Author Topic: The Bard's Handbook  (Read 188527 times)

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
Re: The Bard's Handbook
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2010, 05:59:32 PM »
Fuck yeah, Bards.  One feat that may be worth mentioning is the Versatile Performer from CV.  Also, Inspire Awe is missing it's superscript.  Where's it from?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:50:14 PM by Optimator »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 11:49:54 AM »
Perform (Oratory) and recite the epics of old.  That is an excellent way to justify keeping the "song" up all day.
That's okay, except when your party doesn't necessarily want to listen to you recite doggerel all day long (or you're wanting to be quiet, such as at night, or when you're traveling through enemy territory, or when you're in a dungeon sneaking past guardians, and whatnot).
"This is the song that doesn't end, it just goes on and on my friend! Some people started singing it..."
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 08:40:15 PM »
Fuck yeah, Bards.  One feat that may be worth mentioning is the Versatile Performer from CV.  Also, Inspire Awe is missing it's superscript.  Where's it from?
Inspire Awe is an ACF found in Dragon Magic.  replaces IC.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2010, 01:27:52 AM »
Ah, thanks.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2010, 02:16:56 AM »
Question: is Words of Creation applied before or after bonuses from items and Song of the Heart?

If so, my Silverbrow Human Paladin 5/Bard 10/Evangelist 5 build, using Initiate of Milil or From Smite to Song, combined with Song of the Heart, Dragonfire Inspiration, and Words of Creation, can add at least 10d6 fire damage to every member of the party.

I mixed in some weapon Proficiency (Mandolin) for extra fun. It was never stated that it gives the benefit only to song bards.

He has the best battlecry ever.

"If I can not convert you through my voice, then I shall convert you with my instrument."

Speeches that make your friends' weapons burst into flames? Priceless.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2010, 05:17:40 PM »
RAW yes, RGW (real games-wise) it's a DM call.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2010, 03:56:50 AM »
Sound of Silence is indeed awesome, but bards get blindness/deafness on their list, and feats tend to be far more useful, because they're far rarer.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2010, 05:05:19 AM »
THere is a reason to take Seeker of the Song; they have a class ability that lets you use 2 different bardic music abilities at the same time.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2010, 05:18:05 AM »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

zaulsiin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2010, 02:54:40 PM »
Slight necro here, but this seems like the best place to ask this question:

Is there ever a reason for a character with maxed Diplomacy to use the Virtuoso's (CAdv) "Persuasive Song"? I understand that you're going to be pretty focused on your Perform skill(s), but if you keep Diplomacy maxed and take the synergies into account, it seems as though Diplomacy will almost always be the higher skill check. Am I overlooking some sort of options or the like that the song gives that the Diplomacy skill doesn't already have?

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2010, 03:52:57 PM »
Bards can sacrifice spell levels to boost Perform checks.

Arcane Performance, I believe it's called.
It's from Complete Arcane.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »
I assume it's about skill point utilization and flexibility.  Since your perform is gonna be maxed anyway, this gives you additional flexibility with your skill points.  It's also one less "competence bonus" item that you need.
While, yes, you can typically get your bonus to diplomacy higher than for perform (thanks to synergies), by 10th level, this difference should be negligible.

Compare this ability with Melodic Casting .... it takes a whole feat to move a partial use of concentration to your perform skill.
Persuasive Song only uses virtuoso uses.

But, yeah, you're right.
(I'm only trying to explain the thought process behind the ability)

... oh, and +1 to what Amechra said.
(f'n ninjas)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2010, 07:57:06 PM »
Does Healing Hymn work with Cure Minor Wounds? Complete Champion mentions the bonus is to a 'roll', so wouldn't it not work? I guess it wouldn't work with Heal or Vigor, but would for Lesser Restoration and CLW.

Which one's better then? Healing Hymn + 2 Eberron Bard feats OR Fascinate, Suggestion, and Suggestion,Mass?
With limited healers in a dark campaign, I'm leaning for the former. What do you think?

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2010, 10:55:58 PM »
I've used healing hymn and it sure works fine. Doesn't work with cure minor RAW, but you should ask your DM, especially if you're the only one doing the healing.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

bananaphone

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2010, 12:03:38 AM »
I've used healing hymn and it sure works fine. Doesn't work with cure minor RAW, but you should ask your DM, especially if you're the only one doing the healing.

I saw that you revisited your opinion on Healing Hymn and colored it blue, but I was curious if you were taking into account the Complete Champion errata which limits the bonus healing to the caster level on the spell.
Ex.)  A 3rd level Cleric casting Cure Light Wounds would normally heal 1d8 + 3, with a maximum of 1d8 + 5
Under the effect of a Healing Hymn (with 6 ranks in Perform), it would not be 1d8 + 9, but only 1d8 + 5 since the Cure Light Wounds spell has a maximum of +5.
I can see it being effective if you cast the Mass versions of the Cure spells, since those spells have maximums of +25 to +40.
The errata seems to hurt this otherwise very useful ability.

(BTW, your avatar is waaaaaaay too distracting!   :D  I <3 RLC)

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2010, 12:14:45 AM »
Who is that?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2010, 12:28:34 AM »

Theres a spell out there that lets you use Perform instead of Concentrate. Is there one that does the reverse? Or feat, class feature, random synergy, what have you.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2010, 10:00:59 AM »

Theres a spell out there that lets you use Perform instead of Concentrate. Is there one that does the reverse? Or feat, class feature, random synergy, what have you.
Undersong, from Spell Compendium is a 2nd level Bard spell that lets you use Perform instead of Concentration for all purposes.  The feats only let you do it for casting/manifesting.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2010, 08:47:16 PM »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2010, 05:50:53 PM »

I saw that you revisited your opinion on Healing Hymn and colored it blue, but I was curious if you were taking into account the Complete Champion errata which limits the bonus healing to the caster level on the spell.
Ex.)  A 3rd level Cleric casting Cure Light Wounds would normally heal 1d8 + 3, with a maximum of 1d8 + 5
Under the effect of a Healing Hymn (with 6 ranks in Perform), it would not be 1d8 + 9, but only 1d8 + 5 since the Cure Light Wounds spell has a maximum of +5.
I can see it being effective if you cast the Mass versions of the Cure spells, since those spells have maximums of +25 to +40.
The errata seems to hurt this otherwise very useful ability.

(BTW, your avatar is waaaaaaay too distracting!   :D  I <3 RLC)

Then it would be crap :p
Sorry for the late answer, I'm having RL issues.

Who is that?

That's Rachel (or Rachael, English suck) Leigh Cook and she's quite a looker :p
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.