Author Topic: How would one make this homebrew item?  (Read 1097 times)

weenog

• Grape ape
How would one make this homebrew item?
« on: May 22, 2010, 05:25:56 PM »
  • Amulet slot
  • Only functions for characters with dragon shaman levels
  • Increases draconic aura bonus by 1
  • Grants an enhancement bonus to natural armor equal to draconic aura bonus
  • Increases breath weapon damage by 2d6, for the dragon shaman class granted breath weapon only

I'm shaky on custom magic item creation, especially adding/modifying class features with them.  I'd like to know what an appropriate market price for this item is, and some idea as to creation requirements.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Jelvoden

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: How would one make this homebrew item?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 07:04:26 PM »
In Complete Arcane there is an item called the "Warlock's Scepter," which provides a boost to eldritch blast based on the number of charges you burn. It requires Bestow Curse to craft. Bestow Curse is 4th level on the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list, so a Dragon Shaman (or a Dragonfire Adept) equivalent should be based around that.

Fittingly enough, Dragon Magic has a 4th level spell called "Curse of the Elemental Lords," which fits both in power level and flavor.

The Warlock's Scepter is caster level 10th and is also a +2 light mace, with a market price of 28000gp.

If we make a spell trigger item (50 charges) at level 10 with Curse of the elemental lords, then apply a 30% discount for being usable by only one class, the market price comes out to be 21000gp. Looks about right.

For the record, burning one charge adds 1d6, 2 charges equal 2d6, 3 charges 3d6 and 5 charges make 4d6. You can't use more than 5 charges at once.

If I come up with more, I'll edit this post.

Edit: Auras increase every five levels, which would boost spellcasting up by two spell levels on a casting class. This part is a little shaky, but I would say the aura boost would be priced similarly to a lesser metamagic rod: empower. 9000gp base, single class discount 6300gp.

As for the natural armor, it's probably easiest to just tack on a natural armor enhancement covered with the single class limitation again (+2 would be 5600gp post-discount).

Having all of this together on one item should invoke the "multiple different powers" price increase, which will nail you with a 50% total price increase. You'll certainly need to check with the DM for an item as convoluted as this.

Total: 49350gp market price, Craft Wondrous item, Sorcerer CL10, Curse of the Elemental Lords

...or something like that. Anyone else have anything to add?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:37:14 PM by Jelvoden »
"Okay, got your character sheets all filled out? Good. Now each of you pass your sheets to the person to your left, who will be playing whatever you rolled. Good luck." - Anonymous

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Thanks.  I received that item as a quest reward recently from a DM that never bothers to figure prices and creation requirements for his homebrewed stuff, but the character is getting ready to retire.  I'd like to have a good idea of how to duplicate it later for possible use with a different character.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 01:44:48 AM »
I think a greater chasuble of fell power would be a closer match than a warlock's scepter.  It's from the same book and adds +2d6 damage to eldritch blasts without expending charges.  It costs 18,000 gp. 

A vest of legends improves the bonuses of a bard's bardic music ability as though he is 5 levels higher.  That is fairly similar to increasing draconic aura bonuses by 1.  The vest costs 16,000 gp, but also provides +5 to diplomacy and perform.  A +5 competence bonus to a skill is worth 2,500 gp.  Since the bonus applies to 2 skills and there is a price multiplier, the skill bonus would account for 7,500 gp of the price.  So this ability would cost around 8,500 gp. 

Both these items already have the single class discount figured in, conveniently. 

Also, the 1.5 cost multiplier is not applied to the most expensive component.