Author Topic: DDI opinions?  (Read 7520 times)

clarkcd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Da Man
Re: DDI opinions?
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 04:33:06 PM »
MapTool can roll dice too.  I'm not sure what other people use ORPG for but for me and my group MapTool is identical in it's application as ORPG, runs smoother and looks better.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Grade 'A' pain in the neck arrogance brought to you by Da Man.

Da Man Has Spoken

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 12:27:59 AM »
My gripe with the DDI is that I pay to be placed at the mercy of someone else's hormones. You would generally have to be a masochist for that. It is my understanding that if you get banned for whatever reason, your money will not be refunded. Given the kind of idiocy that goes on now in the forums (G0, et al), that is the kind of investment that I would not be willing to make.

DDI gets a thumbs down from me for that reason. If I am to spend money on something, *I* am the one that should be deciding my fate, not some emo punk who had sucked enough cock to be given a bereaucratic generalship.

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 02:29:13 AM »
Yea that bothered me too. I didn't want to get banned so I did the best thing to keep my *future* DDI account safe : Stop posting on Gleemax. Hell I even removed it on my quickbar :)

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 03:30:29 AM »
Well, *I* stopped posting on principle.
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 04:14:00 AM »
So did I. But I won't be putting money into that honey trap, I can assure you...! ;)

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 04:47:42 AM »

Yea the DDI insider is just another reason to make sure your account don't get banned by some kind of attention whore

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 05:10:42 AM »
So let me get this straight...if your Gleemax account gets banned, then you lose your DDI subscription?

That...fails.  :blink

edit: why wouldn't you just create a gleemax account separate from the one you actually use and just never post from it, thus never risking your DDI subscription?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:12:32 AM by Kai »
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 06:13:21 AM »
So let me get this straight...if your Gleemax account gets banned, then you lose your DDI subscription?

That...fails.  :blink

edit: why wouldn't you just create a gleemax account separate from the one you actually use and just never post from it, thus never risking your DDI subscription?

That would:
1) require effort.
2) still mean that I am paying money for someone else to dictate to me.
3) be inconvenient (and even without money at stake, some people still make mistakes and post as their alts)
4) show the world that I am frakking desperate for WotC's services, which I am, frankly, not.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 12:01:01 AM »
My gripe with the DDI is that I pay to be placed at the mercy of someone else's hormones. You would generally have to be a masochist for that. It is my understanding that if you get banned for whatever reason, your money will not be refunded. Given the kind of idiocy that goes on now in the forums (G0, et al), that is the kind of investment that I would not be willing to make.

DDI gets a thumbs down from me for that reason. If I am to spend money on something, *I* am the one that should be deciding my fate, not some emo punk who had sucked enough cock to be given a bereaucratic generalship.

You might as well get a whole set of bondage gear with your DDI subscription, then. The Gleemax ban thing is something I wasn't aware of, but frankly, it sounds... downright ludicrous. So you have to get along with douchebags if you want access to their rules database (which, for me, is the only real selling point of DDI)? Granted, there's the other side of the story -- people having to put up with douchebags because they don't pay and the jerks do. 

I did because Meg got kicked out and, frankly, I went there for information. Most of that info is on poster's heads, not the forums themselves (though I still keep the Surrealdex on my bookmarks for occasional reference), and when the really smart people started moving here, I followed.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 05:54:44 PM »
You might as well get a whole set of bondage gear with your DDI subscription, then. The Gleemax ban thing is something I wasn't aware of, but frankly, it sounds... downright ludicrous. So you have to get along with douchebags if you want access to their rules database (which, for me, is the only real selling point of DDI)? Granted, there's the other side of the story -- people having to put up with douchebags because they don't pay and the jerks do. 
It sort of makes sense. I think your Faelmax account is tied in to everything in the WotC website. You'll have to ask the ones that got banned for confirmation, but if it is anything like other places, it means that if you log on with that account name, you are automatically blocked from everything if you get banned. That includes DDI. So, yes, if G0 throws an emotard, you lose everything.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2008, 01:42:08 AM »
I will point out exactaly how not cool it is to take peoples money for a service, and then ban them from that service. 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2008, 08:17:36 AM »
I will point out exactaly how not cool it is to take peoples money for a service, and then ban them from that service. 
It all depends on what goes in DDI's EULA.  Of course, if WotC tries to pull too much asshattery with DDI's EULA then they'll wind up losing some subscribers over it, or they could also lose subscribers if they allow asshattery to abound on their forums.  They may also lose subscribers if they try to pull too much asshattery and wind up banning lots of people for it.

In the end it would seem that DDI's fate is to royally suck no matter what happens.

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 09:05:12 AM »
Actually, interesting take.

WotC ties in DDI to Gleemax.

G0 starts keeps banning people arbitrarily.

WotC gets pissed because they're losing money.

Holy crap!  WotC's unchecked corporate greed as a positive force!
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 09:52:35 AM »
Actually, interesting take.

WotC ties in DDI to Gleemax.

G0 starts keeps banning people arbitrarily.

WotC gets pissed because they're losing money.

Holy crap!  WotC's unchecked corporate greed as a positive force!
Holy crap indeed!  We just might be posting on Gleemax this time next year.  :o

...Yeah, maybe I got a little carried away there.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 06:46:55 PM »
My opinion remains the same as it's ever been: WotC bit off way more than they could chew with this project, and had basically no idea of how many man-hours would be required to do it right and to maintain it once it was up and running.

If they're willing to bite the bullet and dedicate employees to the project, I think they can pull it off.  If they continue to try to do it on the side, it's going to crash and burn harder than the Hindenberg.
I don't think I agree.  WotC also did Magic Online, which is actually somewhat sophisticated.  AFAIK, they even put a dent into the Apprentice community, which was one of the more prevalent 3rd-party bits of software that let you play MTG online.

Now, I realize that MTG and D&D are very different beasts when it comes to putting stuff online, but what MTG lacks in relevant rules at a given point in time it more than makes up for with wonky new mechanics that come out each new pack of cards.  Basically the only thing I see taking more time with DDI than Magic Online is the 3D minimap.

Large difference:

Magic makes WotC money.  Magic makes WotC lots of money.  As such, Magic gets substantial manpower allocated to it; it's a reliable cash cow.

D&D does not make WotC the same kinds of money, and never has.  As such, it's not going to get the same level of consideration or manpower.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2008, 10:33:28 PM »
Large difference:

Magic makes WotC money.  Magic makes WotC lots of money.  As such, Magic gets substantial manpower allocated to it; it's a reliable cash cow.

D&D does not make WotC the same kinds of money, and never has.  As such, it's not going to get the same level of consideration or manpower.

Aye, I believe 3.5 (the very fact there WAS a 3.5) made that perfectly clear. The attempt to make 4e "less complex" to "appeal to more players" was a step in that direction, too.

Here's a silly little video I found before the release of 4e. http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/332/inside_dd_4th_edition

I found it on a RPG community with one moderator that makes G0 look almost like a saint. (Remember, I said almost).
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!