1959 times)

Dragonamedrake

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Help me optimize a new Kingdom
« on: June 08, 2010, 05:07:36 AM »
Alright so in our current game we have set sail to a new land we wish to set up as a new Kingdom. We have with us a large contingent of the best Masons/builders/engineers in the world, and we are around lvl 7. The land we wish to take used to be one of the largest most powerful Human Kingdoms in the land but has fallen into chaos. It has been...

A. Over run by Undead. They are now deminished in numbers but still around.
B. What remains of the capital is being fought over by 3 groups. A band of Ogres, a large band of Thieves, and what little remains of the Guard.
C. The surounding lands have an enemy stronghold, several bands of Trolls/Ogres, and the last survivors of the old Kingdom( Loyal to an opposing kingdom we dont get along with at all).

So while I think we wont have to many issues with taking the Capital, it is in ruins, and I and another player have a claim to the throne(but a shakey one at best).

Im playing a Planar Shepard and the other players include a Warblade, a Cleric, a rogue, and a Wizard. Once we have taken the Capital how should we go about rebuilding this Kindom?

A. The lands are surrounded on all sides by Mountains. There are 3 ways in. A broken down Wall to the West, A small bit of shoreline to the South dominated by the Capital city, and a broken down bridge to the east spanning a waterway with cliffs on both sides that make it impossable to pass exept by that bridge. So overall if we repair the Wall to the west and set guards to the East our lands will be pretty defensive.

B. We will need to uproot the Enemy Stronghold without letting the outside world know it was us. This Enemy is one of the 2 largest Nations in the Gaming world and I have no dout that if it was found out we destroyed the Stronghold that the armies of that Enemy would come crashing down on our heads. How can we be sneaky and get these guys out.

C. The builders we are bringing with us are headed by a man who is both a bit insane, Power Hungry, and very bent on the destruction of the other of those 2 largest Nations I was talking about. He has been promised lands and nobility for his help, but Im not so sure I can keep him reined in. He has a single purpose to cause the destruction of a neighboring Kingdom that will be much more powerful then ours and I dont want him causing us to go to a war we cant win. Also nothing says he wont try to take over after everything is said and done. What can I do with this guy?

D. The surrounding lands are full of things that want to kill us. I am willing to take Leadership but a bunch of lvl 1 warriors arent going to cut it. The Trolls/Ogres Im sure I could recruite in some way but the Undead have to go... period.

sorry for the wall of text but if you got any suggestions on how we should rebuild, or how we should set up A, B, C, and D it would be helpful. Whats the best cohort I can get to help run my kingdom( I will be set up as the new King if all goes as planned)

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
Re: Help me optimize a new Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 05:49:53 AM »
I refer you to a few things; one, the Prince by Machiavelli; get through the first few chapters, and you'll know how to deal with the head of the builders. If he is loved, things get complicated; if feared, not so much.

Also, I want to point outyou have a planar shepherd, a cleric, and a wizard; I say just go to town on the other nations.  :P

As for recruiting, try and figure out if the ogres can be used/hired to wipe the undead, then nuke them for the xp at a celebratory rave or whatever ogres do, and call that part a night. I'm very much of the school of "kill the whole ruling family, and make their people love you more." It is best not to be loved or feared, but both.

thebigstupidfighter

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 06:14:59 AM »
Well from what you've said it sounds like your immediate goal is securing the capitol and subsequently taking out the base of the Big Bad Country Next Door.

For the capitol, I'd recommend having the rouge infiltrate the thieves and learn who their leaders are so you can later assassinate as many of them as possible. Without clear leadership they'll likely dissolve, thieves aren't well known for their discipline or love of battle. Meanwhile, the rest of the party should be trying to get the backing of the guards, convincing them of your right to take over. It'll be advantageous to do this before dealing with the thieves, as the more enemies they have the more hard-pressed they'll be to accept your leadership. Then crush or hire the ogres as appropriate.

As for dealing with the enemy base, you make it sound as if taking them down is not a problem. If this is the case, use alter self when taking down the thieves guild, as they will likely lack the ability to see through illusions at this level. Since the thieves will not know it was you that attacked them, it should be a simple matter to hire one with lots of ranks in Disguise to make you up before you hit the enemy base. Then use Alter Self again. Anyone who sees through your illusion will see the disguised you, and will likely take the disguise at face value (after all, who would disguise themselves when they has access to illusion magic? That's crazy talk.) Then just waltz in and own.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:17:16 AM by thebigstupidfighter »

Dragonamedrake

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:09:49 AM »
Well from what you've said it sounds like your immediate goal is securing the capitol and subsequently taking out the base of the Big Bad Country Next Door.

For the capitol, I'd recommend having the rouge infiltrate the thieves and learn who their leaders are so you can later assassinate as many of them as possible. Without clear leadership they'll likely dissolve, thieves aren't well known for their discipline or love of battle. Meanwhile, the rest of the party should be trying to get the backing of the guards, convincing them of your right to take over. It'll be advantageous to do this before dealing with the thieves, as the more enemies they have the more hard-pressed they'll be to accept your leadership. Then crush or hire the ogres as appropriate.

As for dealing with the enemy base, you make it sound as if taking them down is not a problem. If this is the case, use alter self when taking down the thieves guild, as they will likely lack the ability to see through illusions at this level. Since the thieves will not know it was you that attacked them, it should be a simple matter to hire one with lots of ranks in Disguise to make you up before you hit the enemy base. Then use Alter Self again. Anyone who sees through your illusion will see the disguised you, and will likely take the disguise at face value (after all, who would disguise themselves when they has access to illusion magic? That's crazy talk.) Then just waltz in and own.

Well the dnd world we are in is World of Warcraft... but we are using normal 3.5 rules. The kingdom is the Stromguarde ruins... as for the Stronghold we need to destroy its in the Northeastern corner owned by the Horde... so there are mostly Orcs and Trolls within. I was thinking of making it look like the Alliance did it but Im not sure that the Horde will be so easily duped though. The other plan I was tossing around was the idea of hiring the Orges and Trolls in the region to destroy the stronghold while I come in after to destroy the them... not only getting away with the destruction of the Keep but possibly gaining enough favor with the Horde that they stay out of our damn area.

hawk1816

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 05:40:37 PM »
If it really is the WOW world, shouldn't that area be rich is precious medals and rare plants? I see to remember that region being the transition to the next tear of resources.  This may be too much like Simming to you, but I think you should focus on getting the keep and building up an economy... You have an ideal port set up, a large region within the wall, and abundant natural resources.  Try to build up the economy to warrant a regular stop for passing ships.  I assume you're unaligned so trade with the other unaligned towns... I think they're goblin?  You guys can actively help by using magic to facilitate thinks like finding rich medal deposits and rare plants.  Trying to affect the weather to increase crop yields.  Re-invest the taxes into building up the area.  Also try to attract master smiths with the availability of metals.  Have the wizard start a guild.  Have the cleric open a temple.  Have the rogue pwn theives to keep the area safe.  Turn your castle into a paradise, have people flock to it, and it will become strong on its own.  Be fair, just, and rich ;p and you'll grow into a mighty kingdom.

In the mean time you guys can lead expeditions to kill the roaming undead, growing the habitable/safe land, increasing your renown with you people (read huge leadership bonus) and increasing the resources that are available.  You can trade with the ogres/orcs, (if they're willing), or use the taxes to offer rewards for dead ogres/orcs, attracting adventurers.  Eventually you'd want to grow a permanent city guard/standing army so that you can punk the Horde keep w/o having to worry about it.  Again, a lot of simming, but I'm a fan of using economic might to solve problems.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 05:48:33 PM »
D. The surrounding lands are full of things that want to kill us. I am willing to take Leadership but a bunch of lvl 1 warriors arent going to cut it.

Bullshit.  The things that want to kill you have to reach you, first.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 07:48:47 PM »
D. The surrounding lands are full of things that want to kill us. I am willing to take Leadership but a bunch of lvl 1 warriors arent going to cut it.

Bullshit.  The things that want to kill you have to reach you, first.

I agree. Plus, what kind of Sense Motive ranks do your enemies have? I suggest using Leadership to nab yourself a small army and a diplomancer cohort. Then you can use the cohort to give you more followers (He/she takes the leadership feat), and goes and charms your enemies.

If you do this, you'll have a reasonably nice populace and some starting points for trade with your (former) enemies.
And for an added bonus, make your cohort a Bard, with options leaning towards Warchanter...
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing