Author Topic: Post a simple concept, get a simple build  (Read 114447 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Post a simple concept, get a simple build
« Reply #280 on: December 20, 2010, 12:53:04 AM »
Not that I knowe of; there's a heat meister and snow meister, though/.

Links please
See previous Santa Claus link.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: December 20, 2010, 01:00:19 AM »
A stereotypically flamboyant gay wizard or sorcerer who is completely obsessed with rainbows and his entire thematic aspect is based on them.
Wiz3/MS10/IotSV7.
If possible and you have several feats to burn get fiery ki defense just to literally be flaming.  :lol
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: December 20, 2010, 06:21:43 AM »
Does anyone here remember the old Thief computer games? I would really like to see a build for the protagonist, Garrett. I have tried to build him many times before, but I have always failed. Making a master burglar is easy enough, but portraying his Keeper skills and his mechanical eye is beyond me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_(series)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #283 on: December 20, 2010, 07:15:16 AM »
Does anyone here remember the old Thief computer games? I would really like to see a build for the protagonist, Garrett. I have tried to build him many times before, but I have always failed. Making a master burglar is easy enough, but portraying his Keeper skills and his mechanical eye is beyond me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_(series)
Not sure about the keeper skills but for mechanical eye, try a Fleshgrafter (Lords of Madness) with construct grafts, or Renegade Mastermaker (some Eberron book, Magic of, I think).

IlPazzo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: December 20, 2010, 09:18:41 AM »
An evil archivist with DMM, and the least possible caster level loss?

braininthejar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #285 on: December 20, 2010, 09:30:41 AM »
Many pages ago, someone asked about Aizen but was left unanswered.

I think fighter 4 and then level up as wizard until epics. Use magic buffs to become a close combat monster.
The epic levels are needed to get 9 level spells despite the fighter levels (and he must have enough feats to cast quickened 9 level spells) and for the epic item creation feat. For black coffin, research arcane equivalent of implosion.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #286 on: December 20, 2010, 09:31:43 AM »
Why Fighter 4?

braininthejar

« Reply #287 on: December 20, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »
because he is a competent fighter even without magic. it comes with the job. (for example, see how much skill Ichigo retains while 'depowered'.) Not even Mayuri is a pure wizard (or whatever the hell he is -  a loremaster perhaps?)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:40:19 AM by braininthejar »

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #288 on: December 20, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »
because he is a competent fighter even without magic. it comes with the job. (for example, see how much skill Ichigo retains while 'depowered'.) Not even Mayuri is a pure wizard (or whatever the hell he is -  a loremaster perhaps?)
You're not really familiar with gish builds and prestige classes, are you?  It's possible to be a competent fighter... my mistake, let me try again.  It's possible to be as competent a fighter as the Fighter without any Fighter levels.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #289 on: December 20, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »
because he is a competent fighter even without magic. it comes with the job. (for example, see how much skill Ichigo retains while 'depowered'.) Not even Mayuri is a pure wizard (or whatever the hell he is -  a loremaster perhaps?)
*sigh*

Off the top of my head, wizard 6/ruathar 3/abjurant champion 5/dragonslayer 1/spellsword 1/sacred exorcist 4. BAB 15, CL 20 with no spells involved. You might need to juggle order of PrCs to meet the feat pre-requisites.

Or wizard 5/knight phantom or eldritch knight 10/abjurant champion 5. BAB 17, CL 19. Less feat intensive, but you have to take the Otherworldly feat at 1st level, IIRC.

Hell, play psion 10/slayer 10 for 15 BAB and 19 ML.

Or Duskblade 20 for 20 of each.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:59:34 AM by AndyJames »

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #290 on: December 20, 2010, 09:59:14 AM »
Paladin 2/sorcerer 4/spellsword 1/abjurant champion 5/sacred exorcist 8 winds up with BAB 16 and CL 18th and nice Charisma synergy, but may not play well with the alignment of the character, whoever he is.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #291 on: December 20, 2010, 10:02:25 AM »
Paladin 2/sorcerer 4/spellsword 1/abjurant champion 5/sacred exorcist 8 winds up with BAB 16 and CL 18th and nice Charisma synergy, but may not play well with the alignment of the character, whoever he is.
That is good, too. I never liked losing CL to fighter type characters, though. It is a really wasted level with (usually) few benefits. A Sorcedin, on the other hand, is great synergy and might be worth the 2 levels lost.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #292 on: December 20, 2010, 10:04:36 AM »
Well yeah, as you(r enemies) gain levels your AC matters a lot less than your saving throws, and those will be pretty damned high with Divine Grace powered by your casting stat.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #293 on: December 20, 2010, 10:13:13 AM »
Well yeah, as you(r enemies) gain levels your AC matters a lot less than your saving throws, and those will be pretty damned high with Divine Grace powered by your casting stat.
Buy a Monk's Belt and get Ascetic Mage and have your AC powered off your casting stat also.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #294 on: December 20, 2010, 10:14:37 AM »
I was just looking at Ascetic Mage and thinking I know there's a way I can get this to AC without being a monk, if only I could remember it.  :lmao

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #295 on: December 20, 2010, 10:22:30 AM »
I was just looking at Ascetic Mage and thinking I know there's a way I can get this to AC without being a monk, if only I could remember it.  :lmao
It works as long as you add your Wis to AC. The feat doesn't require monk levels, just Improved Unarmed Strike.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #296 on: December 20, 2010, 10:40:48 AM »
Or wizard 5/knight phantom or eldritch knight 10/abjurant champion 5. BAB 17, CL 19. Less feat intensive, but you have to take the Otherworldly feat at 1st level, IIRC.
For this I would go tiefling, myself (assuming LA buyoff of course).  Save a feat getting the Outsider type and everything that comes with it, and the ability adjustments are decent for a wizard-based gish.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:43:21 AM by weenog »

braininthejar

« Reply #297 on: December 20, 2010, 11:41:19 AM »
You're not really familiar with gish builds and prestige classes, are you?  It's possible to be a competent fighter... my mistake, let me try again.  It's possible to be as competent a fighter as the Fighter without any Fighter levels.

This was supposed to be a simple build  ;)  . I have been reading through prestige classes but haven't considered such complex combinations yet. Also, I haven't been able to get my hands on some of the books.

Actually, I could make this one into another question: One of my players has started as a sorcerer (her stats are rather mediocre - she put her second highest roll into dexterity. the rest is somewhere around 11 ) She only knows the basics of game mechanics and wants to develop into a gish later on purely because it sounds like a cool concept.  I am aware that it is quite easy to make a gish that will suck (especially with sorcerer's limited choice of spells to learn - each wrong choice is a serious blow)

Basically, I am looking for a gish concept that won't suck but also will be as simple as possible.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #298 on: December 20, 2010, 12:13:30 PM »
Basically, I am looking for a gish concept that won't suck but also will be as simple as possible.
Psychic warrior or Duskblade. Gish in a can.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #299 on: December 20, 2010, 12:24:15 PM »
You're not really familiar with gish builds and prestige classes, are you?  It's possible to be a competent fighter... my mistake, let me try again.  It's possible to be as competent a fighter as the Fighter without any Fighter levels.

This was supposed to be a simple build  ;)  . I have been reading through prestige classes but haven't considered such complex combinations yet. Also, I haven't been able to get my hands on some of the books.

Actually, I could make this one into another question: One of my players has started as a sorcerer (her stats are rather mediocre - she put her second highest roll into dexterity. the rest is somewhere around 11 ) She only knows the basics of game mechanics and wants to develop into a gish later on purely because it sounds like a cool concept.  I am aware that it is quite easy to make a gish that will suck (especially with sorcerer's limited choice of spells to learn - each wrong choice is a serious blow)

You called her your player, so I'll assume you're the DM and have the authority to muck about with the rules if you feel the cause is good.  This might be a good time to do that.

What I would do is eliminate the spellsword dip (it's only in there to meet the base attack prerequisite of abjurant champion without dropping a caster level) by either allowing her to retrain/rebuild (Player's Handbook 2) her sorcerer levels to battle sorcerer (here), or dropping abjurant champion's BAB requirement from +5 to +4.

If I wanted to lose sacred exorcist as well, I would extend abjurant champion to be 10 or even 15 levels long.  Much of what the class can do scales based directly on class level or spell level, so increasing those abilities should be simple.  You'd need to pick some new abilities to fit in with the theme of the class, but as I have no idea what you consider an appropriate level of power, I'm not about to make suggestions there.  Regardless, by doing this you could enable a build of paladin 2/sorcerer 4/abjurant champion 14, or paladin 2/sorcerer 8/abjurant champion 10, either one of which would be much simpler than paladin 2/sorcerer 4/spellsword 1/abjurant champion 5/sacred exorcist 8.