Author Topic: Star Wars Saga Ed.  (Read 2060 times)

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
Star Wars Saga Ed.
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:18:53 AM »
Anyone playing?

Due to an overabundance of bad luck, I've recently had my gaming group drop from 4 people to 2.
The other guy is mostly a 3.5 player, but I'm gonna run him through a Saga campaign for a change of pace.

If he wants to play a Jedi, I think I'll run him through the Clone Wars, featuring the Order 66 scenario once he gets up a couple levels.  (hopefully his Jedi Knight master is feeling up to sacrificing himself to help his Padawan)   :D
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Tema69

• Bi-Curious George
  • Dedicated WW2 GM.
    • Email
Re: Star Wars Saga Ed.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 09:42:05 AM »
Never played SAGA (rules wise), but I did take part in a SW SAGA adventure (without dice - so I didn't get to play SAGA, only SW) order 66 adventure at a convention.
It was loads of fun, especially as three Jedi's were fighting eachother on a bridge while clone troops rained hell down on them.
...and me and my mate (mercenaries) were lying half a mile away on a rooftop with a sniper rifle, deciding the best course of action was to hijack the badguy's spacecraft and make run for it - and not being brave and trying to shoot our way through the 40 clones and get the probably dead jedi's.
That was kinda fun.
Tema69. 69 marks my affiliation to the ex-youth house on Jagtvej 69 in Copehagen, Denmark, a place where there used to be room for everyone until it was sold.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=997.0
The Self-Proclaimed General Pulp/SteamPunk/Occult/Nazi thread! Drop by.

http://tema69.deviantart.com/
My DeviantArt account. Check by the gallery and drop a comment.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2528.0
Download my "Action Movie Realism" Rules* as well as my WW2 Supplement.
P.E.A.C.H.
* Available as a .pdf!

clarkcd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Da Man
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 05:45:42 PM »
I've been playing SWSE since release in one campaign and have been GMing another campaign for about 3 months.  I love the system.

I also have all the books (all three of them.... ) though for players who aren't interested in flying you can do without SotG and TotG is pretty much a GM only type book.

I eagerly anticipate the KotOR campaign setting and the Force Unleased campaign setting.  I'll probably pick up Scum and Villainy but I'm not sure how much I'll use it as a player.  As a GM I'm pretty sure it will come in handy.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Grade 'A' pain in the neck arrogance brought to you by Da Man.

Da Man Has Spoken

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 05:24:03 AM »
Yeah, I've got the core book and SotG.  I find that I just can't build a pilot-based character properly without it!  Even if the focus isn't on starship combat, there's enough there that it's almost necessary to have.
I'm waiting for my GM screen and Galaxy Tiles to arrive in the mail, too.

It looks like my solo player wants to be a pilot, so I may put him in the Rebellion Era (my personal favourite), and give him a chance to get involved with the Rebels AFTER the Battle of Yavin.  (maybe include the imperial fleet's arrival and invasion of Yavin IV)

Have you made any house rules for Saga yet, or have you found that it runs smoothly enough as it is?
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 07:06:25 PM »
Only houserule I use, is an extra feat that lets you put non-class skills on your skill list. Multiclassing for one skill seems a bit off to me...

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 08:47:48 PM »
I like SAGA.  It plays well out of the box.  I also include a "Skill Training" type feat in my houserules.  That's the only firm houserule I use.  I do point out a couple of potentially broken things involving manipulating the condition track, and ask my players not to do that :-D.

Pretty generally, I try to find out what sort of character someone is really interested in playing.  This is easy with anyone who's read into the Expanded Universe, as it's such a character-rich setting that they can say they want to be "like Corran Horn" or "like Gavin Darklighter" or "like Talon Karrde" and I'll know what they mean, then with a few questions can zero in on their perception of that character.  I then help them fit into the system, or I fit the system to them.  One guy wanted to be a 'pile o' armor' marine type, so I altered things to where it was actually a (minor) advantage to do so even though the basic game favors those in Light or no armor at all.

Basically, it comes down to make sure your players have fun.

clarkcd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Da Man
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 02:45:50 AM »
As a GM and player the main house rules I use are the 3.5 diagonal movement (1-2-1-2) because it makes more sense to us and we allow anyone who multiclasses to take skill training as a starting feat for the class instead of one of the normal starting feats.

In the campaign I play in my GM has said that once per character we can swap a feat for a talent or a talent for a feat.  No one has taken advantage of it yet though.  Also I don't know how balanced it is but early on I asked about taking the Shii-Cho and Soresu talents with only Deflect (thus it would only work while deflecting).  He said yes but I ended up taking Block anyway.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Grade 'A' pain in the neck arrogance brought to you by Da Man.

Da Man Has Spoken