Author Topic: Abusing Ordained Champion?  (Read 4602 times)

duncandun

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Abusing Ordained Champion?
« on: May 23, 2010, 02:06:41 PM »
Hey, I'm not sure if this has been put forward before, but I noticed something.

Ordained Champion gives all the spells on the War Domains spell list, to your class spell list if you do not have any cleric levels.

Could this be abused by arcane casters? It's very vague(which is a good thing in this case), so I would like to think it would work.

So the only thing you have to do in order to get Divine Power on a wizard, is somehow get Magic Weapon as a divine spell(to meet entry reqs).

Any ideas?

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: Abusing Ordained Champion?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »
Arcane Disciple (war) would be easier.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

duncandun

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 03:58:53 PM »
Arcane Disciple (war) would be easier.

True, but you would get all the other war domain spells on your spell list, so you could prepare them more than once than with a domain spell. you'd also get good for/will, +1 bab, d8 hit dice, decent stuff for a gish, and if you arent a gish i guess you an be now?

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 04:15:46 PM »
You need to be able to cast magic weapon as a divine spell. So you could use the always questionable Southern Magician/Alternate spell source feats or take a dip in a divine class that has magic weapon on its spell list that is not a cleric. The ones that pop to mind are Favoured Soul and maybe Shugenja, in and of themselves I don't think adding a one level dip would add much to an arcane gish.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:34:45 AM »
Not to mention you'd be using your primary stat, not the wisdom required for Arcane Disciple.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »
Interesting.  This actually might work out quite well for a build I've been contemplating lately.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:02:25 PM »
Thinking about it, getting Southern Magician is the way to go. That lets you do Wizard4/Ordained Champion, it's tempting to dip Cleric for extra feats by trading in domain abilities but if you do then your Wizard won't get those War domain spells. With Southern Magician you're free to later dip Sacred Exorcist then you can pick up DMM and add it to your Wizard spells, so there is some synergy there.

If I was going to propose a build it would be:

Fighter 1/Wizard 4/Ordained Champion 1/Spellsword 1/Sacred Exorcist 1/Abjurant Champion 5/ Whatever 7

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 02:48:52 PM »
Heh, Southern Magician was exactly the way I was pondering entering the class.  Glad to see someone agrees with me!

Might be interesting to pair it with Beguiler or War Mage, so you can cast those spells as much as you want.

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 04:46:27 PM »
Might be interesting to pair it with Beguiler or War Mage, so you can cast those spells as much as you want.

If a Wizard did it you could prepare those domain spells as often as you want. But it would be a great thing to do with a Beguiler or a War Mage because it expands their spell list. Every War Mage I've seen played went gish so this is great synergy. You could also do the same thing with Contemplative if you wanted another domain, depending on your build this could be worth it.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 04:54:15 PM »
War Mage / Ordained Champion + Arcane Strike could actually be a decent gish, and you'd have good CHA synergy for the smiting.  Use Eclectic Learning from PHB II of course to supplement as needed.  Hmm...

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 05:05:17 PM »
With Channel Spell, a Spell-storing weapon and Smiting spell metamagic, you could basically get 4 actions in one attack (the attack and three spells) every battle. Basically your "Finishing Move".
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 06:48:17 PM »
With Channel Spell, a Spell-storing weapon and Smiting spell metamagic, you could basically get 4 actions in one attack (the attack and three spells) every battle. Basically your "Finishing Move".
Yeah, though Smiting Spell has that annoying 1 minute limitation doesn't it?  Makes it a whole lot less useful, imo.  I know that they don't want you loading up on them, but 1 minute means you need to know you're getting into a fight right then.  An hour would have been much more sensible.