Author Topic: Init math and matchups OR helping you find the desired init advantage.  (Read 17569 times)

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Init math and matchups OR helping you find the desired init advantage.
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 04:16:04 AM »
Really?  My group's always gone with highest dex, not initiative.  I wonder if it's a 2nd ed holdover or one of my long-forgotten house rules...

That's how my group ran it for awhile, too. I don't where it comes from, either.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 07:49:47 AM »
Note that Factotums get Int to initiative at level 3.

I suppose one could get silly and make a build like Factotum 4/OA Samurai 2/Fighter 1/Iajuitsu Master 5/Exemplar 8.  That would give you Charisma to initiative once and Int to initiative twice, plus nice Iajuitsu abilities.

JaronK

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 07:55:49 AM »

I suppose one could get silly and make a build like Factotum 4/OA Samurai 2/Fighter 1/Iajuitsu Master 5/Exemplar 8.  That would give you Charisma to initiative once and Int to initiative twice, plus nice Iajuitsu abilities.

JaronK
What's the exemplar for?
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 08:00:42 AM »
Int to initiative at level 8, +4 to Iajuitsu Focus, take 10 on all iajuitsu focus checks, iajuitsu focus as a diplomacy check, lend talent to give your entire party iajuitsu focus damage if you want.

Mostly it's just to play with the concept of applying lots of stats to initiative, but it works relatively well as a skillmonkey striker build that focuses on Int, Dex, and Cha.  That should be very nice for playing with some of the power skills like Diplomacy, UMD, and Iajuitsu Focus.

JaronK

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 08:05:25 AM »
Int to initiative at level 8, +4 to Iajuitsu Focus, take 10 on all iajuitsu focus checks, iajuitsu focus as a diplomacy check, lend talent to give your entire party iajuitsu focus damage if you want.

Mostly it's just to play with the concept of applying lots of stats to initiative, but it works relatively well as a skillmonkey striker build that focuses on Int, Dex, and Cha.  That should be very nice for playing with some of the power skills like Diplomacy, UMD, and Iajuitsu Focus.

JaronK
Wow.  That class has ten levels.  The build is unplayable, but I hadn't noticed that exemplar actually had a decent ability in it.  Neat.

tusk

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • This is Petrucci!
    • Care to spare a click?  ;)
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 10:52:35 AM »
1 level dip of cleric net you the time domain (Spc), that grant improved init as domain power, plus some good spells. Thought would be good for Mr. Blink ;)

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »
The agressive trait from Unearthed Arcana/SRD gives you +2 initative at a cost of -1 AC, one of the best trade-offs in the game and making it probably the best trait besides spellgifted.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 08:06:05 PM »
Wow.  That class has ten levels.  The build is unplayable, but I hadn't noticed that exemplar actually had a decent ability in it.  Neat.

Unplayable?  It's a great skillmonkey (take 10 on tons of skills, Cunning Knowledge) that adds 9d6+9*Cha damage to all attacks against flatfooted opponents (assuming the old Quickrazor bit).  That's pretty darn impressive damage right there, so it's both a great skillmonkey and a great striker.

JaronK

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 08:13:30 PM »

Unplayable?  It's a great skillmonkey (take 10 on tons of skills, Cunning Knowledge) that adds 9d6+9*Cha damage to all attacks against flatfooted opponents (assuming the old Quickrazor bit).  That's pretty darn impressive damage right there, so it's both a great skillmonkey and a great striker.

JaronK
Skillmonkey isn't a party role and IF isn't all that impressive.  The exemplar levels are dead weight.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 08:47:26 PM »
Wait a minute... you've been going off in the past about how Rogue damage is good.  Now you see a build that blows away Rogue damage with IF damage (9d6+9*Cha beats the snot out of 10d6, and this build can do it far earlier) and you claim IF is unimpressive?  Not to mention there are a number of party roles that can be filled by skillmonkeys (scout, face, etc).

JaronK

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 08:52:56 PM »
Wait a minute... you've been going off in the past about how Rogue damage is good.  Now you see a build that blows away Rogue damage with IF damage (9d6+9*Cha beats the snot out of 10d6, and this build can do it far earlier) and you claim IF is unimpressive?  Not to mention there are a number of party roles that can be filled by skillmonkeys (scout, face, etc).

JaronK
And how is any of this contingent on the exemplar levels?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »
It's not.  But you said the build was unplayable and that IF damage was unimpressive, not that Exemplar gave too little.

Exemplar is making you a better skill monkey (ability to take ten on 9+Int mod skills, a bunch of +4 competance bonuses to skills, diplomacer abilities) and giving better initiative (the point of this thread).  It also lets you give up to +8 to Iajuitsu Focus to your entire party, which is enough to give the rest of the party extra damage if you know what you're doing.  Further, the ability to give your entire party at least basically reasonable hide and move silently scores is quite useful.

JaronK

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 09:31:23 PM »
It's not.  But you said the build was unplayable and that IF damage was unimpressive, not that Exemplar gave too little.

Exemplar is making you a better skill monkey (ability to take ten on 9+Int mod skills, a bunch of +4 competance bonuses to skills, diplomacer abilities) and giving better initiative (the point of this thread).  It also lets you give up to +8 to Iajuitsu Focus to your entire party, which is enough to give the rest of the party extra damage if you know what you're doing.  Further, the ability to give your entire party at least basically reasonable hide and move silently scores is quite useful.

JaronK
Go back and read what I wrote.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 09:38:55 PM »
Skillmonkey isn't a party role and IF isn't all that impressive.  The exemplar levels are dead weight.

Yes, you wrote this.  You wrote that IF isn't all that impressive.  That is false.  Whether or not Exemplar is dead weight is a different issue (but it's really not, if nothing else Lend Talent with IF is pretty cool, and the ability to take 10 on IF checks means you don't need to pump  the skill quite as high).

You also wrote:  "The build is unplayable"

It's clearly not.

JaronK

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 03:15:50 AM »

JaronK

I'd play it.

(Though I'd probably get rid of the exemplar levels and go Chameleon instead...or, to continue the init optimization, be an elf and take 3 levels of wizard)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 04:09:16 AM »
Or you could drop Exemplar for a Marshal dip for Charisma to Initiative with just one level, and throw in more Factotum levels for the eventual Cunning Surge.  Make the most out of that first strike.

I just like the idea of being able to give everyone else Iajuitsu Focus!

JaronK

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 11:51:06 AM »
Don't turn my guide thread into more fucking Fail shit or I'll kick all your asses at once with the same foot. :fo
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Zarothar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 07:07:03 PM »
Alright, forgive a CharOP newbie here, but shouldn't the ties be part of the win column for everything over +0?

Let me try and reason this out:

Premise 1. This is about relative modifiers - so, automatically, if you have +1 or greater on this table, you've got the higher initiative modifier.
Premise 2. SRD: "If two or more combatants have the same initiative check result, the combatants who are tied act in order of total initiative modifier (highest first). If there is still a tie, the tied characters should roll again to determine which one of them goes before the other."

By Premise 1, +1 or greater on the table means you have the highest initiative modifier.
By Premise 2, the higher initiative modifier wins in the case of a tie.
By Premises 1+2, +1 or greater on the table means you win in the case of a tie.

So, wouldn't the table look like:

+0: 47.5% win, 5% tie, 47.5% loss.
+1: 57.25% win, 42.75% loss.
+2: 61.75% win, 38.25% loss.
+3: 66% win, 34% loss.
+4: 70% win, 30% loss.
+5: 73.75% win, 26.25% loss.
+6: 77.25% win, 22.75% loss.
+7: 80.5% win, 19.5% loss.
+8: 83.5% win, 16.5% loss.
+9: 86.25% win, 13.75% loss.
+10: 88.75% win, 11.25% loss.
+11: 91% win, 9% loss.
+12: 93% win, 7% loss.
+13: 94.75% win, 5.25% loss.
+14: 96.25% win, 3.75% loss.
+15: 97.5% win, 2.5% loss.
+16: 98.5% win, 1.5% loss.
+17: 99.25% win, 0.75% loss.
+18: 99.75% win, 0.25% loss.
+19 or higher: 100% win, 0% loss.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 07:29:43 PM »
I wasn't sure how ties worked at the time of writing and couldn't find the rule for that, so I counted it separately so as to avoid assuming wrong and making an ass out of you and me.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 07:33:33 PM »
Zarothar: You can extend the +0 case to a straight 50% either way since the reroll uses the same relative modifier yielding a fair shot.