Author Topic: Post a simple concept, get a simple build  (Read 114470 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Post a simple concept, get a simple build
« Reply #540 on: August 07, 2011, 05:21:25 AM »
Since Elan were originally humans, could you take the Human Heritage feat with one?
IIRC yes.
You certainly could, but toughness+troll blooded + human heritage is going to eat up all your starting feats.  I think the shade race/template thing from forgotten realms would work, but that's LA+3 and has baggage.  Lesser planetouched might or might not count as sufficiently human to not need human heritage (or the human heritage variant may be in play).  Oldschool Illumians are crazy powerful, but not really good flavorwise.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #541 on: August 07, 2011, 06:35:31 AM »
Well, Troll-Blooded is a stupid good feat, especially on an Elan.  Add in some Psionic class and you've got Regeneration against everything not Fire and Acid and a racial ability that blocks Fire and Acid damage as an immediate action.

glassgnawer

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #542 on: August 07, 2011, 08:54:25 AM »
I see, that should work. Thanks  :D
"Power is not a means, it is an end. (...) The object of power is power." - G. Orwell

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #543 on: August 07, 2011, 09:09:49 PM »
Well, Troll-Blooded is a stupid good feat, especially on an Elan.  Add in some Psionic class and you've got Regeneration against everything not Fire and Acid and a racial ability that blocks Fire and Acid damage as an immediate action.
I prefer becoming a saint to become immune to acid. As for immunity to fire... I know there's some easy way to get that. Best I can think of is the Blazing Berserker feat which gives you the [Fire] subtype while raging, or have someone cast the 8th level spell mantle of the fiery spirit on you.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #544 on: August 08, 2011, 02:49:16 AM »
I prefer becoming a saint to become immune to acid. As for immunity to fire... I know there's some easy way to get that. Best I can think of is the Blazing Berserker feat which gives you the [Fire] subtype while raging, or have someone cast the 8th level spell mantle of the fiery spirit on you.
True, but Troll-Blooded Elans have no LA, no code of conduct, and can be pretty much any kind of character.

brujon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #545 on: August 08, 2011, 03:32:58 AM »

I often see cited that if a creature has regeneration, pierced by X and/or Y, if you get immunity to either X or Y, then you take lethal damage and regeneration instead starts working like Fast Healing. Where is this located?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #546 on: August 08, 2011, 03:46:19 AM »

I often see cited that if a creature has regeneration, pierced by X and/or Y, if you get immunity to either X or Y, then you take lethal damage and regeneration instead starts working like Fast Healing. Where is this located?
If you lose your Con score, then Regen changes to Fast Healing.  This is because creatures without Con scores become immune to nonlethal damage by virtue of their typing.

braininthejar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #547 on: August 08, 2011, 11:00:52 AM »
Tyrion Lannister?

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #548 on: August 08, 2011, 12:49:25 PM »
Tyrion Lannister?
People here then to like links or a basic description.
A halfling Aristocrat seems close enough, unless I'm missing something.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

braininthejar

« Reply #549 on: August 08, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »
ah, I thought everyone knew him, since he is in fashion now.

I guess, I got what I asked for... a simple build. :lol

braininthejar

« Reply #550 on: August 20, 2011, 05:56:18 PM »
So, by this logic Arya would simply be a rogue?

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #551 on: August 20, 2011, 06:13:08 PM »
So, by this logic Arya would simply be a rogue?
Rouge, Possibly with aristocrat and/or Assassin. Not sure how to do the skinchanger thing (maybe variant chaining, If it would work), but wild Cohort would cover Nymeria.
Quotes [spoiler]
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Mister Lamp

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu Fhtagn
« Reply #552 on: August 21, 2011, 01:09:46 AM »
I have to ask, Ryuk from Deathnote? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryuk_(Death_Note) aargh... i don't think it will accept the ) as part of the link, i suck at this.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 01:13:09 AM by Mister Lamp »
That was somewhat misleading on my part. Think of it as self-confidence, self-image, the ego, and other such things, not people skills. Someone with a low Charisma who goes insane is probably suffering crippling self-doubt or has a skewed perception of him/herself (or, given the power of the entities in the Cthulhu mythos, an accurate perception of his or her place in the universe).

rot42

« Reply #553 on: August 21, 2011, 02:47:52 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryuk_(Death_Note) (press the "quote" button to see what I did there. The url tag button is on the second row, next to email and under underline)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #554 on: August 21, 2011, 08:35:50 PM »
Some sort of Dark- or Shadow-templated Outsider with a high-level artifact.  Or maybe levels in Archivist?

Ryuk doesn't really... DO anything.

braininthejar

« Reply #555 on: August 24, 2011, 11:21:53 PM »
The ability to extend your lifespan by stealing other people's destiny is rather unique... perhaps planescape has something that could be used here. I remember there was a sect there focused on extending one's life through dubious means.

Also, do you think a person killed by deathnote can be ressurected or will "maximum lifespan" clause come into effect?

Rouge, Possibly with aristocrat and/or Assassin. Not sure how to do the skinchanger thing (maybe variant chaining, If it would work), but wild Cohort would cover Nymeria.

Instead of Aristocrat, a Noble (PC class from dragonlance setting) could be used. But Arya didn't show any skills connected to those. Also, having Nymeria is a symptom of being an untrained skinchanger - at one point Arya managed to compensate for temporary blindness by borrowing sight from a nearby cat. Any way of doing it without having to take an entire class for it?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:25:25 PM by braininthejar »

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #556 on: August 24, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »
Also, do you think a person killed by deathnote can be ressurected or will "maximum lifespan" clause come into effect?
There name is still wrritten in the death note, so they'll just die again in 6 minutes and 40 seconds.

Also, having Nymeria is a symptom of being an untrained skinchanger - at one point Arya managed to compensate for temporary blindness by borrowing sight from a nearby cat. Any way of doing it without having to take an entire class for it?
Not that I know off.
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #557 on: August 25, 2011, 12:31:27 AM »

I'm pretty sure that if you are killed by a death note then your time is up.  :D

mthor

• Email
« Reply #558 on: August 25, 2011, 01:02:49 AM »
Paul 'Mua'dib' Atreides
Binder levels for Niberius or Primus and Astaroth and either KotSS and other melee vistiges or warblade levels.
The god of thunder....... yeah I'm the hammer

Just ask yourself..... W.W.T.D  what would Thor do
mthor, look what you did. You made people on the internet argue. We all hate you with a fiery passion, now. :P

Mister Lamp

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu Fhtagn
« Reply #559 on: August 25, 2011, 03:19:22 PM »

I can see 3 results here:

1: it doesn't work, b/c the Deathnote overwrites the normal mazimum lifespan

2: it works, but they die again in 6 minutes 40 seconds

3: it works, and the shinigami loses the lifespan he gained from the kill.
That was somewhat misleading on my part. Think of it as self-confidence, self-image, the ego, and other such things, not people skills. Someone with a low Charisma who goes insane is probably suffering crippling self-doubt or has a skewed perception of him/herself (or, given the power of the entities in the Cthulhu mythos, an accurate perception of his or her place in the universe).