Author Topic: half-fey gishish character: feedback plz!  (Read 2095 times)

Waazraath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
half-fey gishish character: feedback plz!
« on: May 29, 2010, 10:51:46 AM »
Heej all,

Could anybody plz give some feedback on the following build?

The role of the character is at low level caster/glass canon, making fly by attacks and a reach weapon (punishing stance and steel wind for 2 attacks at 1d10 + 1d6 + str), casting hypnotisms and glitterdusts (with magic in the blood), maybe some low level debuffs with ray of enfeeblement (duskblade) and the leading the attack manouver (hit for 1d10 + 1d6 + str and give allies +4).
Later level, it should be able to still do a lot damage and do some supporting casting. At higher level I imagine something like: fly by (with max tumble if needed), hit with a divine surge and sack a low level spell for e.g. +3 to hit & 3d10 damage, after end of turn use quickening strike for a true strike, next round make a fly-bye attack, use another strike (as required), and use full power attack for e.g. +32 dam.

Build

Waazraath

Re: half-fey gishish character: feedback plz!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 07:23:28 AM »
Some feat and spell suggestions? Anybody?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »
I am assuming Abj Champ is progressing the Suel casting, since otherwise you don't have enough Duskblade in there to qualify for JPM.

Also, maybe my copy is wrong, but I see no school restrictions for the maneuvers or stance needed for JPM entry. Just saying.

Also, what is the intent for the Strength domain? I don't really see how it gives you anything worth a whole lot for the feat cost.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Waazraath

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 05:48:23 PM »
I am assuming Abj Champ is progressing the Suel casting, since otherwise you don't have enough Duskblade in there to qualify for JPM.

correct

Also, maybe my copy is wrong, but I see no school restrictions for the maneuvers or stance needed for JPM entry. Just saying.

correct, no school/discipline requirements for getting into JPM. Why, would you choose other manouvers (from other disciplines)?

Also, what is the intent for the Strength domain? I don't really see how it gives you anything worth a whole lot for the feat cost.

Well, mainly for access to righteous might. But given the 1/day, it's prolly not worth it indeed, since our party doesn't have an incantatrix to persist the spell. Any suggestions? Those feats listed there are potential alternatives for the last 3 feats (lvl 12, 15, 18), but I never played much above lvl 12-14, so I'm not really sure there. Same goes for which spells are still worth it at the higher levels.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 05:58:35 PM »
I'd personally move the Power Attack feat up so it comes into play earlier. You could always just have a command-activated item of Righteous Might, or UMD it via scroll or wand or staff, or what have you. I'd also dump the necromantic bloodline feat (unless you are just totally sold on it, since a decent number of the spells it grants access to you already have access to) and Quicken SLA Glitterdust for Arcane Strike and Practiced Spellcaster. You are going to have a pretty decent pool of spells, so using a couple with AS isn't going to hurt too badly, and it also offsets the penalty from Power Attack. Don't bother Practiced Spellcastering the Duskblade, though. Knowledge Devotion is also another good feat, if you can find a way to slip it in.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

Waazraath

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 06:54:54 PM »
I'd personally move the Power Attack feat up so it comes into play earlier. You could always just have a command-activated item of Righteous Might, or UMD it via scroll or wand or staff, or what have you. I'd also dump the necromantic bloodline feat (unless you are just totally sold on it, since a decent number of the spells it grants access to you already have access to) and Quicken SLA Glitterdust for Arcane Strike and Practiced Spellcaster. You are going to have a pretty decent pool of spells, so using a couple with AS isn't going to hurt too badly, and it also offsets the penalty from Power Attack. Don't bother Practiced Spellcastering the Duskblade, though. Knowledge Devotion is also another good feat, if you can find a way to slip it in.

I'd like to get spells from the Suel Arcanamach list that I can use with arcane channeling. Suel arcanamach only gives access to abjuration, divination, illuion and transmutation spells... and those schools don't have too much offensive touch spells that I know of, unfortunately. Necromantic bloodline gives some nice touch necro-spells (vampiric touch and ghoul's touch) that go great with arcane channeling. Wouldn't that make it worth it to take the necromantic bloodline?

Knowledge devotion was on my shortlist, but I lack the skillpoints to make it work, alas.

Think you're right on power attack, as for arcane strike: how does it stack with arcane wrath from the JPM?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 06:58:24 PM »
It should stack just fine. I had forgotten about Arcane Wrath, though. The guaranteed +4 to hit is probably better than Arcane Strike, since you can just burn a 1st level slot to get the +4 to hit.

And no, there aren't that many great spells you can arcane channel off the Arcanamach list, but I seem to recall the duskblade can only channel spells cast from duskblade slots. I am quite likely wrong on that one, since I am AFB, but it might be good to doublecheck that.

Edit: If you are still set on using a Domain, use the Moon one. Moonblade can get you a two-handed weapon that makes all attacks as a touch attack, as well as some other interesting abilities. Yes, it's once/day, but it's got a decent duration, and would make for a pretty good offensive weapon due to not having to worry nearly as much about attack rolls.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Waazraath

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »
It should stack just fine. I had forgotten about Arcane Wrath, though. The guaranteed +4 to hit is probably better than Arcane Strike, since you can just burn a 1st level slot to get the +4 to hit.

Then I guess the feat is better spent in another way.

And no, there aren't that many great spells you can arcane channel off the Arcanamach list, but I seem to recall the duskblade can only channel spells cast from duskblade slots. I am quite likely wrong on that one, since I am AFB, but it might be good to doublecheck that.

Book says "any touch spell you know", should work unless I missed an errata or anything.

Edit: If you are still set on using a Domain, use the Moon one. Moonblade can get you a two-handed weapon that makes all attacks as a touch attack, as well as some other interesting abilities. Yes, it's once/day, but it's got a decent duration, and would make for a pretty good offensive weapon due to not having to worry nearly as much about attack rolls.

Sounds nice, I'll check it out. Thnx, btw  :)