Author Topic: Fighting styles  (Read 2762 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Fighting styles
« on: June 05, 2010, 02:11:18 PM »
Just trying to collect ideas on different ways a character can fight. Maybe in some system they could be classes.

Acrobatic: This fighter dodges attacks by jumping around, performing backflips, etc. He can reach inaccessible areas.
Brute: This fighter's tricks are limited - he relies on raw power. He does not have to worry much about shields and barriers, and his attacks may cause enemies to be knocked back or briefly dazed.
Guardian: This fighter focuses on defence. He can block attacks made against him or his allies.
Mind Games: This fighter can inflict debuffs instead of attacking, by revealing some dark secret or just roaring scarily. He gains bonuses in social interaction.
Perception: This fighter spots weak points in his opponent's defense. His attacks carry negative status effects - he knows just the right place to strike to shatter a crystal or make a man drop his weapon - and his accuracy over long ranges is increased. At extreme levels he can paralyse an enemy by touching them.
Stealth: Overlapping somewhat with Perception, this fighter waits for just the right moment to strike. He can move about without being seen.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 02:22:41 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Fighting styles
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 02:17:18 PM »
Acrobatic: This fighter dodges attacks by jumping around, performing backflips, etc. He can reach inaccessible areas.
Swashbuckler
Brute: This fighter's tricks are limited - he relies on raw power. He does not have to worry much about shields and barriers, and his attacks may cause enemies to be knocked back or briefly dazed.
Barbarian. Dungeoncrasher Fighter.
Mind Games: This fighter can inflict debuffs instead of attacking, by revealing some dark secret or just roaring scarily. He gains bonuses in social interaction.
Intimidating Barbarian.
Perception: This fighter spots weak points in his opponent's defense. His attacks carry negative status effects - he knows just the right place to strike to shatter a crystal or make a man drop his weapon - and his accuracy over long ranges is increased. At extreme levels he can paralyse an enemy by touching them.
Monk Rogue
Stealth: Overlapping somewhat with Perception, this fighter waits for just the right moment to strike. He can move about without being seen.
Rogue
---
Now, where do we put the Combat Expertise fighter?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 02:21:24 PM »
Uh-huh.

They also match up somewhat to the six ability scores.
Str = Brute
Dex = Acrobatic
Con = Guardian
Int = Stealth?
Wis = Perception
Cha = Mind

EDITed in Guardian.

Random idea: As you increase an ability score, you get special abilities based on an archetype.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 02:24:23 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »
Con = ?
Fistbeard Beardfist, of course.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 02:26:32 PM »
Con = ?
Fistbeard Beardfist, of course.
Does he have a Bragging Theme Tune? Because for some reason that post made me realise he should. Possibly with "Fistbeard Beardfist, of course." as the chorus.
My work

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 03:37:50 PM »

CW Samurai... and we all know how that worked out.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »
The Guardian has a couple of sub aspects, retaliatory defense(using counters to make it extremely painful to attack you) and area cover(defending a number of allies).
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 02:27:22 AM »

Zhentarim Fighter?

I was actually working on a base class for a while revolving around the Perception concept--this'll remind me to dig it out, finish it, and post it so I can get it at a playable level.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 09:45:52 AM »
Does he have a Bragging Theme Tune? Because for some reason that post made me realise he should. Possibly with "Fistbeard Beardfist, of course." as the chorus.
When you're in trouble who do you call?
Who do you need when you're in a brawl?
Who is the drunkest dwarf of all?
Fistbeard Beardfist, of course!

Fists of iron! Abs of stone!
Balls of brass and beard of roan!
Fistbeard! Beardfist! Fistbeard Beardfist!

When orcs are invading who do you find?
When tentacled monsters attack your mind?
When elves are being snobby and unkind?

Knuckles like steel! Ale that's blessed!
Fist of beard and beard of fist!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 02:09:28 PM by Solo »

ShneekeyTheLost

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 08:34:10 PM »

Zhentarim Fighter?

I was actually working on a base class for a while revolving around the Perception concept--this'll remind me to dig it out, finish it, and post it so I can get it at a playable level.

The build's name that I used was Takahashi no Onisan. A combination of min/maxing Intimidate checks, CW Samurai's Mass Staredown and the improved version therein, armor which had the Fearful enhancement from Drow of the Underdark before he could get the improved Mass Staredown, and Imperious Command.

Everyone in a 30' radius, make a HD + Wis Mod check or be Cowering. Which he can employ as a move action.

here is the updated version, which uses Exemplar to be able to Take 10 on Intimidate checks, giving a flat DC of 48 at level 13.

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
  • I think I'm getting pretty good.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 08:48:06 PM »
omg laughing my fucking ass off at Solo
Playing Pingo, in The Artifact Prologue.

Running Dead Earth for my old table top group.

ShneekeyTheLost

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 08:51:57 PM »
When you're in trouble who do you call?
Who do you need when you're in a brawl?
Who is the drunkest dwarf of all?

Fists of iron! Abs of stone!
Balls of brass and beard of roan!

When orcs are invading who do you find?
When tentacled monsters attack your mind?
When elves are being snobby and unkind?

Knuckles like steel! Ale that's blessed!
Fist of beard and beard of fist!
Did you just filk the Spongebob Squarepants theme song?

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 01:09:43 AM »
Captain: Oh! Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Kids: SpongeBob SquarePants!

Captain: Absorbent and yellow and porous is he!

Captain:If nautical nonsense be something you wish...

Captain: Then drop on the deck and flop like a fish!

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 01:12:42 AM »
The rhythm is off (9 syllables to 10), so I don't think it's a parody.

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 02:58:58 PM »
It's obviously not.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 03:42:19 PM »
My work

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 03:56:58 PM »
lol darkwing duck...