Author Topic: Optimize Flanking  (Read 2706 times)

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
Optimize Flanking
« on: June 03, 2010, 06:37:53 PM »
I think a Kenku Swashbuckler with vexing Flanker gets +8 to attack rolls against enemies he flanks.

There's also a marshal aura that adds CHA to damage on flanking, and a martial stance that adds 1/2 initiator level to damage.

What else is there to make flanking awesome?  And is there any way of circumventing Imp. Uncanny Dodge without being a rogue.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Optimize Flanking
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 06:53:52 PM »
Amulet of Teamwork from MiC.
As long as you have a flanking buddy, that's pretty much a constant +2 damage for 2,000 gold.

The damage bonus is also untyped, so you could get cumulative results by having other party members wear these.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »
Amulet of Teamwork from MiC.
As long as you have a flanking buddy, that's pretty much a constant +2 damage for 2,000 gold.

The damage bonus is also untyped, so you could get cumulative results by having other party members wear these.
No, you don't since its from the same source.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 07:25:56 PM »
Marshal has an aura to add Cha bonus to flanking damage.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 08:13:30 PM »
Doesn't Warblade get INT to damage when flanking?
Shh. My common sense is tingling. . .

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »
There's also Vexing Flanker and adaptable flanker feats from PHBII, plus the Island of Blades Stance, Flanking Maneuver, and Tactics of the Wolf from ToB.

Akkristor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 08:53:46 PM »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 09:40:58 PM »
The Island of blades stance lets you and your allies count as flanking any foe you threaten.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 09:55:10 PM »
Paragonistic Initiate (CC) add quite a few stuff while Flanking. Notably, the Tactical Combat (Spell Disrupter) ability, that is essentially Mage Slayer, except only while Flanking, and without -4 CL. Interestingly enough, you can take this PrC as your 4th class level, well before any other PrC, which means it's cheap to get.

I gotta say that playing with a mid-level Factotum/Chameleon/Warblade along with my Marshal/Paladin/Paragonistic Initiate/Swiftblade/Sorcerer Gish was fun. He had +11 INT, while I had +13 CHA. End Result = +24 Damage to his every attack, for free. Got scary quick.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

midgardinruin

• Noob
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 11:39:04 PM »
Level 1 barbarian complete champion alternate class feature. You'll lose fast movement; You'll gain +2 to attack while flanking.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 12:13:26 AM »
The Elocater adds a nice bonus to flanking and lets you flank from weird angles. Plus I'm sure advancing manifesting can be applied somehow.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 08:26:29 PM »
Thanks guys... anyone want to combine this into a build?
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 03:26:42 AM »
Put ranks into Handle Animal, because war-trained flank buddies are awesome, any character can do it.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 05:12:52 AM »
Tactical Warrior from Miniatures Handbook can flank from any angle.

hawk1816

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 12:57:40 AM »
I don't have the book here, but doesn't Nightsong enforcer give bonuses to allies flanking?