Author Topic: OOC discussion  (Read 103754 times)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: OOC discussion
« Reply #280 on: June 21, 2009, 07:22:54 PM »
Yeah, though 1st round death is more a problem of high level mechanics than anything else (another reason I don't like high level magic, and crazy lancers to an extent). Man, I can't even remember if we were using initiative in the PbP or not... all my games run by different rules and they're all mushing together in my head.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: June 22, 2009, 02:36:45 PM »
I do know the problem :).

I keep trying to get some of my home DMs to adopt my house-rules, but unfortunately no takers so far.  :banghead

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #282 on: June 22, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »
I hardly consider Iron Will a crappy feat... but hey, I won't turn down a freebie.

I don't consider Iron Will a crappy feat at all. I actually intend on making the feat a key part of my character's personality. When I said "free crappy feat," I was being facetious. Kind of like choosing "daily" powers for 4e ... do you choose the one that's functionally similar to an at-will or an encounter power (but with greater damage), or do you choose something that could make-or-break an encounter (such as sleep being a combat deal-breaker).

In D&D 3.5, since all the "crap" feats are put on the same level as the "deal-breaker" feats, it's often very difficult to choose between making your character powerful enough to survive the inevitable difficulties you're going to face, and picking something that's functionally a part of your character. Weapon Focus and Iron Will and numerous other feats add a great deal of depth to a character's concept ("I really, really favor this weapon ... I treasure it and practice it every day," ad nauseum) but are demonstratively inferior to other feat choices in terms of raw power.

Seriously, does the two-handed weapon fighter go for Power Attack or Iron Will? How about the next feat? Cleave or Iron Will? Then Great Cleave or Iron Will? What if Iron Will is really important to him, but the party's counting on him to be able to thrash an ogre within a couple rounds? How about take out a bunch of goblin mooks before they get to the wizard? Choices, choices...
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Snizor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #283 on: June 22, 2009, 04:42:41 PM »
Anyway, in order to be fair to everyone, he wanted to me to throw the idea out here: would everyone be okay if I picked up a free feat if everyone else was allowed a free feat too?  :smirk I think his words were "retroactively," which suggests that the free feat would be one your character "had all along" but only recently began to make use of, and that it would be chosen from a relatively small pool of feats.
I won't turn down a free feat  :D
The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: June 22, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »
Ok, so I guess you can all pick a feat retroactively, then. Any feat that gives a minor numerical bonus to a save or a skill (or several), and doesn't scale. Which excludes the new and improved Weapon Focus, and also Skill focus in its new and improved scaling form. Improved Initiative isn't half as useful in PbP in PvM play, so if you must have it, you may take it. Not sure about PvP, probably it could be stronger there.... hmmm.
If you have something you would like to take which you feel unsure about, ask me. If it's one of those which noone ever takes except to make the prereqs for a PrC, I'm likely to allow it.

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #285 on: June 22, 2009, 08:40:25 PM »
If you have something you would like to take which you feel unsure about, ask me. If it's one of those which noone ever takes except to make the prereqs for a PrC, I'm likely to allow it.

Endurance.  :lmao

edit: Run.
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #286 on: June 22, 2009, 09:16:21 PM »

Endurance.  :lmao

edit: Run.

Now..... you.... DONE it.... :banghead

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #287 on: June 23, 2009, 03:06:51 PM »
*Crawls out from underneath a rock*

Ok, fever's gone.  All that's left is a hacking cough and a blocked up ear.  But I'm functional again. Huzzah!

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #288 on: June 24, 2009, 03:02:10 PM »
Ok, and the second retroactive present is 12 bonus HP for everyone at Lvl 1. YES, that includes NPCs and enemies, too.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:04:16 PM by Brainpiercing »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: June 28, 2009, 06:46:50 AM »
Due to moving and being generally too busy right now I probably won't be able to post until Wedsneday at least.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: July 03, 2009, 12:51:01 PM »
Well, I've completed most of my moving, and am now snugly living with my girlfriend in our new place. It's all still a bit mumbo-jumbo, but it'll look fine in no time. I've hooked up my internet again, too, so I'll be able to post evenings and weekends, as before, as well as during the day from my lab.

Snizor I'm still working out a few things for you, so I might take another day or two.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #291 on: July 03, 2009, 01:46:28 PM »
Update: I'm hoping I'll have time to post next week.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: July 03, 2009, 02:21:53 PM »
Oooh, living with the gf. That's a brave and exciting new world. If we don't hear from you in a few days, we'll either assume the best... or the worst ;)
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #293 on: July 03, 2009, 04:13:41 PM »
Man, I've never been so confused in my life.  This is the first relationship with someone I've ever had, and she's leaving for India for a whole year in around two weeks.  So now my entire learning experience of what a relationship is, has now condensed into a very short period of time.  Oh, the unnecessary amounts of drama and tension!  What the hell do I do?

Anyways, that's why I've was slow on posting.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: July 03, 2009, 09:06:01 PM »
Man, I've never been so confused in my life.  This is the first relationship with someone I've ever had, and she's leaving for India for a whole year in around two weeks.  So now my entire learning experience of what a relationship is, has now condensed into a very short period of time.  Oh, the unnecessary amounts of drama and tension!  What the hell do I do?

Anyways, that's why I've was slow on posting.
That's tough. What we did (and we were separated for 8 months before moving together now) was skype all the fucking time. That way you can keep it going, even without a firm base of a longer relationship. However, I would not recommend doing this if you don't really know her. I've known my girlfriend for three years before getting together with her, and we were very good, if not best friends, so I knew she was worth it.

If either one of you suddenly seems detached, well... I guess it would be best to not raise your hopes too high.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: July 04, 2009, 06:00:47 AM »
How long have you known this girl? If she was a good friend before you started dating, then you may consider the long distance thing and skype/etc. If it's all new, then I would say best to simply enjoy the time that you have together and let it go while she's away, and maybe see what happens when she comes back.

In either case, you're in the dangerous "puppy love" phase (generally lasts about 3 months) and your own judgment is going to be very skewed.
---

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #296 on: July 05, 2009, 06:30:23 PM »
In either case, you're in the dangerous "puppy love" phase (generally lasts about 3 months) and your own judgment is going to be very skewed.
Now you done it, you've destroyed ALL his illusions...

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #297 on: July 05, 2009, 08:45:26 PM »
I can't remember if it was this game's ooc or another where I was ranting about my troubles with women, but regardless, I have a lot of cynicism in me. Take anything I say with a grain of bitter salt.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 08:46:57 PM by Surreal »
---

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #298 on: July 06, 2009, 02:53:20 AM »
Edit:  :blah Sappy personal stuff was here, now it isn't. Move along.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:15:28 AM by Smudgyhandsman »

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #299 on: July 06, 2009, 10:36:54 AM »
My first piece of advice would be not to take advice over the Internet. :D

Now that I got this out of the way: I was going to make comments remarkably similar to Surreal's (long-distance is hard...) but then again you're young and she's your first and... so just go with your heart !
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson