Author Topic: Nerdcore Rap  (Read 2549 times)

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
Nerdcore Rap
« on: June 22, 2008, 07:50:47 AM »
Who here listens? I know Josh does (from another thread), but does anyone else? I'm a big fan of MC Frontalot, but I' interested in what other people are geeking out on.

I also want to note that any artist who can work the words "Passe", "Genuflect", "Subgenre", "Predilection", "Surfeit", and "Hyperbolic" (in the sense of hyperbole) into one verse has my eternal admiration ("Braggadocio", verse 2).
I know gameology-fu.

ShaggyShaggs

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • He's just this guy, you know?
Re: Nerdcore Rap
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 07:53:42 AM »
Front is the shit, as is MC Chris and to a lesser extent MC Lars.  Also, while he's not rap, I don't think this thread can go long without mention of Jonathan Coulton, and he's definitely worth listening to. o/` I made this half pony half monkey monster to please you, but I get the feeling that you don't like it, what's with all the screaming?! o/` -- which is not to mention Mandelbrot Set which speaks volumes for itself.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 07:55:33 AM by ShaggyShaggs »
"Your STFU N00b roll fails!"
"Crap. Can I make a saving LOL?"

"I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally, I lean toward unlimited rights. I feel, for instance, I have the right to do anything I please; but, if I do something you don't like, I think you have the right to kill me. So where you gonna find a fairer fucking deal than that?" - George Carlin

Elephant Jack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:25:44 AM »
I'm not quite sure if this fits, but you'll find some cool tracks on this one http://www.amazon.com/G-E-R-M-Matrix-Marquis-Spiritual-Warriors/dp/B00068221Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1214133873&sr=8-6
Track 6 (Mental Gear Solid) is da shizznit!

EJ

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 05:47:51 PM »
I like YTcracker, Optimus Rhyme, Beefy

Front is the shit, as is MC Chris and to a lesser extent MC Lars.  Also, while he's not rap, I don't think this thread can go long without mention of Jonathan Coulton, and he's definitely worth listening to. o/` I made this half pony half monkey monster to please you, but I get the feeling that you don't like it, what's with all the screaming?! o/` -- which is not to mention Mandelbrot Set which speaks volumes for itself.
Technically Jonathon Coulton is not Nerdcore, and is instead another part of nerd music.  He is pretty cool though.

There are a number of other sects like wrock or wizard rock.  Rock music all themed to Harry Potter.  Some of it is really good and a number of the artists who do it also do other music.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 01:18:08 PM »
What Josh said.

Also ZeaLouS1, Dual Core, Emergency Pizza Party ( :( ), several others.

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 04:53:53 PM »
MC Lars - Space Game was ranked #3 on the WBER year end countdown for 2006.  A lot of songs from The Graduate made it into regular rotation at our station.

I've played MC Chris on my show and another DJ plays MC Frontalot on his...
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 05:00:34 PM »
Also I feel obligated to mention that mcchris wants nothing to do with the term "nerdcore" because of random drama.

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »
Oh god... The only reason I even know of him is because he had two songs in ITG: Which MC was that (which sucked) and PA Theme (which I sorta liked).

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 07:00:13 PM »
Which MC Was That is kinda fun, but he's not really on his home turf there. Try Bizarro Genius Baby or Secrets From the Future, both available free off his website. You'll get more of a sense of what he can do from those than the two you listed. In general, he's more "PA Theme".
I know gameology-fu.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »
Don't know if this is relly nerdcore, but I enjoy Lotus Juice....

Here are some samples (BEWARE: engrish a lot)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AKy--iCDUNM&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dD5NMgze4oc