Author Topic: PbP Game Offsite *Game canceled*  (Read 5058 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
PbP Game Offsite *Game canceled*
« on: May 29, 2010, 04:01:13 PM »
I don't know if anyone noticed it, but in my signature I've been advertising a PbP game. It's off-site, so anyone who'd want to join in would have to sign up, but it's a private game so you don't have to worry about trolls or people who shouldn't be playing, barging in. That's sometimes an issue. As well, there's a dice system.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/invitation-only-rp/heroes-aren-t-born-they-re-made-private/t.59905761/

Have a look at it. Read over the house rules I've made. If you want to join, you're more than welcome to.

Right now there's only two players, and they're both friends of mine (one's the girlfriend).

We're just about to start the second mission so it'd be perfect timing.

It's not much. Anyone who's looked at my posts, or read various modules will probably know what I'm going for, or what I'm using. It's more or less just for fun.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 03:00:07 AM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: PbP Game Offsite
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 04:15:54 PM »
I'm in some 6-8 games now (half of which aren't actually active, mind you), and numerous games that no longer update, but I rarely, if ever, have had people barge in on games, and have never had trolls intruding. Maybe I haven't been in the right games? ;)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »
lol Not necessarily. Some sites are a lot worse than others for that. Gaia's such a site, but thankfully they have other thread sections to do that kind of thing on. It's one of the rules that they have to leave that particular section of the site along, and not spam it.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 05:09:44 PM »
Level and allowed sources? Not joining a 1st level core-only game no matter how great the houserules. ;)
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 05:33:42 PM »
Level and allowed sources? Not joining a 1st level core-only game no matter how great the houserules. ;)
Right now anyone joining is lvl 2. The other two are level 1, but just about to level up. As posted in the rules I've got written up, all sources are allowed so long as you list them (ie what Dungeon or Dragon magazine). However, player websites that have homebrew classes are not allowed (so no Lord of the Thundercats). The WBL will be that of Pathfinder so lvl 2 characters get 1k.

Random5000uk

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 05:44:41 PM »
hi kevin_video, i would be interested in joining your game, if it's not too late or troublesome  :)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 05:45:41 PM »
hi kevin_video, i would be interested in joining your game, if it's not too late or troublesome  :)
No, that's totally cool. Just have to sign up for the site, and PM me. The game's still going, but we can hash out what you want to be on the site via PMs.

Random5000uk

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »
Done

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 08:33:37 PM »
What's the expected activity? I have great days where I'll post repeatedly in an 8 hr period or longer, and days where I leave my apartment at 9 in the morning and get home a little before midnight.

I'm in god knows how many games (I'm pretty sure double digits right now, have to check), but most are only so active, and I try and post at least once in a 24 hour period so long as there is a reason to. I'd be down.

By the by, it's pathfinder wbl rules, not 100% pathfinder, right?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 08:37:10 PM »
Yes. It's got a few rules from PF just because I find it's easier to do with CMDC and CMB than it is to do opposing rolls. Just goes faster.

Everyone's got real life issues so I only ask that everyone posts once a day. Right now one of the players just got out of surgery so I'm not expecting her to be on 24/7. Just what she can do. So if we can all get together, it'll be non stop posting. If someone's got something to do, we can NPC them, or just bypass them (if it doesn't specifically involve them), and move alone with the story. It's what we're having to do now with that one player.

So right now I'm not sure what the expected activity will be because of that, but once she's back on her feet I'll expected it to get back to the moderate activity we had at the beginning.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 08:59:51 PM »
Well I'm prepping for my gf's prom, but I'll definitely think about what kinda charrie to submit to you once I get a minute at my comp again sometime tomorrow night. You've got a melee tank(ish) samurai, and a cleric caster, so I'll try and find a nifty way to participate. Maybe a warlock party face, going some sort of hellfire warlock route (no breakage, just for the fun of it, no worries!), just so we have a face and ranged potential. What's the combat/rp balance, if someone theoretically were considering a party-face/high-charisma character?

But yeah, either going ranged/party face hellfire warlock, or melee-debuff/party face hexblade. What's there to talk about with the hexblade, by the by? I note you've made the writer's changes, but what else might be discussed, seeing as they're one of my old favorites?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:15:49 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 09:32:29 PM »
Just got a third player. Random5000uk is going to play a rogue/soulknife so a ranged warlock would be perfectly acceptable. As for the hexblade, not much else other than what the writer said he wanted changed, got changed. I did add the dead levels to it though. They're minor, but they add a little flavour to it.

The combat balance probably be all that noticeable until higher levels, but you could probably abuse it.

Mostly this is just supposed to be a fun game. Whether you optimize or not isn't important, but I won't disallow it. I'd rather someone didn't make Pun-Pun for a PbP game though.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 09:45:27 PM »
Girlfriend's doing makeup, and you've got a manipulative supernatural devil's lawyer type.

Last question; flaws? Oui ou non?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 01:02:51 AM »
Girlfriend's doing makeup, and you've got a manipulative supernatural devil's lawyer type.

Last question; flaws? Oui ou non?
Yes, flaws are allowed. I'd prefer just one though because I do have the tendency to exploit them.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 08:43:48 PM »
Just got two new players that'll start up soon. I hope everyone enjoys this.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 05:40:18 PM »
Are you still welcoming players?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 09:25:29 PM »
Are you still welcoming players?
Yes and no. Yes if you don't mind that we won't be playing very much right now. It gives you plenty of time to make up a 2nd level character for the next part. No, because right now my grandma's on her death bed so unfortunately the game's been put on temporary hiatus. I'm very grateful to everyone in the game who's been very supportive of what my family and I are going through.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 09:35:19 PM »
I won't very much mind... i just really need to game as a player because DMing is burning me out...
so, ECL 2, how should I generate stats, can specifics on character creation, is the LA by off, and would there be enough down time between adventures to make an artificer viable?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 09:44:42 PM »
I won't very much mind... i just really need to game as a player because DMing is burning me out...
so, ECL 2, how should I generate stats, can specifics on character creation, is the LA by off, and would there be enough down time between adventures to make an artificer viable?
Fair enough. All the rules on my link. If you scroll down, the second and third post should answer any questions you have (game rules and house rules). This includes the lack of buy-offs. However, you're not forced to take all of your levels either (ie if you want to take half-celestial, but only 1 level of it, you can). As for downtime, it's hard to judge because a few of the characters don't like downtime so they push for things to happen as quickly as possible. Even sleep seems to get in their way of more adventure. So I'll say no, just because the majority usually rules, and so far the fighter types have been making the spellcasters ashamed that they run out of spells, making them have to stay in one spot for 6 hours to get them back. :rollseyes I've been PMing a couple of them to step down on that.

EDIT: ECL 2 gets 1000 gold, not 300 for 1st level.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 10:10:50 PM »
Fair enough. All the rules on my link. If you scroll down, the second and third post should answer any questions you have (game rules and house rules). This includes the lack of buy-offs. However, you're not forced to take all of your levels either (ie if you want to take half-celestial, but only 1 level of it, you can). As for downtime, it's hard to judge because a few of the characters don't like downtime so they push for things to happen as quickly as possible. Even sleep seems to get in their way of more adventure. So I'll say no, just because the majority usually rules, and so far the fighter types have been making the spellcasters ashamed that they run out of spells, making them have to stay in one spot for 6 hours to get them back. :rollseyes I've been PMing a couple of them to step down on that.

EDIT: ECL 2 gets 1000 gold, not 300 for 1st level.

But... if I had a portable hole, or hat of opulent logging, or any sort of extra dimentional space I could fit in, I could craft while others sleep... I'd need a race that doesn't need sleep... so warforged is a good fit.