Author Topic: Temporary HP and Cheating Death  (Read 2052 times)

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Temporary HP and Cheating Death
« on: June 05, 2010, 05:22:37 PM »
Crack open the Rules Compendium, and head to page 72. Seriously, why did you even buy that book? Are you going to wow them with your barbarian's grasp of the rules? Anyway. Check out the section on temporary hit points. Most importantly, this line:

Quote from: Rules Compendium

Now, what this means in the context of the paragraph is clear; if you have temporary HP, and you take damage, the damage doesn't 'overflow' past your temp HP and hurt your real HP. If you have one temporary HP and get punched in the face by the Tarrasque, you lose your temp HP and you're still at full health. I'm likely not the first one to notice this, but it's clearly not widely known on these boards, else some things (see: Minor Shapeshift reserve feat) would be much more highly touted. Think about it; Minor Shapeshift gives you a handful of temp HP as a swift action with no other cost. That on its own is a very limited form of invulnerability. Hell, the orison Virtue gives the target one temp HP that lasts one minute, meaning the first attack that the target takes in the next minute deals no damage. Also, a bunch of undead creatures just became much more annoying to kill.

Any problems with my logic, any better optimization? I'm all ears.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Temporary HP and Cheating Death
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:32:28 PM »
The language there is confusing, but I'm pretty sure it's just stating that when temporary hit points are lost (such as the duration of the effect giving them to you expires), your hit point total doesn't drop because of that.

For example, you're 10th level and use Minor Shapeshift with Polymorph fueling it.  Now, in combat, you lose all of your temporary hp through absorbing damage and now you're sitting at, say, 15hp 4 rounds after activating Minor Shapeshift.  The duration expires, but you have already lost all of your temporary hp.  You're still at 15hp.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 05:35:02 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 05:40:44 PM »
Yeah, that is confusing. So you're saying that if you lose all of your temporary HP and then take more damage to your HP, that this line is trying to say you don't lose more HP when the duration would run out? I considered that as an interpretation, but I thought against it because it specifically said your temp HP would 'go away'. If you already lost them, how could they go away? But the paragraph does make a bit more sense with that interpretation, so I suppose the logical thing to do would be to chalk it up to WotC writers doing what they do best.

So yeah, you're probably right, damage flows past temp HP just fine.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »
What I believe is the intended target for this, is something I've read about from various sessions.
The barbarian rages. Gains Temp. HP. Takes a lot of damage.
Temp. HP vanish. Damage remains.

Bob the level 10 barbarian have 120 HP. Rages for +20 temp. HP.
Takes 130 points of damage, have 10 left.
Rages ends.
Now goes down to -10 and instantly dies.

I've read about this numerous times and I think this rule is to clarify that the above scenario is not the correct way to handle it.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 09:10:36 PM »
What I believe is the intended target for this, is something I've read about from various sessions.
The barbarian rages. Gains Temp. HP. Takes a lot of damage.
Temp. HP vanish. Damage remains.

Bob the level 10 barbarian have 120 HP. Rages for +20 temp. HP.
Takes 130 points of damage, have 10 left.
Rages ends.
Now goes down to -10 and instantly dies.

I've read about this numerous times and I think this rule is to clarify that the above scenario is not the correct way to handle it.

Ah, but those are slightly different. The HP gained from Rage are caused by an increase in Con, and they are not actually temp HP. I think that the situation you described is actually correct.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:44:11 PM »
That is the correct situation.  The PHB even specifies that those are not temporary hp and are not lost first (they're just regular hp).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 01:49:35 PM »
Regarding temporary hp, if you've already taken some damage and you gain temporary hp after the fact, they won't refill your normal hp, will they?

Now and then I've heard it suggested to use Vampiric Touch for healing on arcane gish types, that's never really made much sense to me.  As a buffer the enemies have to get through before they reach your actual hp, sure, but am I missing something?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 02:49:33 PM »
It's useful to "heal" damage so you don't take more. It's not technically healing in the commonly used sense.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 01:55:09 AM »
Functionally it's a decent combat heal though. since it does it's job of keeping your skin in one piece, damaging an opponent, and has the bonus of ignoring 'overheal' and wasting power.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."