Author Topic: Tempest Fighter tips  (Read 9357 times)

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
Tempest Fighter tips
« on: June 05, 2010, 09:12:11 AM »
So I had the idea to play a Tempest Fighter, but I am optimizing its damage as much as possible. Here's what I have so far:

Longtooth Shifter Tempest Fighter / Pit Fighter
Stats: 18 str, 16 Wis, 15 Dex, 11 Con, 10 Cha, 8 Int

Stat up:
4th: Str/Dex
8th and all others: Str/Wis

Feats:
1-Weapon Proficiency (Double Sword)
2-Weapon Expertise (Double Sword)
4-Weapon Focus (Double Sword)
6-Longtooth Fury (MP2)
8-Two Weapon Fighting (PHB)
10-Wild Senses (PHB2)
11-Marked Scourge (PHB)
12-Agile Tempest (MP)
14-Heavy Blade Opportunity (PHB)
16-Two Weapon Opening (PHB2)
18-Reckless Attacker (MP)

Powers:
At will: Dual Strike (MP), Footwork Lure (MP)
Encounter 1: Surprising Stab (MP2)
Daily 1: Villain's Menace (PHB)
Utility 2: Pass Forward (MP)/Battle Fury Stance (D382)
Encounter 3: Rain of Blows (PHB)
Daily 5: Rain of Steel (PHB)
Utility 6: Settling the Score (MP)
Encounter 7: Hampering Flurry (MP)
Daily 9: Jackal Strike (MP); Retrain Rain of Steel for Thicket of Blades (PHB)
Utility 10: Mighty Surge (D379)

Encounter 13: Swap Rain of Blows for Storm of Blows (PHB)
Daily 15: Swap Thicket of Blades for Quicksilver Stance (MP)
Utility 16: Regnant Shout (MP)
Encounter 17: Swap Hampering Flury for Harrying Assault (PHB)
Daily 19: Swap Villain's Menacy for Strike of the Watchful Guard (PHB)

Rough sketch on Equipment:
Heroic Weapon: + X Battlecrazed (L4+ - AV)
Paragon Weapon: +X Jagged Weapon (L12+ - AV) <- will grab Heavy Blade Mastery at Epic
Epic Weapon: +X Radiant Weapon (L15+ - AV)
Armor: +X Agile Armor (L5+ - AV)/ +X Dwarven Armor (L2+ - PHB)
+X Periapt of Cascading Health (L10+ - D368)
+X Helm of Battle (L9+ - PHB)
Iron Armbands of Power (L6+ - AV)
Strikebacks (L10 - AV)
Boots of Eagerness (L9 - AV)
Paragon Waist: Healer's Sash (L11 - AV)
Epic Waist: Belt of Mountain Endurance (D 365)
Ring: War Ring (L16 - AV)
Power Jewel (L5 - AV)/Salve of Power (L10 - AV)

Need some tips to finish this guy:

-is Footwork Lure the best at will I can have to target a single creature?
-is there a better weapon for this guy at Epic besides Radiant? Should I go back to Battlecrazed?
-any other things I missed to increase the damage?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Tempest Fighter tips
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 03:49:21 PM »
First of all, remember that Dual Strike no longer targets a single creature and double weapons were nerfed (see errata - I posted this in the OOC thread of a game you're in, dammit :P). IMO, you're better off with double short swords than with a double sword now. Yes, even with heavy blade feats. Also, Dirty Fighting was nerfed to only work on Fighter powers.

Other than that... um, I dunno. I've honestly never built a tempest fighter before (well, once... back when they rocked). I'd go Battlecrazed instead of Radiant if you don't have a friend who can lay radiant vulnerability on enemies. Check out the handbook on the WotC forums, it's generally pretty good.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 04:03:10 PM »
What, double swords got nerfed as well? Goddamnit...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:14:28 PM »
First of all, remember that Dual Strike no longer targets a single creature and double weapons were nerfed (see errata - I posted this in the OOC thread of a game you're in, dammit :P).

I'm aware on Dual Strike (the reason I asked about the other at-will) and the fact that a double sword deals only 1d6 now.... among other sad things  :banghead

IMO, you're better off with double short swords than with a double sword now. Yes, even with heavy blade feats. Also, Dirty Fighting was nerfed to only work on Fighter powers.

... but it's such a pain to get the stats to Light Blade Mastery.... and I'm aware of Pit Fighter's Errata - that's why I didn't multiclass into those classes with multiattacks...

Other than that... um, I dunno. I've honestly never built a tempest fighter before (well, once... back when they rocked). I'd go Battlecrazed instead of Radiant if you don't have a friend who can lay radiant vulnerability on enemies. Check out the handbook on the WotC forums, it's generally pretty good.

I checked. but most of the info there is for Fighters who want to defend... not lay down the smack  :P

Edit: Should I try some Ki focuses shenanigans? As in, nab the Assassin multiclass feat that grants ki focus proficiency, use some ki focus and grab different/useful weapon abilities on my weapons?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 04:22:06 PM »
First of all, remember that Dual Strike no longer targets a single creature and double weapons were nerfed (see errata - I posted this in the OOC thread of a game you're in, dammit :P).

I'm aware on Dual Strike and the fact that a double sword deals only 1d6 now.... among other sad things  :banghead

IMO, you're better off with double short swords than with a double sword now. Yes, even with heavy blade feats. Also, Dirty Fighting was nerfed to only work on Fighter powers.

... but it's such a pain to get the stats to Light Blade Mastery.... and I'm aware of Pit Fighter's Errata - that's why I didn't multiclass into those classes with multiattacks...
Oh, I see. I misinterpreted the 'swapped x for y' lines as power swaps. My bad.
Double Swords are also no longer heavy blades, so... yeah.

I checked. but most of the info there is for Fighters who want to defend... not lay down the smack  :P
Maybe try a Ranger? :P You can double-smack single targets with your at-will of choice. I fit's the fluff, you can always refluff. And... wel,, I know more about Rangers than about Fighters.
Alternatively, Fighters with a two-handed weapon can also lay down the smack pretty well.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 04:27:33 PM »

..... THAT one I didn't know. Fuck WotC

Maybe try a Ranger? :P You can double-smack single targets with your at-will of choice. I fit's the fluff, you can always refluff. And... well, I know more about Rangers than about Fighters.

Except that Rangers are tagged as "OMFG Uberpowered Crap" tag in the group I'm in... thanks to Forstcheese  :rollseyes

Alternatively, Fighters with a two-handed weapon can also lay down the smack pretty well.

...Well... yeah, but I wanted two pointy weapons, not a big one  :rollseyes

... You mean Hammers and the like, right?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 04:39:41 PM »

..... THAT one I didn't know. Fuck WotC
Yup, the two ends of double weapons are now basically treated as separate weapons, and in the double sword's case, both are light weapons.

Maybe try a Ranger? :P You can double-smack single targets with your at-will of choice. I fit's the fluff, you can always refluff. And... well, I know more about Rangers than about Fighters.

Except that Rangers are tagged as "OMFG Uberpowered Crap" tag in the group I'm in... thanks to Forstcheese  :rollseyes
Hit them with a bundle of logic (a thick book will also do) and tell them that being good at your role does not equal being overpowered. Alternatively, don't use Frostcheese.

...Well... yeah, but I wanted two pointy weapons, not a big one  :rollseyes

... You mean Hammers and the like, right?
Hammers, Axes, and Heavy Blades work best for the purpose, yes. Here is a Minotaur Fighter I made a while ago with the express purpose of hitting hard and defending at the same time. Shortly after the Rain of Blows nerf, I think, which is why it's not in there.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 04:42:50 PM by Agita »

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »
New build:

Longtooth Shifter Tempest Fighter / Pit Fighter
Stats: 18 str, 16 Wis, 15 Dex, 11 Con, 10 Cha, 8 Int

Stat up:
Stat up: Str and Dex through Heroic and Paragon, Str and Wis at Epic

Feats:
1-Shadow Initiate (D382)
2-Weapon Expertise (Light Blades)
4-Weapon Focus (Light Blades)
6-Longtooth Fury (MP2)
8-Two Weapon Fighting (PHB)
10-Wild Senses (PHB2)
11-Marked Scourge (PHB)
12-Agile Tempest (MP)
14-Chainmail Agility (MP)
16-Reckless Attacker (MP)
18-Two Weapon Opening (PHB2)

Powers: the same as previous build
[spoiler]
At will: Dual Strike (MP), Footwork Lure (MP)
Encounter 1: Surprising Stab (MP2)
Daily 1: Villain's Menace (PHB)
Utility 2: Battle Fury Stance (D382)
Encounter 3: Rain of Blows (PHB)
Daily 5: Rain of Steel (PHB)
Utility 6: Settling the Score (MP)
Encounter 7: Hampering Flurry (MP)
Daily 9: Jackal Strike (MP); Retrain Rain of Steel for Thicket of Blades (PHB)
Utility 10: Mighty Surge (D379)

Encounter 13: Swap Rain of Blows for Storm of Blows (PHB)
Daily 15: Swap Thicket of Blades for Quicksilver Stance (MP)
Utility 16: Regnant Shout (MP)
Encounter 17: Swap Hampering Flury for Harrying Assault (PHB)
Daily 19: Swap Villain's Menacy for Strike of the Watchful Guard (PHB)
[/spoiler]

Rough sketch on Equipment: same as before, except the weapons:
Weapons: +1 Master's Short Sword (L4 - AV2), +1 Rhythm Blade (L3 - AV2)
Ki Focus: +X Iron Body Ki focus (D382)
[spoiler]
Armor: +X Agile Chainmail Armor (L5+ - AV)/ +X Dwarven Armor (L2+ - PHB)
+X Periapt of Cascading Health (L10+ - D368)
+X Helm of Battle (L9+ - PHB)
Iron Armbands of Power (L6+ - AV)
Strikebacks (L10 - AV)
Boots of Eagerness (L9 - AV)
Paragon Waist: Healer's Sash (L11 - AV)
Epic Waist: Belt of Mountain Endurance (D 365)
Ring: War Ring (L16 - AV)
Power Jewel (L5 - AV)/Salve of Power (L10 - AV)[/spoiler]

The strat here is to use the Iron Body ki focus to gain some damage reduction against those I hit, while keeping some versatility with the weapon abilities...

- Is there any other stances worth picking to use with Master's Blade?
- Since my Wisdom is a lot lower in this build, is Pit Fighter the best choice for a PP?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 07:08:26 PM »
If you'll only raise Wis at epic levels, you'll reach a +5 mod, or +6 with Demigod, at 28. I'd personally consider leaving it be and going Kensei instead. It gives you a flat +4 to damage rolls at 16th, though the powers are just decent. However, the damage bonus applies to all attacks with your chosen weapon, not just Fighter powers, so it would free you up to MC and pick up some multiattacks from Ranger, Barbarian or so. The loss of Extra Damage Action does hurt, though. Of course, if your DM rules that the Kensei's abilities apply to exactly one weapon, not, say, two that you always wield, you can forget it. How long do you expect the campaign to go, and what level are you starting at? If you won't reach epic levels, there's little point in planning for a +1 or +2 damage boost in epic.

Since your group thinks Ranger is broken because of Frostcheese, use Frostcheese on this fighter and show them that everyone can use it. :smirk
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 07:21:05 PM by Agita »

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 10:57:31 PM »
If you'll only raise Wis at epic levels, you'll reach a +5 mod, or +6 with Demigod, at 28. I'd personally consider leaving it be and going Kensei instead. It gives you a flat +4 to damage rolls at 16th, though the powers are just decent. However, the damage bonus applies to all attacks with your chosen weapon, not just Fighter powers, so it would free you up to MC and pick up some multiattacks from Ranger, Barbarian or so.

Hmmm... but then I would need some space for those feats.... Might squeeze them in though...

The loss of Extra Damage Action does hurt, though. Of course, if your DM rules that the Kensei's abilities apply to exactly one weapon, not, say, two that you always wield, you can forget it. How long do you expect the campaign to go, and what level are you starting at? If you won't reach epic levels, there's little point in planning for a +1 or +2 damage boost in epic.

I've got to see that point about Kensei...

The DM only said he will do something for the group.... but didn't say anything about starting level or how long it will take :banghead

Since your group thinks Ranger is broken because of Frostcheese, use Frostcheese on this fighter and show them that everyone can use it. :smirk

Within this group, a Ranger without Frostcheese is bordering the overpowered (can't blame them, though.... they compare the Ranger to Warlock and Rogue... and frostcheese just adds insult to the injury... I won't push my luck on this one...

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 06:09:49 AM »
Just a quick threadjack, but Kensei still works for Rangers, right?
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 07:06:33 AM »
I guess.... WotC didn't say anything against it...

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 08:05:39 AM »
Just a quick threadjack, but Kensei still works for Rangers, right?
Yes.

Within this group, a Ranger without Frostcheese is bordering the overpowered (can't blame them, though.... they compare the Ranger to Warlock and Rogue... and frostcheese just adds insult to the injury... I won't push my luck on this one...
You can most definitely blame them for comparing Ranger to Warlock. That's just dumb. The Warlock isn't so much a Striker as it's a single-target Controller. The Rogue can get comparable damage at lower levels, simply by virtue of its Sneak Attack damage being double the Ranger's Quarry damage, but the figures start differing wildly once the Ranger gets damage bonuses to each attack and more attacks per round.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:09:16 AM by Agita »