Author Topic: Cleric/Ordained Champion/Bone Knight  (Read 6563 times)

xeno121

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Cleric/Ordained Champion/Bone Knight
« on: May 22, 2010, 12:23:27 PM »
I'm trying to build this character and I'm hitting a few walls.  I've read K's Necromancy guide and the cleric handbook so I got the basics down but I'm confused what feats are most useful first level in actual play, heavily optimized game.

2flaws/traits, all books, stats: 18,18,17,16,13,12

I'm thinking Deathbound Domain, War without a deity for greatsword proficiency/focus, we're in a custom game world so the gods will be removed for ordained champion. 

My main issue with this is I'll be 3 levels behind in my spellcasting because I need a way to gain Ride as a class skill to level it and Ordained Champion gives that but I take the hits to my CL early on in my career.

I want to focus on melee, spells, and undead, maybe throw leadership in their for a Wizard cohort.
What spells are most of use at 1st level for a combat cleric?

Human Cleric
lv1:?????
Flaw:extend spell
Flaw:Persist?
Human Bonus: DMM:Persist?
lv3:extra turning
lv6:leadership
lv9:Holy Warrior
lv12: Practiced Spell caster
lv15????
lv18????
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:06:37 PM by xeno121 »
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Cleric/Ordained Champion/Bone Knight
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 12:39:39 PM »
If you do not want to lose so many caster levels you might want to only go with 3 levels of ordained champion, that gives you most of the good stuff and you will still end up being a nigh invincible melee character. One issue with that build is that you will have a lot of uses for your rebuke undead attempts, so make sure to stock up on night sticks later on. At first level find a good persistent buff spell and wade into melee, you will easily keep up with any melee combatants at that level with something as simple as divine favor.

xeno121

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 12:56:23 PM »
Cleric lacks BAB at1st level so I can't take Power Attack, would extra turning be better then? so I can rebuke even after persisting. 

I'm trying to build a sort of Arthas "Lich King" type character, I'm thinking of waiting until I can craft bonecraft weapons through bone knight and then making it a weapon of legacy.

Corpsecrafter would also be an option
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:06:50 PM by xeno121 »
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 01:47:17 PM »
Cleric lacks BAB at1st level so I can't take Power Attack, would extra turning be better then? so I can rebuke even after persisting. 

I'm trying to build a sort of Arthas "Lich King" type character, I'm thinking of waiting until I can craft bonecraft weapons through bone knight and then making it a weapon of legacy.

Corpsecrafter would also be an option

The corpsecrafter line of feats would be a good investment if you are serious about going the undead army route. You will end up with 3 different undead control pools by the end of your characters build, from rebuke undead, created undead and the dead walk. Also you get command undead from the death bound domain, so you have plenty of army at your command.

xeno121

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 02:52:49 PM »
For my Extra Domain instead of War for Ordained Champion, I was thinking of looking through how the campaign goes and then grabbing the one that allows Rebuking elemental enemies.  It synergizes with DMM and Extra Turning extremely well.

The DM is against me having an Undead Horde, so I was thinking of having undead controlling a secondary focus.  Now, should I replace the Undeath domain that doubles my ability to create undead with something like say Fire Domain for the additional turning as a better option to allow me to persist 2 spells?

ShneekeyTheLost

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 03:06:31 PM »
Things like elemental turning do not work for persistent spells the feats explicitly call for undead turning/rebuking, although class variants that explicitly say they can power divine feats would work.

And if he is against an undead horde you could just use your free undead from bone knight as your personal staff to take care of your home, your affairs and carry your stuff.They are intelligent and free and it is nice to have your own little non combat entourage. Although they could fight if they need to by the higher levels they will be hopelessly outmatched.

xeno121

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 03:37:38 PM »
I'm considering switching out the undeath domain, what should I use instead for a melee/spell oriented gish, I looked at spell domain and it's made of god and win, anyspell is insane, wraithstrike opens up along with a bunch of other godly options.

ShneekeyTheLost

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 04:05:49 PM »
Persistent wraith strike will make your DM hate you though, so be careful.

xeno121

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 04:10:31 PM »
Persistent wraith strike will make your DM hate you though, so be careful.

Perhaps, I'm considering Undeath domain for the Extra Turning as a bonus feat instead of deathbound to help power my DMM, Spell domain isn't great until Anyspell kicks in, and I could place that off until 6-9th level when I go ordained Champion, or do you believe there's a more beneficial Domain to take for adventuring?

ShneekeyTheLost

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 04:38:38 AM »
I'd always liked Destiny (RoD), and Time is rather good, while Planning would give you Extend Spell.

What I'd suggest for you, though, is WRATH!
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 12:52:04 PM »
Cloistered Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 3/Boneknight 2/Prestige Paladin 1/Boneknight +8

This would net you only two lost cleric caster levels. You wont be using any armour before level 10 though, so it's not a fighter at low-levels. It would give you knowledge devotion for free though, which is huge, and more skill points.
It would also give you the paladin spells, which is quite neat.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

duncandun

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 02:04:14 PM »
Why not take Undeath, War, and planning? With my BK I went Cloistered cleric 5/OD3/BK10/Contemplative1/??

Grab Travel devotion with your contemplative level, getting it as early as possible.