Author Topic: 3.5 short ranged character help  (Read 1805 times)

Alirah

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
3.5 short ranged character help
« on: June 05, 2010, 03:48:26 AM »
So I managed to get a game together recently.  It starts on the 18th, and seeing as how I have not played d&d in many years I am running into some trouble figuring out a decent build.  The Dm is allowing the Core Books, Completes, and generally most basic books released by WotC.  I really like the idea of the soulbow class, So I am attempting to make something out of it.  I have been thinking something along the lines of it being a shortranged 30ish feet archer.  I do not have all of the feats and such ironed out by any means, just basics.

DM is starting the game at level 5, and the way he is running his other games I am expecting to be in this for the long haul.  The group is made up of me, dwarven defender, duskblade, bard, and a rogue of some sort.  Duskblade may change to a druid type class.

1  Ranger (Rapid Shot)
2  Ranger
3  SoulKnife (Mind Blade, Weapon Focus Mindblade)
4  Soulknife (Throw Mind Blade)
5  Soulbow (Mind Arrow)
6  Swordsage
7  Swordsage (WIS to AC)
8  Swordsage
9  Swordsage
10 Swordsage (Giant's Stance -would act like arrows are one size larger)(+a ton of other stuff)
12-20 ?

I am going to try and see if the DM would allow me to take the Ancestral Weapon Feat (ToED) basically stating backstory saying my father was a mindblade and taught me how to do it (which I read somewhere today).  This would help get over the lack of enchanted weapons if I read it correctly.  Is this a good start?  What would you continue on with acting as a shorter ranged archer?  Perhaps something stealthy?  If the DM does not allow AW feat then would Kensai be good to pick up?  I am also seeing if he will allow TWF with this.

If I managed to pick up some Mind Blade gauntlets later on can they have the Splitting property? Would it be a good idea to take another level of Soulbow to get the Lucky enchant on my arrows?

Thanks for any info you guys can provide! Let me know if I missed anything.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Re: 3.5 short ranged character help
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:07:43 AM »
You can't take soulbow at 5th level.  The earliest you could take it would be 6th level.  I think it would be worthwhile to move swordsage up so you start the game with wis to AC and access to maneuvers.  You should take zen archery (Complete Warrior) so you use wis to hit. 

Dragonamedrake

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:10:56 AM »
Check out this post... it has some ideas and builds behind soulbow...

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8164.0

I would sugest my Arcane Archer build though found on that same page.

You get +16 BAB, 9th lvl spells, and your bow shoots effectivly +10 arrows... without a single enchant. I think my build is on page 2.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 04:00:28 PM »
A quick thing about Soulbow: the weapon enchantment I remembered the most for them was the "Lucky" weapon enhancement.

If one has a Lucky weapon, it can reroll misses 1/day. Since every Mind Arrow is a new weapon, a Soul Bow with Lucky Mind Arrows always rerolls on a miss. This makes them pretty darn accurate. So if you need a simple crutch to prop up the character, this'll do.

If you're only taking the two Ranger levels for Rapid Shot (they get it as a bonus feat at level 2), why not just go fighter? They get two bonus feats if you take two levels and have a better Hitdice (not that it matters much).

Going Swordsage first might be a good idea. They have some good boost maneuvers.

Check out this Handbook if you're interested in using Tome of Battle stuff:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=357.0
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »
For a Soulbow, I cannot recommend Shiba Protector enough.
It's in a fairly odd place, page 222 in Oriental Adventures.

Seeing how your DM might not allow such an obscure source, I would still at least ask.
The fluff requirements are mutable, as long as the mechanics stay the same.
I'm usually hesitant to alter flavour, but not in this case.
You only need 1 level and really shouldn't take more than 1.

The ability that you get is well worth it for you.
WIS to hit and damage, which stack with the damage from your mindblade/mind arrows and stack with Zen Archery.

If you're only taking the two Ranger levels for Rapid Shot (they get it as a bonus feat at level 2), why not just go fighter? They get two bonus feats if you take two levels and have a better Hitdice (not that it matters much).

Perhaps for the increased skill point pool?
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 01:47:52 AM »
A quick thing about Soulbow: the weapon enchantment I remembered the most for them was the "Lucky" weapon enhancement.

If one has a Lucky weapon, it can reroll misses 1/day. Since every Mind Arrow is a new weapon, a Soul Bow with Lucky Mind Arrows always rerolls on a miss. This makes them pretty darn accurate. So if you need a simple crutch to prop up the character, this'll do.

While I agree that this is one possible interpretation of the rules, a word of warning to the OP: be careful about arguing for this interpretation too strongly if you decide to go the Kensai route. If each mind arrow counts as a new weapon then, based on this interpretation, you'd lose all of the Kensai bonuses you applied to your mind arrow after you fired off a single shot.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 02:12:06 AM »
Well, generally speaking, Dwarven Defenders don't make very good ranged attack--

Wait. Short ranged.

I'd delay your first level of Swordsage as long as possible so your IL when you finally do take it is high enough to grant access to higher level manuevers.