Author Topic: OOC discussion  (Read 103986 times)

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
Re: OOC discussion
« Reply #720 on: January 14, 2011, 12:23:18 PM »
[ooc for everyone][spoiler]
By the way, in case I've forgotten all this: I'm just going to throw all the possible loot from the construct and Agnak out there for you now, you have to divide it as you see fit. It would be good if some of you used some cash to get some save-boosting items. I've looked over your sheets again, and I've seen many a sucky save bonus :)

From Jaslach:

Gloves of Dex +1, Str +1
Infernal Armour (Large +3 Chainmail w/ 1/day Fly)(evil Celestial Armour from SRD)
4x Large Stone Spitter +1 Aptitude Collision (these are pretty expensive, actually, I think +5 weapons + the cost of the graft)
Large glaive +1
Maug Graft (Rollers)
Vest of Resistance +1
Periapt of Wis +1
Amulet of Protection from Good

From Agnak
+1 Guisarme
+1 Mithral Breastplate of Nimbleness
Crystal of Arrow Deflection (Least): +2 AC vs. ranged attacks
Armbands of Might: +2 on Str checks ,+2 dmg on PA
Gloves of Dexterity +2
Steadfast Boots of the Battle Charger
Least Crystal of Return
Everlasting Rations
Healing Belt
Backpack
Bedroll
Flint and Steel
Cloak of Resistance +1

So, there. If you like you can retroactively have Holdamir take some of that stuff and sell it in Baztgirn.

Now even though it'll be a bit hard to justify in character, I guess it would be best if you somehow divided this stuff up between all of you, based upon need.[/spoiler]
Nitpicks, minor mind you.

Grafts are inherintly hard to loot...are you sure you want to give them to us? I'm not one to turn down free gold, just double checking.

I can't really send them with Holdamir as we haven't really been introduced, and they haven't handed me anything. Given if TT does the looting, and then follows after, we get to the surface, and I ask for another trip from Holdamir, it would be a completely differnet story.  :D

Crystal of Arrow Deflection (Least): +2 AC vs. ranged attacks & Armbands of Might: +2 on Str checks ,+2 dmg on PA interest me, but you all can have first picks.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #721 on: January 14, 2011, 12:33:06 PM »
They are easy to loot in this case: The Maug crumbled to dust, but the grafts stayed behind. So, yeah, you'll get them. I had thought that maybe you can attach some or just one of them to the MARC, that's the least stretching of plausibility. The others you're going to have to sell.

I had also hoped that you could then go ahead and craft some stuff for the rest of the PCs.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #722 on: January 14, 2011, 12:49:23 PM »
They would have to ask nicely...
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #723 on: January 14, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »
They would have to ask nicely...
I guess they should... however, seeing as you've been quite the item grabber, I think maybe their niceties should not be overstressed. Look at it this way: Your crafting gives you spotlight :).

As a reminder, the default mode of crafting for a person would be using their XP.

Sohala has also asked me about directly investing one magic item while creating another. I have to ask, too, ARE there already rules for this? If not, do we want to make any? Crafting is really an abstract concept, so whatever suits you should work.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #724 on: January 14, 2011, 04:25:17 PM »
I guess they should... however, seeing as you've been quite the item grabber, I think maybe their niceties should not be overstressed.
I was going to share...
Sohala has also asked me about directly investing one magic item while creating another. I have to ask, too, ARE there already rules for this? If not, do we want to make any? Crafting is really an abstract concept, so whatever suits you should work.
It was more aimed at combining an item with another, to grant the same or similar effect, still with the x1.5 cost. Not just taking a pile of random trinkets, draining them, and then making a super weapon.

I would also state that this would apply to gold cost only; the full xp cost would still need to be paid.

Basic example: You already have a pair of Boots of Striding and Springing, and then find a pair of Boots of the Winterlands. You want both effects, but can't wear them at the same time, and to get both now, you have to sell both at half price, and then buy a new pair. A proposed change is to allow the "draining" of one item, to move the enchantment, or in certain instances a similar enchantment, to the already existing item. You would still have to pay the x1.5 for the lesser enchantment, but would get full market price value from the "drained" boots.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #725 on: January 16, 2011, 06:53:40 PM »
Well... from my perspective, as long as everyone can profit from this, I see no real problems with it. Enchantments are already rather more resilient, see the sundering house-rules, where you can't destroy the magic physically.  Let's say there is a way to move an enchantment to another item after sundering/destroying the original one. All costs stay as they are, you will need to provide the extra cost for multiple enchantments, and you can't simply drain other items for full cash price. Also, the enchantment has to actually FIT the item. I.e. no damage enhancement bonuses on a pair of pants.

Does anyone have a problem with this?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #726 on: January 16, 2011, 07:07:39 PM »
Mael could use +2 Dex item, I guess. +2 Con would be even better, methinks, but it'd need to be crafted or bought.

No objection to the houserule.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #727 on: January 16, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »
Mael could use +2 Dex item, I guess. +2 Con would be even better, methinks, but it'd need to be crafted or bought.

I would have to say... diplomacy is your friend :).

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #728 on: January 16, 2011, 07:49:21 PM »
Also, several of us have already walked off.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #729 on: January 16, 2011, 08:27:23 PM »
I assumed he was just catching up, I saw nothing wrong with that.

and you can't simply drain other items for full cash price
Just double checking, this line covers the pile of random trinkets to super weapon; not two sets of boots to one, right?Reread, you are meaning we can't drain for the x1.5? If so, that is totally acceptable (read below).

Everything else sounds on track.

Was thinking over what points should be stated, though I don't know exactly what you had in mind...

Item to item, the full market value is carried over, meaning that no gold is spent for the enchantment itself, nor is this gold value looked at from a reduced crafting cost, ever. The x.5 extra for multiple enchantment however does fall into the half price for crafting, plus modifiers. Both the enchantment and x.5 extra drain xp, as normally figured for crafting an item.

When upgradeing weapons or armor, the full value would be put towards the item, not just that particular enchantment. As with item to item, the value of the item being drained does not get figured as if crafting an item. Any left over cost is covered as normal for crafting. XP is drained as if upgrading the item normally.

Any time changes to crafting should be stated. With the different method (sundering), it may take less time. Perhaps only a day for the enchantment moving, with the rest of the crafting being figured as normal.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 02:35:38 AM by Sohala »
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #730 on: January 16, 2011, 10:13:02 PM »

Walked off to where?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #731 on: January 16, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »

Walked off to where?
The tunnel to the surface.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #732 on: January 17, 2011, 02:13:07 AM »
But...that's not the way out...

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #733 on: January 17, 2011, 02:41:11 AM »
From what I read, the tunnel is rather long, we could merely assume we haven't traveled all that far before being stoped by our large mech...companion.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #734 on: January 17, 2011, 06:04:18 AM »
Well, you walked off because Thistle wasn't posting. You can assume you're still together, and where exactly makes no difference.

And so, yeah, what follows is transition, which should be cut rather short, IMHO. What you should think about is whether to rest for the night in the tunnel or on the surface - both have their advantages and disadvantates :).

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #735 on: January 18, 2011, 05:55:01 AM »
By the way I've finally come up with a way to screw with you guys and not totally screw you over. Ain't that nice? :D

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #736 on: January 18, 2011, 01:07:13 PM »
Lulz
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Snizor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #737 on: January 18, 2011, 08:45:08 PM »
No objection to the houserule.

On the loot: Daelric doesn't really have a use for any of the items himself, though Cat could stand to be dressed up in one of those resistance items.

The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #738 on: January 18, 2011, 09:35:03 PM »
on the loot Doyle could use the healing belt if its not all ready claimed

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #739 on: January 19, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »
I assumed he was just catching up, I saw nothing wrong with that.

and you can't simply drain other items for full cash price
Just double checking, this line covers the pile of random trinkets to super weapon; not two sets of boots to one, right?Reread, you are meaning we can't drain for the x1.5? If so, that is totally acceptable (read below).

Everything else sounds on track.

Was thinking over what points should be stated, though I don't know exactly what you had in mind...

Item to item, the full market value is carried over, meaning that no gold is spent for the enchantment itself, nor is this gold value looked at from a reduced crafting cost, ever. The x.5 extra for multiple enchantment however does fall into the half price for crafting, plus modifiers. Both the enchantment and x.5 extra drain xp, as normally figured for crafting an item.

When upgradeing weapons or armor, the full value would be put towards the item, not just that particular enchantment. As with item to item, the value of the item being drained does not get figured as if crafting an item. Any left over cost is covered as normal for crafting. XP is drained as if upgrading the item normally.

Any time changes to crafting should be stated. With the different method (sundering), it may take less time. Perhaps only a day for the enchantment moving, with the rest of the crafting being figured as normal.

Ok, the way I see it:

Figure out the market price of the final target item, using the normal rules, i.e. including surplus cost for multiple enchantments, etc., that's the base.

Deduct the price of any enchantments drained or upgraded from (so adding an effect from another item or upgrading an item are basically similar). Draining can be as simple as smashing the item and using some magical mumbojumbo, whatever. We will ignore the time it takes. Now do note that this could be used to transfer such simple things as enhancement bonuses. Have a nice magical weapon, but want a different base weapon? Transfer it. If you are ONLY transferring an enhancement, the necessary cost is that of the masterwork item.

For the resulting price (halved now for crafting), determine crafting time and XP-cost as per my house-rules.  Also, determine caster level of the remaining enchantments.

Spend time, money and XP to craft, get XP back for the crafting "encounter" based on the CL of the target effects.