Author Topic: Post a simple concept, get a simple build  (Read 114249 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Post a simple concept, get a simple build
« Reply #480 on: April 13, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »
Apply the Invisible Spell metamagic before applying the Template.
For?
Having a justification for making it invisible.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #481 on: April 13, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »
Apply the Invisible Spell metamagic before applying the Template.
For?
Having a justification for making it invisible.
Well the antimagic field version says that it's the exception to the rule, and that it makes the creature invisible.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #482 on: April 16, 2011, 10:45:14 AM »
A crusader "you're not going anywhere" build. I know Thicket of Blades and Stand Still would be involved, but that's about it.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #483 on: April 17, 2011, 09:19:44 PM »
warshaper + lasher + healer = rapunzel from the recent tangled movie. maybe add in some ability to embue a weapon with a spell, so that the hair can be used as both a whip and as an implement of healing by the mechanical rules.

while perhaps a bit of a technicality since it is not stated in description of prestige, but i think a warshaper should be able to grow and/or reduce hair length at will. most forms of shifting allow some control over it, iirc.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

braininthejar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #484 on: May 20, 2011, 02:51:12 PM »
I need a build for a not-yet-lich Walker In The Waste, capable of one-shotting a 60+ HP half dragon by using desert-themed magic.

I only need him for this one cutscene. The guy isn't actively hostile but he takes offense at people claiming to "rule" the desert. So the party (fleeing from a half-dragon tribe way beyond their EL) has to pass through his "territory" to lose the pursuit ( the adventure consists of beating the other challenges that might slow them along the way)

I know some of you are very good at mitigating metamagic costs- that is probably what I am looking for.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #485 on: May 20, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »
Shivering Touch will one shot any dragon, especially if Maximized and combined with Spectral Hand (possibly also Celerity to do it in one round).  It's from Frostburn... but deserts are hot during the day and cold at night, so it pretty much works.

JaronK

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #486 on: May 21, 2011, 07:50:21 AM »
Shivering Touch will one shot any dragon, especially if Maximized and combined with Spectral Hand (possibly also Celerity to do it in one round).  It's from Frostburn... but deserts are hot during the day and cold at night, so it pretty much works.

JaronK

just remember not to use it on white or silver dragons...

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #487 on: May 21, 2011, 05:32:47 PM »
There's lots of ways for a full caster to oneshot a 60 hp mook.

The easiest ones are metamagic'd damage or ability damage, or a high-DC save or die/suck.

To be honest, the easiest way to do it is just to write your own spell and have it do something awesome, like spawn a bunch of Stony Grasp like arms of sand and pull him screaming under the sand (have the walker of the waste have metamagic cost reducers, use metamagic to increase the DC, and burn one of his top slots so the half-dragon is unlikely to save - and have that be the surprise round... alternatively, have a bunch of Sand Golems just rise up and fucking eat the guy.. walkers in the waste get cool mooks for a reason)... otherwise get a sand spell like sand blast or something, and go and look up the 'Mailman Sorcerer'.  Use the damage increasers and cost reducers to turn your sand spell into like 100 damage or something.

Or if you want a more divine wrath of the noonday sun kind of thing, very little beats a Empowered Maximised Fiery Scorching Fireball for getting your players' attention.  Not as good as a Orb Of Flame, but beggars choosers etc.

braininthejar

« Reply #488 on: May 21, 2011, 06:27:42 PM »
Oh, the first thing I thought about was maximising horrid wilting but pulling the guy underground seems pretty cool. I saw sand golems but didn't know they could swim in sand.

M1911

• Noob
« Reply #489 on: June 11, 2011, 07:41:41 PM »
Neutral Good Human Cleric of a War/Pride/Strength God. DM is making up his world on the fly, so as long as it fits with that general theme, domains could be added. Deity's favored weapon is Bastard Sword. Cleric would ideally hit things very hard. DMM Persist is considered fine and the DM has even granted Extend Spell as a Bonus Feat. Was thinking Cleric/Ordained Champion, but am unsure.

Andras

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #490 on: June 13, 2011, 02:46:26 AM »
Hey folks, can I get some ideas for a fire breathing Kobold Druid?

Currently thinking of Dragon-born (Heart) so I get a d4 round recharge BW, then pick up the Metabreath feat Clinging Breath, I can choose almost any duration for CB, so at low levels he breathes on something, then runs away until it dies 20 rounds later.

Dragonborn also cancels out the non-str ability adjustments.

I'm also planning on lizard/reptile/dinosaur themed animal companions ie Riding 'lizard' (dog), Deinonychus, Mega Raptor (dungeonbred if possible), etc.

planned feats for now
1)Meta-breath
3)Natural Bond
6)Natural Spell
9)+ need ideas

Are there anyways to get bonus feats for a Druid?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #491 on: June 13, 2011, 02:55:46 AM »
No it doesn't. You still have -4 Str. It just cancels out your -2 Con. You also lose everything else though.

Andras

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #492 on: June 13, 2011, 03:41:50 AM »
No it doesn't. You still have -4 Str. It just cancels out your -2 Con. You also lose everything else though.

It also cancels the +2 to dex.

K: -4s; +2d; -2c
Db: -2d; +2c

Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Racial Skills: A kobold character has a +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), and Search checks.
Racial Feats: A kobold character gains feats according to its character class.
+1 natural armor bonus.
Special Qualities (see above): Light sensitivity.

Automatic Languages: Draconic. Bonus Languages: Common, Undercommon.
Favored Class: Sorcerer.
Level adjustment +0.

So I trade the NA bonus for losing Light Sensitivity, but I also lose Darkvision and a minor skill bonus that asa druid I'm not planning on using. He does gain [dragonblood] and the BW.

I can live with not having darkvision.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #493 on: June 13, 2011, 04:18:40 PM »
Aren't kobolds [Dragonblood] anyway? think its added in races of the dragon

feral_child

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #494 on: June 26, 2011, 08:09:09 PM »
[3.5]

concept:

rogue equipped with many daggers who can effectively melee and throw them, preferably while abusing Sneak Attack and avoiding damage.

braininthejar

« Reply #495 on: June 27, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »
Back to silly requests.

How about this?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

It is simple but it doesn't make it easy. We need ridiculous flying speed, an ability to survive an occassional crash, and some weird weather-related special abilities. (such as physically moving clouds or stomping them to make rain/thunder)

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #496 on: June 27, 2011, 04:03:52 PM »
Back to silly requests.

How about this?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

It is simple but it doesn't make it easy. We need ridiculous flying speed, an ability to survive an occassional crash, and some weird weather-related special abilities. (such as physically moving clouds or stomping them to make rain/thunder)
Awakened Winged Horse with Access to control weather (and other weather spells) and prestidigitation (for the colors)?
Has 2 LA and 5 HD, 80 ft. move speed, and can still get 7th level spells.
Crash survival can be done with the indominability spell (if would be reduced below 1 hp, is instead reduced to 1)
If you don't mind losing 20 ft. of speed, go pony for only 4 HD.
Glove of man allow for use of hoofs as hands.

EDIT:with Fly like an arrow from dragon 308, run, The speed doubling from rapid wrath, and maybe another boost, we can reach 6760 ft speed, which is over Mach 1. (light horse would reach 8000 ft. without anything unlisted, pony would need a source of + 10 ft. speed which I'm pretty sure items can do.)

EDIT 2: Combine with dive for 16000 ft. move going down (12000 on a pony).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:06:33 PM by jojolagger »
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #497 on: June 27, 2011, 04:05:28 PM »
Would a dragonborn horse work better?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #498 on: June 27, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »
Re-fluffed Faerie Dragon perhaps?  Advance it to medium or large size.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #499 on: June 27, 2011, 05:25:09 PM »
Would a dragonborn horse work better?
I don't think animals can become dragonborn, and Dragonborn makes the character all scaly.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]