Author Topic: Circle Magic  (Read 3755 times)

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
Circle Magic
« on: May 31, 2010, 05:51:53 PM »
So, I'm hoping to get into a 3.5 game.  12th-level, gestalt, sources are extremely open, including some third-party material (I'm using Secrets of Pact Magic), though this is a Forgotten Realms game, so anything too specific to other settings (like, say, dragonmarks and warforged) are out.

This game is centered around Rashemen, so I'm making a Hathran.  I'm thinking Soul Weaver 12 (a SoPM class; they pretty much get Wizard casting)//Cleric or ArchivistN/Hathran4+, possibly with a level of Factotum in there somewhere.

Now, one of the toys I get to play with is Circle Magic from that fourth level of Hathran, which could be very handy, except... what do I use it for?  The caster level boost has potential, but the main spells I know to use it on are higher-level than I can access (Gate, Shapechange).

So, what 6th-level and lower spells Wizard/Cleric spells (and to a lesser extent, maybe general divine spells) can really benefit from Circle Magic?

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Circle Magic
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 06:29:02 PM »
IIRC you can use circle magic to really abuse shadowcraft mage from RoS, but I may be mistaken. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm away from books at the moment.
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 06:36:47 PM »
I think the most important question is this; how are you (rather, how is your DM) interpreting Reserves of Strength? If the feat allows you to totally ignore caster level caps, then having sky-high CL is very valuable.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »
I hadn't looked into it, but I very much doubt the 387-damage CL43 empowered, maximized Fireball through Reserves of Strength would fly.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 07:22:40 PM »
For a big damage spell that doesn't need Reserves, there's always Wings of Flurry, which comes uncapped as part of the deal. If you go Archivist, there's Owl's Insight from the Druid list, which gives you CL/2 as an Insight bonus to Wis, for hours/level.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »
Hm... up to +20 wisdom for up to three days if I extend it?  That's not bad at all, though I may not be able to put it to very good use myself, save for bonus spells.  I'll have to keep an eye on who else ends up in the party.  Nice one.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 07:37:20 PM »
Algid Enhancement (Frostburn) is also a winner if you can give the target the cold subtype (even for hours/level with Mantle of the Icy Soul).

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 05:51:17 PM »
Might wanna check the Hathran PrC also...IIRC all three Circle Magic classes grant that at 5th.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 08:28:10 PM »
Nope.  Hathran quite specifically get it at level 4 (which makes sense with the two-sided 2nd-level spells requirement).  It even says 'a 4th-level hathran or a 5th-level red wizard' in the Circle Magic section.  That is, unless there's an updated version from FRCS.

By the way, you usay three classes?  Red Wizard, Hathran.  What's the third?

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 08:31:58 PM »
If you go Archivist, there's Owl's Insight from the Druid list, which gives you CL/2 as an Insight bonus to Wis, for hours/level.

The only version of Owl's Insight I'm aware of, the SpC version, lasts 1 hour total sadly.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »
If you go Archivist, there's Owl's Insight from the Druid list, which gives you CL/2 as an Insight bonus to Wis, for hours/level.

The only version of Owl's Insight I'm aware of, the SpC version, lasts 1 hour total sadly.
*looks up* Shit, you're right. Confound my memory.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 09:05:30 PM »
Ah, well.  Slapping on one or two hours of up to +20 wisdom is still pretty badass.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 09:45:23 PM »

By the way, you usay three classes?  Red Wizard, Hathran.  What's the third?

Halruaan Elder from shining south.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 10:15:33 PM »
Normally Circle Magic is restricted to humans, and only humans from a certain region.  No Red Wizard/Hathran/Halruaan Elder unless your DM says so.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »
I'm just using Hathran on a human witch from Rashemen in a Rashemen-centric game.