Author Topic: STR 6 and carrying rules ... help :o  (Read 2629 times)

Torvon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
STR 6 and carrying rules ... help :o
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:33:02 PM »
Heyho, we just started @ 7th level, with just a couple of coins for magic equipment, and few starting gold. Was enough for boots of agile leaping, a hat of disguise, ring of 4winds, and a cloak of resistance.

I'm playing a whispergnome rogue/swordsage with STR6. Now, the group is playing with carrying rules, giving me a bit of a hard time, especially since the character is a harper "secret agent" kind of guy, with shitloads of tools.

We play in undermountain, lots of climbing and dungeoneering, lots of undeads. So my first idea of taking some kind of carrying mount with me doesn't look too promising.

Do you have any other cheap ideas? Can't afford +2 STR gauntlets, and well, they won't help much anyway :o.

Thanks for input!

ta-ta
Torvon
Quote from: Saxony
Sword Sage is like Arcane Stunt Swashbuckler on steroids with less BAB.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: STR 6 and carrying rules ... help :o
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 06:52:50 PM »
Can you manage to heft a Handy Haversack after adjusting the weight for your size?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Torvon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 07:02:26 PM »
As halfling, stuff only weighs half for me, as far as I know the rules, but I can only carry 15lb. as light load.

Even when so filled, the backpack always weighs only 5 pounds.  
So, that sounds ok. My weapons weigh around 8 pounds. So it might work! :o

Any other ideas in case my DM says "no sir!" ?

ta-ta
T.

EDIT: I just saw that it's rather cheap, but CL9, and my DM doesn't allow items with CL9 @ level 7.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 07:12:54 PM »
Portable Holes are extremely light.  So are Enveloping Pits.  Both are good for this sort of thing.  Also, considering a medium sized mount that can climb or fly, such as a Desmoderu Hunting Bat (MMII) or Dire Bat.

JaronK

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 07:16:07 PM »
Medium Monstrous Spider?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:34:36 PM »
Hey I'm wondering how much noise the !@$#-load of tools and these various approaches make?

As in: what is the Listen DC for monsters, to figure out the tricky gnome is sneaking by?

It's easy enough to have a Silenced Bag of Holding (or similar). But it costs more / available later.

Torvon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 07:37:32 PM »
Everytime I see a combat coming, I DROP the freaking backpack, obviously :o.

Most of the suggestion here are not viable, 20.000GP @ 7th level ... we have 100GP atm.
And regarding the animals ... as I said, don't think it'll work. I can't handle animals well. I don't have a lot of money. And we are facing a lot of undead creatues. I don't want some freaking animal to run away with my stuff next time we face a opponent.

Keep the suggestions coming :o. THanks!

ta-ta
T.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 07:38:12 PM »
^^
If the equipment are in a bag of holding, portable hole or handy haversack, they don't make any noise, what with being in another dimension entirely.

Maybe you could try a ZOMBIE Medium Monstrous Spider?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Torvon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 07:39:23 PM »
Maybe you could try a ZOMBIE Medium Monstrous Spider?

/target veekie
/slap

:eh

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 07:43:08 PM »

If the equipment are in a bag of holding, portable hole or handy haversack, they don't make any noise, what with being in another dimension entirely.

Duh - me ... (points finger at self)

Knowledge Far Realms check: Maybe it makes the noise, on the other dimension, and monty or terminator (or pun-pun) hear it?
Right?
I mean technically that's gotta be right, right?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 07:46:17 PM »
Hey, it wouldn't run away, can climb and since it isn't sentient, making use of it's animated corpse is less morally questionable! Of course, if you meet an evil cleric you'd be proverbially fucked with a large pointy stick.

The cheapest method, honestly, is to get one of your stronger party members to double as packmule, or for a wizard to blow on a Floating Disc. A Small character's equipment takes up a trivial amount of weight for anyone already clanking around in medium armor.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 07:48:06 PM »
Tooth of Savnok?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:51:57 PM »
Everytime I see a combat coming, I DROP the freaking backpack, obviously :o.

Most of the suggestion here are not viable, 20.000GP @ 7th level ... we have 100GP atm.

Actually it's 2kgp, not 20kgp.  But why on earth do you only have 100gp at level 7?

And regarding the animals ... as I said, don't think it'll work. I can't handle animals well. I don't have a lot of money. And we are facing a lot of undead creatues. I don't want some freaking animal to run away with my stuff next time we face a opponent.

Animals are cheap as dirt and it's a DC 5 ride check to attack when they do.  Also, "attack unusual" is a trick they can be trained in so they don't freak out about undead.

JaronK

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 04:50:36 PM »
The Natural Heavyweight feat from Planar Handbook doubles your carrying capacity.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Torvon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 04:52:36 PM »
The Natural Heavyweight feat from Planar Handbook doubles your carrying capacity.
Awesome :p

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 05:20:51 PM »
+1 for Living monsterous spider.

might be able to get one trained for riding and attacking.

extra legs increases carrying capacity

great w/ climbing..

next level up fix your handle animal skill.. dont forget the riding crop for + tool bonus..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 09:04:11 PM »

As always, don't burn the feat if you can't afford it in your build. It's still a waste of a feat if you can, but sometimes you need to.

Animal Devotion in Complete Champion, along with a dip into Cleric, can boost your Str by up to 8 points for 1 minute/day/turn undead attempt you spend. Can be obtained for free, and sets you up for a modified Ruby Knight Vindicator. Even a 2 level dip into the PrC is helpful for a stealthy character.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 10:50:41 PM »
Retrain your feats and get Vow of Poverty so you don't have this problem of carrying around all these material items.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 08:37:54 PM »
Awesome :p

wait wait wait wait wait

Does the hulking hurler know about this? Now I can stop throwing only planets and start throwing Black Holes.