Author Topic: Increasing spells per day  (Read 3494 times)

RealMarkP

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Increasing spells per day
« on: May 24, 2010, 04:15:15 PM »
Other than stacking Wisdom (or Intelligence for a wizard), how can I increase the amount of spells I can cast per day? Also, how far can you min/max this? I'm playing a divine caster (The Healer, Miniatures Handbook).

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Increasing spells per day
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:18:11 PM »
TAAAAAAAAAAAAAINT.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 04:21:51 PM »
TAAAAAAAAAAAAAINT.

Taint or Primal Scholar.  Proper abuse of Primal Scholar means a recharge method akin to the psions, without mucking about with circle magic and dweomers of transference and whathaveyou.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

RealMarkP

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:48:26 PM »
Now is a good time to mention that I'm LG and planning to stay that way and also it's a Faerun campaign setting.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 04:49:45 PM »
It's never a good time to be LG and planning to stay that way, let alone mention it.  What are you doing going power-mad as an LG? :P
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

RealMarkP

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »
I require the LG alignment for a PrC and the DM doesn't make switching alignments easy. Yes, yes, I heard the rants on these boards before about how much it sucks to penalize alignment changes.

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 05:36:49 PM »
TAAAAAAAAAAAAAINT.

Taint or Primal Scholar.  Proper abuse of Primal Scholar means a recharge method akin to the psions, without mucking about with circle magic and dweomers of transference and whathaveyou.

How exactly does this work...even if you increase your taint exponentially wouldn't you only gain the bonus slots at the beginning of the day/time you prepare your spells, rather than immediately when your taint score becomes a level which would grant you bonus spells.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 11:57:33 AM »
TAAAAAAAAAAAAAINT.

How exactly does this work...even if you increase your taint exponentially wouldn't you only gain the bonus slots at the beginning of the day/time you prepare your spells, rather than immediately when your taint score becomes a level which would grant you bonus spells.

Yes.  Tainted Sorcerer (better than Scholar...trust me) to provide the framework and eliminate MAD, Primal Scholar for it's gift allowing replenishment of spell slots.  I'm AFB, but it was hashed out in depth in one of my mage threads last winter (do a search for Primal Scholar, and I'm sure it'll be in the results somewhere).
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 12:48:26 PM »
Pearls of power?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 01:29:59 PM »
What books do you have access to? Illumians can get bonus spells based on Strength. Your job would be to keep the Strength score for as long as possible (Persistify?).

As with practically every post I seem to make these days, this would also work well with a Planar Shepherd, if you had access to Eberron prestige classes.

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 05:19:32 AM »
What books do you have access to? Illumians can get bonus spells based on Strength. Your job would be to keep the Strength score for as long as possible (Persistify?).

As with practically every post I seem to make these days, this would also work well with a Planar Shepherd, if you had access to Eberron prestige classes.

Gorramit i was just about to start a thread about optimizing that illuminian ability.

Wildshape works, and so does DMM persist on something that gives FOMG high STR  (Giant Size?)
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 05:48:09 AM »
If changing alignments isn't easy, you have Protection From Change (tm).  Write LG on your sheet and act like you want.  Alignments are subjective anyway.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"