Author Topic: Dumb Players  (Read 7832 times)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Re: Dumb Players
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 02:26:06 PM »
which could be fine, if he only had basic spacial cognizance.  :lmao
(well, okay, not in the case of red half-dragons, but ....)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 02:27:44 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 02:43:50 PM »
I played a sorcerer once that killed things with fire... including fire elementals... was fun, especially when your party starts asking you to "kill it with fire"

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »
What about the guy who wants to play his cleric as an in-combat healbot (and throws a fit at the idea of anyone else having any significant healing abilities, cause that's his job), never bothers to buff, and doesn't have any Concentration ranks?

So glad that guy's out of the group.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 03:03:28 PM »
which could be fine, if he only had basic spacial cognizance.  :lmao
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
  • I think I'm getting pretty good.
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 03:14:05 PM »
lmao oh my god these are great stories...please keep them coming, I'm starting to think my the player's I've encountered are geniuses.
Playing Pingo, in The Artifact Prologue.

Running Dead Earth for my old table top group.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 03:19:31 PM »
which could be fine, if he only had basic spacial cognizance.  :lmao
Well, you COULD use a cone like that...if you had an obscene jump check to perform a top-down cone blast.
Immunity kinda makes that a searingly stupid idea anyway.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 03:29:05 PM »
Well, you COULD use a cone like that...if you had an obscene jump check to perform a top-down cone blast.

Actually, in a tight enough circle, you could even do that without the jump check.  Stupid as it sounds, you can start the breath weapon's area in any space adjacent to your own, then send it in any direction you please... so you can have the cone originate above yourself and then spread downward.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 03:34:02 PM »
Thats actually a decent way to get rid of swarms in your square without moving if you strongly resist your own cones.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 04:54:04 PM »

Actually, in a tight enough circle, you could even do that without the jump check.  Stupid as it sounds, you can start the breath weapon's area in any space adjacent to your own, then send it in any direction you please... so you can have the cone originate above yourself and then spread downward.
Think of it like a fountain. Except, y'know, on fire.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Black Knight

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 06:19:34 PM »
In an Epic game I was running, the PCs airship had been damaged and the power source was cracked and all the magical energies powering the ship had dissipated.  They just couldn't repair it with the materials and resources at hand, and they had to have the ship operational to get to where they needed to go.  I told the group that they could temporarily power the ship by expending Arcane energies to fuel it, but with the leak, the arcane energy would dissipate quickly.  How quickly depended on how powerful the spells used where.

1-3 level Arcane spells would fuel the ship for 1-3 rounds.
4-6 level Arcane spells would fuel the ship for 4-6 minutes.
7-9 level Arcane spells would fuel the ship for 7-9 hours.
An Epic level Arcane spell would fuel the ship for an entire day.

Everyone looked to the only Wizard in the group expectantly... "Oh, no!  No way.  I'm not casting any of my magics to power that ship.  I knew as soon as you needed Arcane energy that you'd all look to me.  It's my character, you can't make me do it."  And he phyically in RL stormed off in a huff.

Yeah, the only wizard in the group REFUSED to cast a single spell to solve the party's dilemma.  Instead of... Hey, I'm so awesome... a single spell that I cast will power this massive ship for an entire day....   we all just stared in numbed disbelief.

The party leader finally convinced the wizard to use Epic level scrolls that had been recovered from his people's temple.  Irreplaceable scrolls, mind you, to power the ship.  And then the wizard started by casting spells that he had almost no chance of making the spellcraft roll!  EVEN AFTER TELLING HIM HE HAD LITTLE CHANCE OF SUCCESS.

*SIGH*  

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:58:06 PM by Black Knight »
If you are an ethical person, you do the right thing even when no one is watching...

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 06:38:14 PM »

Think of it like a fountain. Except, y'know, on fire.

Fair enough.  What about when you start it in the square east of you, and send it west?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 02:57:56 AM »
You hock up a fireball loogie in that direction and poke a hole.
Flames spray out.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

BrokeAndDrive

• Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 05:36:19 AM »
Everyone looked to the only Wizard in the group expectantly... "Oh, no!  No way.  I'm not casting any of my magics to power that ship.  I knew as soon as you needed Arcane energy that you'd all look to me.  It's my character, you can't make me do it."  And he phyically in RL stormed off in a huff.
I disbelieve.
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 12:24:20 PM »
I disbelieve.

its hard to take but i know some people who havent done that but have gone close till they were talked out of it.  mostly from younger players learning to play in shops and what nots for the first time so i wouldnt say its impossible just not likely

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2010, 12:35:06 PM »
I disbelieve.

its hard to take but i know some people who havent done that but have gone close till they were talked out of it.  mostly from younger players learning to play in shops and what nots for the first time so i wouldnt say its impossible just not likely

No, It is true.  The guy was sitting next to me (I was also the party leader).  My jaw dropped at the stupidity.  I was like "WTF!!, You are the Arcanist in the party.  Who the fuck else is going to do it?" 

The stomping off was caused the incredulous looks coming at him from around the table after his statement. 

DM gave him a moment to shine and lord it over us (he is that kind of player) but instead we have a classic moment that will survive in the form of a taunting tale for years.
Placeholder - T'tosc

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 11:50:35 PM »

Sure you can make him do it.  If his player's gone, he's an NPC now, subject to social skills, as well as torture.  "Grab this moron's head and squeeze till magic or his brain comes out," said to the party's grapple monster in front of the arcanist that clearly isn't clever enough to save his own life in even a non-combat situation, can work wonders.  You might need an Intimidate check, but should get a hefty circumstance bonus if the big ape is already tearing his ears off ready to peel him like a banana.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 11:52:59 PM by weenog »

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 12:37:48 AM »

Sure you can make him do it.  If his player's gone, he's an NPC now, subject to social skills, as well as torture.  "Grab this moron's head and squeeze till magic or his brain comes out," said to the party's grapple monster in front of the arcanist that clearly isn't clever enough to save his own life in even a non-combat situation, can work wonders.  You might need an Intimidate check, but should get a hefty circumstance bonus if the big ape is already tearing his ears off ready to peel him like a banana.

great imagery i love it ! :clap :clap :clap

Vynar

• Email
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2010, 12:53:53 AM »
I don't think I was there but I recall hearing tales of an epic victory over kobolds at level 1. Long story short, the group was split up by a little bit of distance and a two of the party members without ranged attacks at all attempted to climb a tree to escape the threat. The pcs, only trying to earn a a paycheck after a long day's work (not murder was the currency) just sat in the tree while the kobolds pelted them with arrows. Instead of a horrific death, our intrepid heroes won the day when a critical failure on the kobold's part resulted in the death of both him and his buddy. Bards sung of this glorious triumph over evil for centuries! I seriously had no idea what they could have possibly been thinking.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2010, 09:07:43 AM »
2-3 years back, I'm the wizard in a party consisting of me, a rogue, a swordsage and if I recall correctly, a cleric. So, we're fighting this zombie ogre and the swordsage flanks the zombie with the cleric, using island of blades. The rogue is right next to them, trying to hit, but he has received a fairly good blow. Which means that another hit would drop him unconscious.

The rogue player states that he wants to make a tumble check to flank the zombie.

We all inform him that he is already flanking it due to island of blades, but he doesn't believe us because he isn't dealing any sneak attack damage. We then tell him that that's because he is a, you know, undead creature. He says that it's his character and we can't tell him how to play her. So he rolls tumble, gets a 14 and fails by one point. The ogre makes his single attack of opportunity and smacks him with his club, mid-air.

The mental image was extremely funny.

By the way, this guy introduced me to d&d :P
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2010, 03:11:38 AM »
The tale of stupid steve.

Steve was being 'protected' by a very power npc drow bitchtress. He had basicly like a get out of jail free card.

The party was clearing a huge underground complex and was afew days in. This particular day they decide to camp in a large cavern with a cliff, by a pool of lava below. They decide to camp right by the edge. Hey... that way no one can sneak up from behind them. OK.... Middle of the night, WAMBO party is attacked.
Long story short Stupid Steve was knocked off of the cliff, but about 30ft before he hit the lava pit, he was safely teleported back to this town by his bitchtress.

Immediately Steve says.  :shock "did you get my stuff to??....."
bitchtress: "umm... no."
Stupid Steve:  :banghead  "well...... all my stuffs still down there......"
bitchtress: "ya... and? your alive right, just travel back"(its like 5 days travel)
stupid steve: "but they will think i died and take all my stuff.... cant you just send me back"
bitchtress: "........*sigh*"
stupid steve: "......... quick! they need my help probly.. and my stuff is just sitting there"
bitchtress: "are you sure???..."
stupid steve: *nod nod* "ya hurry up"  :D

bitchtress:  :twitch *face palm* *teleports him back*

PLOP into the lava.
Slappin ho's like E-Honda