Author Topic: Planar Domains and Prestige Classes  (Read 1739 times)

Cuindless

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Occam's Razor
Planar Domains and Prestige Classes
« on: May 24, 2010, 02:05:10 PM »
Is there a rule, FAQ or Errata further defining the relationship between the Planar Domains found in the Spell Compendium and their interaction with bonus domains? The opening text of the Planar Domains section stats that a planar domain "counds at both of a cleric's domain choices", which implies to me that you need to be a Cleric to get access to planar domains, but that isn't explicit. What if you don't have any levels of Cleric? Can you select a planar domain when you get a bonus domain such as from Contemplative or Divine Crusader? If there is no rule, FAQ or Errata, how would you all rule on this?

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Planar Domains and Prestige Classes
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »
The planar domains are also described in Planar Handbook. But the book does not answer your questions I fear.

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:13:25 PM »
Is there a rule, FAQ or Errata further defining the relationship between the Planar Domains found in the Spell Compendium and their interaction with bonus domains? The opening text of the Planar Domains section stats that a planar domain "counds at both of a cleric's domain choices", which implies to me that you need to be a Cleric to get access to planar domains, but that isn't explicit. What if you don't have any levels of Cleric? Can you select a planar domain when you get a bonus domain such as from Contemplative or Divine Crusader? If there is no rule, FAQ or Errata, how would you all rule on this?

Unless you know of another class or PrC that gives you two domains at once, on the same level, you can't trade out two domains for a planar domain without a cleric.  Well, you could go Contemplative 6 and try to convince your DM to let you trade those two domains for a planar domain, but you'd have been using one for like 5 levels, and that may not fly.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 06:15:33 PM »
For that matter, what is to stop you from using the Substitute Domain spell from swapping one domain for a planar domain?  I think that is a legal method of getting access to a Planar domain while not giving up both of yours.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Cuindless

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Occam's Razor
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 03:39:59 PM »
So, I take it there is no official ruling on this?

Also, Snakeman, where did you get the Substitute Domain spell from?

And ANOTHER question: If you have the Divine Crusader PrC and extra domains from Contemplative, Warpriest and Divine Oracle can you take the "Spontaneous Domain" feat to basically become a spontaneous caster?

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 03:53:42 PM »
If one was an epic character, got the Bonus Domain class ability and took the Epic feat Bonus Domain at the same level, then yes.

Or if one got a Bonus Domain, decided to let the ability lie dormant, then got another Bonus Domain, then also yes. That requires twisting of the rules, however.

Don't see how otherwise.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 04:11:24 PM »
Substitue Domain is in Complete Champion.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.