Author Topic: The Bard's Handbook  (Read 188525 times)

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: The Bard's Handbook
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 06:38:50 PM »
I have a Core Archery Bard build.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Cuindless

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Occam's Razor
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 11:18:04 PM »
That prestige doesn't advance bardic music, unless i'm mistaken. And you can buy that +5 inherent bonus to cha.

Good point. It advances spellcasting but not bardic music. It makes the build more of a spontaneous spellcaster build with bardic aspects than a pure bard build. What do you think of Bard6/LyricThaumaturge2/Virtuoso2/SublimeChord2/Virtuoso8?

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 12:52:33 AM »
A Bard can do well as a gish.  My Dragonborn LA0 Aasimar Bard4/Crusader1/Marshal1/Jade Phoenix Mage1 buffs the group with +4 Inspire Courage and probably does the most damage per round of the group.  (The Dragonborn dive attack accounts for a lot!)  Also, Martial Spirit means enemy squealing means party healing.

Once I start using Arcane Wrath (spend a spell slot for +d10 damage/spell level and +4 accuracy), things will increase.  I don't expect to need it yet.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 07:49:57 AM »
Good point. It advances spellcasting but not bardic music. It makes the build more of a spontaneous spellcaster build with bardic aspects than a pure bard build. What do you think of Bard6/LyricThaumaturge2/Virtuoso2/SublimeChord2/Virtuoso8?

Why do you want Lyric Thaumaturge that bad? With those two levels you gain a 2nd level spell and captivating melody. On the other hand you lose 4 skill points (not counting entry requirements), you stay two bardic music levels behind (you gain the per day music effects, but not the actual levels) and you lose an additional point of BAB. It's ok, but it's just that.

Bard 8/Virtuoso 2/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 8 is better imo.

A Bard can do well as a gish.  My Dragonborn LA0 Aasimar Bard4/Crusader1/Marshal1/Jade Phoenix Mage1 buffs the group with +4 Inspire Courage and probably does the most damage per round of the group.  (The Dragonborn dive attack accounts for a lot!)  Also, Martial Spirit means enemy squealing means party healing.

Once I start using Arcane Wrath (spend a spell slot for +d10 damage/spell level and +4 accuracy), things will increase.  I don't expect to need it yet.

Yeah, crusader is an awesome dip for a bard. I don't know about arcane wrath (what is this and where i can find it :P?), but a single crusader dip can work wonders.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Cuindless

• Occam's Razor
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 08:36:45 AM »
Why do you want Lyric Thaumaturge that bad?

Because I overvalue magic?

With those two levels you gain a 2nd level spell and captivating melody. On the other hand you lose 4 skill points (not counting entry requirements), you stay two bardic music levels behind (you gain the per day music effects, but not the actual levels) and you lose an additional point of BAB. It's ok, but it's just that.

Bard 8/Virtuoso 2/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 8 is better imo.

As usual, you make very valid points regarding optimization. I have a running problem of overlooking other points of an arcane caster in order to improve their spellcasting ability by even a fraction. It's gotten to the point where my DMs have said, "Just play a wizard, man..." For optimizing bardic music, what do you think of 2 levels of Seeker of the Song in order to net the "Combine Songs" ability? You could Inspire Courage and Heroics at the same time, but you lose two levels of the bardic spellcasting progression. It's made up for later by full Sublime Chord progression, but it might still not be worth it. Thoughts?

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 09:22:29 AM »
I think the item section needs expanding.
Items like the Masterwork instruments in the Compete Adventure. The Badge of Valor in the Magic Item Compendium, and other items I don't know about.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 09:59:05 AM »
I have a Core Archery Bard build.
very nice! can bard spells benefit from silent spell?

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 11:11:47 AM »
For optimizing bardic music, what do you think of 2 levels of Seeker of the Song in order to net the "Combine Songs" ability? You could Inspire Courage and Heroics at the same time, but you lose two levels of the bardic spellcasting progression. It's made up for later by full Sublime Chord progression, but it might still not be worth it. Thoughts?

I think you just need the lingering song feat and you're set. Buy a belt of battle or use celerity somehow. Start singing and then stop. Start another song right after. Stop singing whenever you feel like it. Both songs affect your teammates for at least a minute. Unless you really want a seeker of the song music.

I think the item section needs expanding.
Items like the Masterwork instruments in the Compete Adventure. The Badge of Valor in the Magic Item Compendium, and other items I don't know about.

It's not finished yet, should be obvious.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 11:19:18 AM »

very nice! can bard spells benefit from silent spell?
No.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 12:18:36 PM by Solo »

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Cuindless

• Occam's Razor
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 11:56:42 AM »
I think you just need the lingering song feat and you're set. Buy a belt of battle or use celerity somehow. Start singing and then stop. Start another song right after. Stop singing whenever you feel like it. Both songs affect your teammates for at least a minute. Unless you really want a seeker of the song music.

I wasn't sure if it was worth it or not. On the surface being able to start/maintain two songs at once seems like a great benefit, but at the cost of 2 spellcaster levels it doesn't seem that powerful. Besides, what Seeker Songs do you get by level 2? Song of the Flame? 6d6 damage? Please... The bonus to AC and fire saves isn't really that good by level 7 either. It's too bad. Bards just don't get enough love in the splatbooks.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 12:32:29 PM »
Devoted performer and Initate of Milil should be mentioned for bardadin builds.

Cuindless

• Occam's Razor
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 01:01:21 PM »
What's the general consensus on Troubadour of Stars from BoED? What about Heartfire Fanner, War Chanter or World Speaker?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:03:25 PM by Cuindless »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »
Heartfire Fanner is awesome. I mean, more feats for your warrior buddies? Fuck yeah...

Heck, IIRC you can even go in without Bard levels (maybe some Marshal and Mythic Exemplar?) and still get some decent IC going.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Cuindless

• Occam's Razor
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 03:25:31 PM »
Heartfire Fanner is awesome. I mean, more feats for your warrior buddies? Fuck yeah...

Heck, IIRC you can even go in without Bard levels (maybe some Marshal and Mythic Exemplar?) and still get some decent IC going.

You'd need 1st level arcane casting from somewhere.

Looking it over, it does seem pretty awesome. Bardic music progression, spellcasting progression and giving feats to allies? That's really awesome. The downside is 2 wasted feats (Negotiator and Skill Focus: Perform? Yeucch!). I wonder if you can fit all 5 levels into a good build with Bard, Sublime Chord and Virtuoso...

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 09:39:45 PM »
The Subsonics feat is extremely useful, whether it allows your spells and bardic music to be used while silenced or not.

Some bardic music (such as Inspire Courage, which is the best one) is a free action to maintain once you've started, and some of them (again, like Inspire Courage) can last all day so long as you spend a free action each round to maintain them. A good way to extend your uses of inspirational boost and your badge of valor is to use, say, Inspire Courage with Perform (Oration) so you can function without an instrument, use them both just prior to spending a standard action boosting your allies, then use Subsonics to maintain it until you absolutely must switch to another song or to cast a spell.

Huzzah!
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 11:02:32 PM »
Perform (Oratory) and recite the epics of old.  That is an excellent way to justify keeping the "song" up all day.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 11:17:13 PM »
Perform (Oratory) and recite the epics of old.  That is an excellent way to justify keeping the "song" up all day.
That's okay, except when your party doesn't necessarily want to listen to you recite doggerel all day long (or you're wanting to be quiet, such as at night, or when you're traveling through enemy territory, or when you're in a dungeon sneaking past guardians, and whatnot).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 11:51:13 PM »
It is minor but there is the Heward's Hall legendary site in Complete Scoundrel, requires 10 perform ranks, and "costs" 500gp, for  skill focus(perform) or if already have that skill focus, any bardic music feat that he meets to prerequisites for.

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2010, 08:25:29 AM »
Favorite Bard Feat: Combat Panache PHB II

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 03:48:03 AM »
Some bard builds I like.
Bard 6/ Crusader 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 8
Bard 7/ Fighter 1/ Arcane Archer 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Scared Exorcist 3
Bard 7/ Mindbender 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Mystic Theurge 8
Bard 7/ Dirgesinger 2/ Pale Master 1/ Sublime Chord 1/ Pale Master 9 (or Sublime Chord 2/ Pale Master 8)
Bard 4/ Druid 1/ Green Whisperer 3/ Spelldancer 2/ Sublime Chord 1/ Fochlucan Lyrist 9 (or Sublime Chord 2/ Fochlucan Lyrist 8)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 03:56:01 AM by gorfnad »