Author Topic: Spell Thief/Ur-priest -- Need suggestions  (Read 4001 times)

Vomica

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Spell Thief/Ur-priest -- Need suggestions
« on: May 25, 2010, 07:18:09 PM »
Starting a new campaign soon, and I've managed to get the DM allow Ur-priest. She even adapted it so I can have the PC be neutral or CN. ...anyways.

The game starts at level 14, each character gets the standard 50,000 gold. My current plan is to start with Spell Thief, take four levels in an arcane caster, and then go with a level in Mind Bender (Apparently the DM's interpretation of the prerequisites are met with Spell Thief and the arcane caster -- just as long as I get Charm). The rest of the 14 levels will be in Ur-priest. I plan on going the DMM as well, so charisma is a must. The books at my disposal are anything published by WotC, except for dragon magazine, 3.0 books, and most campaign setting materials. For race... I'm highly encouraged to go human. The other party members don't know about the Ur-priest levels, so picking up a Hat of Anonymity and Mask of Lies is already on the list of items. What else? The role in the party will likely be the skill monkey or the face.

So the questions are:
How can I minimize being MAD?
What arcane caster should I go with? Sorcerer? Beguiler? Wizard? ...Warmage?
Suggestions for feats? EXP -- and go with persist divine might? Oh, and Mind Sight has already been banned.
How about equipment? Nightsticks won't stack...

Anything I missed or need to address?

Nemo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Spell Thief/Ur-priest -- Need suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:24:33 PM »
Try making Ur-Priest arcane, take Master Spellthief and beguiler\warmage\prestige bard\sublime chord?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:35:33 PM by Nemo »

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:37:10 PM »
some comments
1) 14 levels of Ur Priest?  The prestige class is 10 levels long.
2) Without mindsight, it's not worth delaying Ur Priest to take Mindbender.
3) After level 2, Ur Priest gets very few useful abilities.  It may be better to go into a double progression class afterward.

My suggestion:

Spellthief 1/Savage Bard 4/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 3/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Theurge 4-8/Sublime Chord 2/ XX(mindbender? etc.) 3
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:23:40 PM »
some comments
3) After level 2, Ur Priest gets very few useful abilities.  It may be better to go into a double progression class afterward.

My suggestion:

Spellthief 1/Savage Bard 4/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 3/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Theurge 4-8/Sublime Chord 2/ XX(mindbender? etc.) 3

+1 to the above.  I find the concept intriguing, but I don't really get what this character is trying to do.  From what you've said I'm seeing a sneaky divine gish type w/ some divine spellcasting in his back pocket.  I would love to see a good way of combining Spellthief and Ur-Priest, as I think thematically/conceptually they make sense together. 

The arcane magic strikes me as kind of random.  You could get charm through some of those heritage feats, I think, like the Fey ones, which means you might have a better use than the levels.  There's also the sneaky cleric prestige class in Complete Adventurer (Shadowbane Stalker, iirc) and maybe even a Divine Prankster.

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 08:37:41 PM »
Dread Necromancer

Charisma-based casting and Rebuke Undead.

I don't think they get Charm Person, but could you sneak into Mindbender if you were using a runestaff or something?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 08:39:14 PM »
some comments

He's starting with some Spellthief, adding some arcane caster, and dipping Mindbender for a level.

Vomica

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 09:12:50 PM »
Try making Ur-Priest arcane, take Master Spellthief and beguiler\warmage\prestige bard\sublime chord?
Is this possible? The few obscure methods I know require alot of cheese, and the DM downright banned a player for trying to soak the con damage from Hellfire Warlock.

some comments

1) Miscommunication on my part, I meant the remaining unspent levels out of the 14.
2) True, but I am always always a sucker for being able to communicate with just a thought.
3) I'll consider this

Also: Sublime Cord has been ruled out for various settings specific reasons I'm afraid...

..combining Spell thief and Ur-Priest, as I think thematically/conceptually they make sense together.
That was the entire purpose of the build!

The arcane magic strikes me as kind of random...
Yes, yes I know. But I made a quick run thru of the PrCs that I could easy qualify for, feat the character thematically, and most importantly would give me the needed +2 fort for Ur-priest (Which needs a +3 will/+3 fort save).

Dread Necromancer might work, will need to talk the DM into it, and it'll fit nicely with the mechanics. Psionics are permitted, but Incarnom, ToM, and ToB are banned. Beyond classes and other PrCs, and feats, items, etc that might be useful? I think Able Learner is a given at this point...

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 12:21:21 AM »
Setting specific? It mentions a single city and talks about adopting it to other cities!  Bah!

Yeah, able learner is pretty much required. There is always Ardent/Ur Priest/Psychic Theurge
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Vomica

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 06:26:55 AM »
And final question! Other then Mystic Theurge, what other PrCs give dual divine/arcane progression? Or is that it?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
Arcane Hierophant, Fochlucan lyrist