Author Topic: Post a simple concept, get a simple build  (Read 114237 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Post a simple concept, get a simple build
« Reply #460 on: April 10, 2011, 07:18:04 AM »
Simple Concept: A necromancer of Wee Jas that uses no spells that deal direct damage and is still somewhat useful in a fight.
By "Necromancer", I presume you mean a Wizard specialized in Necromancy. If so, I fail to see the contradiction between "uses no spells that deal direct damage" and "useful in a fight". :p
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #461 on: April 11, 2011, 01:07:57 AM »
Concept: A grapple-focused sorcerer.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #462 on: April 11, 2011, 01:44:01 AM »
I think that Frank already covered this :D
(you'll just have to wait a level to get polymorph ; and I'd probably use stalwart/battle sorcerer to take me through the lower levels)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #463 on: April 11, 2011, 02:20:40 AM »
(you'll just have to wait a level to get polymorph ; and I'd probably use stalwart/battle sorcerer to take me through the lower levels)
Also misses out on the bonus metamagic at 5th level.  Sorcerer makes it trickier to survive in this style of play than Frank's build.  Also, I didn't say stalwart sorcerer or battle sorcerer.   :P
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #464 on: April 11, 2011, 03:00:35 AM »
Also misses out on the bonus metamagic at 5th level.  Sorcerer makes it trickier to survive in this style of play than Frank's build.  Also, I didn't say stalwart sorcerer or battle sorcerer.   :P
Ah, but you didn't specifically exclude it, either. :p

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #465 on: April 11, 2011, 10:51:59 AM »
Simple Concept: A necromancer of Wee Jas that uses no spells that deal direct damage and is still somewhat useful in a fight.
By "Necromancer", I presume you mean a Wizard specialized in Necromancy. If so, I fail to see the contradiction between "uses no spells that deal direct damage" and "useful in a fight". :p
Ah... I forgot the Dread in there. I mean a Dread Necromancer that is somewhat useful in a fight at level 5.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #466 on: April 11, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »
Ah... I forgot the Dread in there. I mean a Dread Necromancer that is somewhat useful in a fight at level 5.
PrC early and often.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #467 on: April 11, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »
Ray of Enfeeblement, Summon Swarm, Scare.  Next level you get Summon Undead III, which get you your first incorporeal summons AFAIK.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #468 on: April 12, 2011, 05:54:56 PM »
NPC attack/guard ooze that'll be mixing itself with the castle moat of an evil wizard. Preferably CR 20+.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #469 on: April 12, 2011, 07:14:53 PM »
NPC attack/guard ooze that'll be mixing itself with the castle moat of an evil wizard. Preferably CR 20+.
Living Spells make scary oozes.  CL 17 Energy Drain + Enervation + Ray of Exhaustion comes in at CR 20.  Toss some crocodile zombies in there with it.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #470 on: April 12, 2011, 07:16:42 PM »
Living Spells make scary oozes.  CL 17 Energy Drain + Enervation + Ray of Exhaustion comes in at CR 20.  Toss some crocodile zombies in there with it.
The problem with that is by that level almost everything will be immune to energy drain + enervation + ray of exhaustion.

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #471 on: April 12, 2011, 07:22:21 PM »
The problem with that is by that level almost everything will be immune to energy drain + enervation + ray of exhaustion.
Maw of Chaos + Wings of Flurry or something then.  It's pretty hard to be immune to Daze, that one targets two different saves, and it deals 2d6/cl damage.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #472 on: April 12, 2011, 07:31:52 PM »
No matter what, make it a Sentry Ooze (Dungeonscape) too, to give it an Int score and with it feats, skills, and tactics.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #473 on: April 12, 2011, 08:03:25 PM »
No matter what, make it a Sentry Ooze (Dungeonscape) too, to give it an Int score and with it feats, skills, and tactics.
Oh it's definitely going to have that. It's basically going to wait until someone's dumb enough to walk onto the bridge, and then try to engulf them. The only main issue is making it look like water, and no one being suspicious of it.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #474 on: April 12, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
Living wish!  A slam attack that deals 5000 xp of damage  :p
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #475 on: April 12, 2011, 08:10:05 PM »
Living wish!  A slam attack that deals 5000 xp of damage  :p
OW!! Seriously? Now that's awesome. However, wouldn't they be able to get wishes out of that deal?

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #476 on: April 12, 2011, 08:34:37 PM »
One of the WotC articles suggested a Living AMF that's naturally invisible for like an extra +2 CR.  Just make it naturally invisible in water rather than in air.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #477 on: April 12, 2011, 08:40:41 PM »
One of the WotC articles suggested a Living AMF that's naturally invisible for like an extra +2 CR.  Just make it naturally invisible in water rather than in air.
I remember seeing that. It was CR 12, as were most of them, as I recall.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #478 on: April 13, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »
Apply the Invisible Spell metamagic before applying the Template.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #479 on: April 13, 2011, 09:34:31 PM »
Apply the Invisible Spell metamagic before applying the Template.
For?