Author Topic: Sode 301-The Obama Baby Bump  (Read 7448 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Sode 301-The Obama Baby Bump
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »
http://brilliantgameologists.com/sode-301-the-obama-baby-bump-bs/

This episode was recorded live on November 18, 2009.  It is completely unedited except for calling out our intermission and had over 90 people viewing.  There were people in the chatroom contributing ideas as well.
Our favorite fat, bearded men

Shoutouts!

* Mouse Guard
    * Dominion
    * Word on the Street

Fatbeards are ruining the Hobistry
Contest!

Vote on when Meg is going to pop out the 4th Gameologists!

Laziness and ProcrastinationSunday, November 22nd at 8EST to have part 2 of this sode!  Join us to discuss why gamers are inherently lazy and time saving techniques!  We are going to try to have this as a call in episode, so stay tuned for details
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Sode 301-The Obama Baby Bump
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:01:04 PM »
Some discussion of  the use of the term "fatbeard" has arisen.  I would like to address that here. 

Fatbeard is not just a bad name and it is a concept desperately needed by the gaming community.  "A" fatbeard is someone who exemplifies all that is bad and wrong with members of the gaming hobby.  We are all fatbeards at one time or another and it is something we should strive to avoid.  While acknowledging that we are all shades of gray. 

Fatbeards are NOT people who have different kinds of fun or people who play (or don't play) any particular game.  Those people are known as "gamers" or "players."  Everyone plays differently and has many kinds of fun. 

What the term does allow is for people to playfully indicate when others are behaving badly.  And it allows for behaviors to be attributed to an example rather than singling out an individual.

The hard news is that some people have some extremely undesirable behavior and we (collectively) want it to end.  It's not OK and it is not funny anymore. 

Love the sinner hate the sin. 

And, it is also wicked funny.

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 10:33:42 PM »
on Diceless rping, there was a system called Sherpa where the resolution mechanic was to use a watch or something similar.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 02:34:55 AM »
In the spirit of not being a fatbeard (not that I think I am much of one):  what do people like about 4th Edition D&D?  I'll be really interested to hear what you all have to say. 

My first impressions of its pluses are: 
  • Still a highly tactical game, some interesting combat/tactical options for character builds.
  • Better game balance between casters and other classes, e.g., melee combat classes.

Caffeinemage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 12:21:57 PM »
My group tends to use either the term Neckbeard, or, Elite Veteran Gamer.  Though that might be a little more specific form of pomposity than fatbeard. You know somebody's a fatbeard when they bring their game playing experience into a discussion that has nothing to do with it.  As in "As an elite veteran Gamer whose GMed for 31 years, I disagree, even though my opinion isn't based in logic, fact, or even concept."  That might be more of a message board thing, but it's kind of the same problem in gaming.

Anyway, the problem with using a term like fatbeard playfully to let your friends know they're being douches is that it's just the next step on the euphemism treadmill.  People probably used to use munchkin playfully before it became a gamer curseword.