Author Topic: Help please with my Elan psion level 6+  (Read 4645 times)

lianightdemon

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Help please with my Elan psion level 6+
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »
The campaign

Psionics is different from magic and not well known. It's a recent discovery. Have yet to see any other psions in the world.

Magic is feared and illegal and the most common mages are a cult group of women who hate men. So far obtaining magic items is difficult and we have only seen a few wands.

Faith magic is perfectly accepted in the world and so far our only means of obtaining magic items or anything at all. DM seriously under prices cure light wounds potions at 5 silver each.

For prestige class you need to find them during game and be taught. Knowledge skills also need to be learned. No leadership or thrallherd or feats of similar effect.

Low treasure
For a party of our level we have had very little treasure and nowhere near the expected wealth we should have for our level.

The Party

We've had a number of party changes due to deaths and people unable to attend the game.

Cleric 4 (may be 5 now)
lawful good
human
St Cuthbert
Focused on healing and also destruction

Fighter2/Rogue2
human
choatic or neutrel good
uses spiked chain and focuses on aoo.

Sorcerer 3
neutral good
gnome
Wants to try for shadowcraft mage.

ranger 2
halfling-female
neutral good
Recently joined the game

Fighter 3
human
neutrel good
Missed last session and now separated from the party with no gear.

My character

XP: 14914
Psion egoist 2, Elan paragon 3
Elan
Neutrel good (2/3 points to towards Choatic good)
Str 8
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 21 
Wis 14
Cha 8

Skills/ranks
Craft armorsmithing 7
Craft Alchemy 6
Craft weaponsmithing 6
Knowledge psionics 7
Psicraft 8
Autohypnosis 8

Feats
Elan Psion level 1 varient:Aberrant Manifesting: lose 1 level 1 power in exchange for being able to use store power points to spend on racials during the same round as a power is manifested.
1:Psicrystal Affinity: single minded
1:Psionic body
3:Craft Psionic Crystal (this feat is similar to craft universal item but the items created work only for Elan and can't be stolen unless the Elan is killed.)

Gear
Chain shirt MC
Heavy wooden shield
psionic crystal of holding (works like a bag of holding 1)
cure light wounds potionx6
backpack x3
daggerx1
flint and steel
raw leather
medical supplies
5 unidentified potions
3 unidentified wands
snake skin armor (as leather armor but with +1 cha based skills)
rapier
crossbow light
crossbow light MC
bolts 25
bolts MC 15
mix matched hide armor
fullplate
shotty leather armor ( 1 armor)
heavy metal shield
artisan tools: armorsmithing
sackx3
bedrollx1
rope 30ft hemp
50gp
12cp

Powers
Matter agitation
Vigor
grease, psionic
psionic presdigitation- hoping to make this an at will item trouble is gold.
Empathic transfer
levitate, psionic
Psychoportive Shelter
Ego whip
Time hop
Share Pain

Psicrystal
Int 8, Wis 11
Feats
Alertness
Hidden Talent : minor creation
weapon finesse

It gains HD equal to my level, Including feats, BAB and ability adjustments. 

Selling things is difficult, we are in the wilderness a lot and can't usually stay in towns for too long. The reason I'm so much ahead of the rest of the party is that the GM gives out roleplay awards and I've won it 5 times now last two got me 3000xp a piece. From the lack of NPC support I've decided I need to do all my own item crafting and likely some for the party as well. Trouble again is the lack of gold to fund it and our party keeps dying and needs to be regeared. I am able to make my own psionic items since magic and psionics is different and there really aren't many psionic items.

I'm looking for suggestions for level 6 and higher. I am planning to reform at level 7 and abuse metamorphosis. For prestige classes I will likely need to find a member of it in order to take it. Thanks in advance.

Books allowed
Core of course
Expanded Psionics
Complete psionic
And anything I can get the GM to approve
I have most of the WOTC books and a few 3rd source ones aswell

Please avoid broken loopholes. Empathic transfer only works on others and won't heal myself. Not certain if this is true for bestow power as well.

Elan Paragon
http://www.wakinglands.com/htm_files/paragon_classes_elan.htm

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:49:19 PM by lianightdemon »

lianightdemon

Re: Help please with my Elan psion level 6+
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 08:51:34 PM »
So for the next two levels  I was thinking of doing the following.

Level 6

Feats
3:Craft Psionic Crystal
6: Expanded Knowledge: Astral Construct

Powers
Matter agitation
Vigor
grease, psionic
psionic prestidigitation- hoping to make this an at will item trouble is gold.
Empathic transfer
levitate, psionic
Psychoportive Shelter
Ego whip
Time hop
Share Pain
Astral construct
Dispel Psionics
Swarm of crystals

Psicrystal feats
Alertness
weapon finesse
??

Level 7

Feats
3:Craft Psionic Crystal

Powers
Matter agitation
Vigor
grease, psionic
psionic prestidigitation- hoping to make this an at will item trouble is gold.
Empathic transfer
levitate, psionic
Psychoportive Shelter
Ego whip
Time hop
Share Pain
Astral construct
Dispel Psionics
Swarm of crystals
Psychic Reformation
Metamorphosis

Psicrystal feats
Alertness
weapon finesse
??

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 09:00:44 PM »
First, I know very little of psionics, I think it's more than 3 years since I last played one due to DMs not liking psionics.

If you can somehow get a psionic mantle (from the ardent class, I think there's a feat to do it), you could take the magic mantle, and then magic and psionics is the same for you.

Apart from that you need little help, you are the strongest in your party, so you should more help your friends than boost yourself.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

lianightdemon

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »
I could when I hit my 5th level of psion. It would require 8 ranks in heal but it would give me the Healing mantle. Then from there I could take 2 feats from complete psionic and get the magic mantle and the mantle benefit.

However my GM allowed me to make the following powers. Still a little rough right now, need to write them out fully.

Dispel Magic, psionic
4th level psion/wilder

As Dispel Psionics however it effects magic instead of psionics.

And..

Spell Resistance, psionic
6th level psion/wilder

As Power resistance however it grants spell resistance instead of Power resistance.

I took share pain so I could help the party, the sorcerer is especially fragile. For a while we had lost the rest of the party, he got hurt pretty bad and nearly died.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:17:25 PM by lianightdemon »

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 09:18:17 PM »
Spell Resistance Spiel[spoiler]Spell resistance comes in 3 flavors:  Trivial, formidable, and impossible.

Trivial SR: You pass on a 3 or less.  May require assay resistance or another ability to make beating SR trivial.

Formidable: Even with your best abilities, you still need a 4+ to breach SR.  Often, you need a 10+.

Impossible: You can't breach it or your chances are so low that trying ain't worth it.  You typically need a 15+ with all your abilities to break SR.[/spoiler]
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

lianightdemon

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »
Well in this case I could get it between level 11-13. in which case it would provide 12+11=23 SR.
The typical caster would be those levels as well so would need to roll 10-12 to beat it so 50% about.  And if I overchannel it then it can have +2 manifester level and thus grant a SR of 25-27 making the caster require rolls of 14-16.

I see your point spells that increase spell casting level for spell resistance make it trival.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:41:16 PM by lianightdemon »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 12:28:12 AM »
Truthfully, I wouldn't go for Magic mantle in a "psionics are different" game.  Yes, it means you can dispel magic with your Dispel Psionics power, but it also means that your own powers can be dispelled and you have to worry about SR.  Why say "it doesn't take much effort to beat their Spell Resistance" when you can say "Haha, loser!"?  When those clerics throw up an AMF (if they're dumb), walk right up to them and spit in their face.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:42:20 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 01:35:01 AM »
Truthfully, I wouldn't go for Magic mantle in a "psionics are different" game.  Yes, it means you can dispel magic with your Dispel Psionics power, but it also means that your own powers can be dispelled and you have to worry about SR.  Why say "it doesn't take much effort to beat their Spell Resistance" when you can say "Haha, loser!"?  When those clerics throw up an AMF (if they bother), walk right up to them and shit in their face.
Fixed.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 05:23:55 PM »
In Psi / Magic NON transparency ... getting Detect Magic, the magic version not the detect psionic version, is worth it.
Same thing with Dispel Magic.

Recharge or carnivore's guide or don't try to be an Erudite.
Mind's Eye update has interesting flavor, if not overwhelming mechanics.

I'd say ditch the Astral Construct. Arc or Div summoners are generically better.

Did I just mention carnivore again?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »
Detect Magic is easy enough to get.  It's also likely that Detect psionics can pick up magic, given that it specifies you can tell the difference between magic and psionic auras in the power description.  Dispel Magic is a little tougher, but I'm positive the benefits of ignoring attempts to stifle magic is better than being able to Dispel it.

Let's look at the differences.  If you Dispel a buff on an enemy, it makes the one encounter easier.  If the enemy can't resist or dispel you, it makes almost every encounter easier.  There is one power that will dispel psionic effects (Dispel Psionics) with a couple that target specific powers/spells (Shatter Mind Blank, Dismiss Ectoplasm).  There are numerous that dispel magical effects (Dispel magic, Greater Dispel Magic, Dispelling Screen, Chain Dispel, Disjunction, Reaving Dispel, Relentless Dispelling*, Voracious Dispelling*, Break Enchantment, Caster's Lament*, Devour Magic*, might have missed a few).

Antimagic Field and Null Psionics field are pretty rare, but I see no reason to subject yourself to both by giving yourself transparency.

Finally,the number of monsters with SR or Magic Immunity is immense compared to those with PR or Psionics Immunity (only one with Psionics immunity).  Being able to just ignore these defenses is pretty potent.

Finally, remember that there are several powers that specify working on spells.  The number of spells that specify working on powers can be counted on one hand.

*: denotes Warlock invocation
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 07:07:50 PM »
wow ... that Elan Paragon prC is Awesome...  all i would do iscontinue as you are planning... but when you use Reformation ... adjust your feats as follows:

1:Craft Psionic Crystal
3: Knowledge Devotion

Knowledge Devotion ... its like a permanent Offensive Precognition + Offensive Prescience that does not cost PP

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 07:20:02 PM »
wow ... that Elan Paragon prC is Awesome...  all i would do iscontinue as you are planning... but when you use Reformation ... adjust your feats as follows:

1:Craft Psionic Crystal
3: Knowledge Devotion

Knowledge Devotion ... its like a permanent Offensive Precognition + Offensive Prescience that does not cost PP

But caps out at +5 and eats skill points instead.  It's a great feat and all, but I would rather just spend the PP myself to get a bigger benefit than having to devote quite a few skill points to each of 5 skills.  That's just my personal prefrence, though.  Knowledge Devotion is still really useful.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

lianightdemon

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 07:46:16 PM »
Actually level 7+ I was going to change everything pretty much.

1   Psion 1   Psicrystal affinity   extend power
2   Elan Paragon 1      
3   Elan Paragon 2   overchannel   
4   Elan Paragon 3      
5   Psion 2      
6   Psion 3   metamorphic transfer   
7   Psion 4      
8   Psion 5   psicrystal containment   

Not certain if I will be able to qualify for this prestige then.
9   Anarchic Initiate 1   split psionic ray   
10   Anarchic Initiate 2      
11   Anarchic Initiate 3      
12   Anarchic Initiate 4   quicken power   
13   Anarchic Initiate 5      
14   Anarchic Initiate 6      
15   Anarchic Initiate 7   burrowing power   
16   Anarchic Initiate 8      
17   Anarchic Initiate 9      
18   Anarchic Initiate 10   twin power   
19   psionic Mindbender 1      
20   Psion  6      

Powers
These will change a lot with psychic reformation, as I will need to do item creation and incarnating.

level 7

1   1   crystal shard
2   1   astral construct
3   1   entangling ectoplasm
4   1   vigor
5   2   swarm of crystals
6   2   empathic transfer
7   2   dimension swap
8   2   Psychoportive Shelter
9   3   dispel psionics
10   3   energy wall
11   3   time hop
12   3   evade burst
13   4   Dispel magic, psionic
14   4   metamorphosis

Psicrystal will have Hidden Talent inertial armor so I can borrow it to buff in the morning.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:08:55 PM by lianightdemon »

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 07:29:58 AM »
But caps out at +5 and eats skill points instead.  It's a great feat and all, but I would rather just spend the PP myself to get a bigger benefit than having to devote quite a few skill points to each of 5 skills.  That's just my personal prefrence, though.  Knowledge Devotion is still really useful.

not only do the powers cost PP, but also Actions to manifest them ... to get +5 to hit and damage with those 2 powers... heres what you need:

Offensive Precognition spend 13 PP+ Standard Action and be 13th lvl Manifester or 19 PP+Swift Action and 19th lvl Manifester
Offensive Prescience spend 10 PP+ Standard Action and be 10th lvl Manifester or 16 PP+Swift Action and 16th lvl Manifester

to use Linked Power you need to be 23rd lvl or 35th lvl depending on how fast you need the boost

Knowledge Devotion is FAR superior .... besides that, did you have a lot of things you were planning on spending Skill points on?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:04:15 PM by carnivore »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 10:06:21 AM »
I use Hyperconcious ;)

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 06:54:12 PM »
Metamorphic Transfer + that Alter Self item somebody made for you = "Cheating"  ;)

lianightdemon

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 07:01:02 PM »
Metamorphic Transfer + that Alter Self item somebody made for you = "Cheating"

explain and what alter self item?

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 06:56:38 AM »
usually it refers to using a custom made item(one that you pay a Wizard to make for you... so you dont have to spend XP on) that continuously grants the Alter Self effect very Cheaply and combined with the feat Metamorphic Transfer to gain some very powerful abilities from the Form chosen

however the item already exists... but a bit stronger... notice under Psychoactive Skins in XPH:

Skin of Proteus: This psychoactive skin continually affects the wearer as the metamorphosis power. While in a form other than his natural form, the wearer does not appear to be wearing the skin.
Moderate psychometabolism; ML 7th; Craft Universal Item, metamorphosis; Price 84,000 gp; Weight 2 lb.

lianightdemon

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 07:51:59 AM »
As an Elan when I change my form with metamorphosis, would I keep my racial (SU) abilities such as resistance and resilience?

My paragon grants me a boost in my resilience and 60ft darkvision, would I retain those since they are class abilities?

"one that you pay a Wizard to make for you... so you dont have to spend XP on"
There is the trouble all the arcane casters we met are part of the evil cult who'd want to convert me with their pain sticks. Pain stick is a magical stick about the size of a pen that inflicts a lot of pain when hit with it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:58:51 AM by lianightdemon »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 10:18:16 AM »
Metamorphosis lets you keep your Su abilities.  Class-granted abilities are always retained unless specifically stated otherwise.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]