Author Topic: Intentionally Underpowered Level 10 TWF Sorceror (starting from scratch; HELP)  (Read 1854 times)

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
So my level 10 Dragonfire Adept died. Scenario:

A good friend of mine has been playing a character since 5th grade (he's now 23). The character (Paladin) started at level 1 (he's now 13). The Paladin was staring down two cave trolls (wounded, but not sure how badly), four more behind them, and a Beholder flying around above. He was at ~20 hp. I charged with my Dragonfire Adept (who was at 3 STR from being drained and ground-bound due to the AM stare of the Beholder) to make my 1d3-3 unarmed strike on one of the trolls (really just to draw their AoO's so Goody2Shoes can just make a move action and then Lay on Hands behind a pillar). They powerattack for full:

I don't raise characters.

I'm being very careful to make a bad character that can do what I want him to. I don't want to pull away from the power-level of our group. So here is what I'm thinking:

Stalwart Battle Sorceror 10 (YUCK, I know! PrC's aren't allowed. Trying to make this character bad)

The plan (use the new mini I just painted):

TWF'er , almost purely self buffing. A total -->ME<-- character. AC jumps out, mobility is easy to come by, hitting-made-easy via Wraith Strike, but I'm wondering about damage and miscellaneous buffs I'm forgetting. I'm also at a loss for feats. I'm going to take TWF and ITWF. Human is required (very limited campaign).

So I need help with spells and feats. I'll either use two daggers or two short swords. Damage is needed (via melee) so that I'm not just picking at things with 5 chances to miss for 10 damage a hit. Yes, I know he sucks (he's supposed to). I don't really know how to optimize in this terrible direction.

I'll edit as I build him:

Human Sorceror 10

Stats (Rolled; +2 still around from levels [Cha and Dex maybe]):

ACF's:
Stalwart (CMge)
Battle Sorceror (UE)

Feats:
(1)TWF
(H)Martial Maneuver: Cloak of Deception
(3) Somantic Weaponry
(6)Shadow Blade
(9)Martial Stance: Assassin's Stance
(Sorceror)Weapon Focus: Dagger

Familiar:
Rat?

Items:
Gloves of the Balanced Hand (MIC 8,000)

Spells:

0:
-Resistance
-Mage Hand
-Detect Magic
-Light
-Ghost Sound

1st:
-Shield (PHB)
-Mage Armor (PHB)
-Expeditious Retreat, Swift (SpC)
-Grease (PHB)

2nd:
-Alter Self (PHB)
-Wraithstrike (CAdv)
-Wings of Cover (RoD)

3rd:
-Bite of the Were Rat (SpC)
-Heroism (PHB)

4th:
-Stoneskin (PHB)

5th:
-Overland Flight (PHB)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:29:10 PM by wO-_-OdrOw »
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Bite. of. the. WereX. (Tiger and bear are better for attack/damage, Boar for defense)

Arcane strike (Feat) should help out with damage, while not being very powerful.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
So no polymorph?  Pity.  A Sorcerer playing gish is already somewhat suboptimal without that spell.

Gish Feats:
Versatile Spellcaster
Two Weapon Fighting
Arcane Strike

Items:
Gloves of the Balanced Hand from Magic Item Compendium gives you Improved Two Weapon Fighting.

Spells:
Wings of Cover
Ruin Delver's Fortune
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Use Nunchucks. Abraham Lincoln style.

Also: Good to see you active on the boards again Woodrow.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:31:49 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
A dwarf with the 9th level ACF to add Con to your Cha for bonus spells is pretty good.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
You're also going to need some means of being able to cast while wielding 2 weapons: taking the somatic weapony feat is probably the best option unless you want to use a two-sided weapon like a quarterstaff or two-bladed sword.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
Good point. Yeah, I'll need Somantic weaponry. I'm probably restricted to Human, otherwise the Dwarf ACF would be golden. I'm thinking about MManeuver and Shadow Blade for a little damage boost and dropping the Nightstalker's because Nighstalker's would ruin Wraithstrike and Wings.
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Get a [host] feat from CPsi.
Thats to get a 1/2 ML psilike ability.
This qualifies you for Metamorphic Transfer feat.
That works great with Alter Self ... and the party might not notice it's versatility (be sneaky about it).
"It's just alter self guys, I mean come on ...  :( ...  :devil"

2 feats = 3 (su) from big list, but not as big or Bad as polymorph.