Author Topic: OOC discussion  (Read 103757 times)

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
Re: OOC discussion
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2008, 02:07:42 PM »
How are things going for everybody, time wise? I'm not seeing a lot of activity.

I do understand that I might be expecting more from my players than normal, which means that without some leisure it might be hard to post at all. I know this problem, if my head isn't clear it's hard to make involved posts. Don't let it bother you, just do as you feel comfortable with.
As expected, things are getting busier - November will be even worse.

Still, I have plans for Mael so as long as I don't forget half of them along the way it should be fine. I do wonder when he'll meet up with other PCs, but he's got a lot on his plate already.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2008, 04:06:48 PM »
It was Canadian Thanksgiving for me, so things have been busy. Life is just generally busy for me, though I try my best to get in a post per cycle. I'm a little unhappy with my own quality of posting, but that's kind of a combination of time constraints and my muse who apparently moves in sync with the stock market.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2008, 06:02:42 PM »
Applying to college on top of monstrous amounts of homework my teachers think students can easily handle with no problems at all, that's taking up a lot of time. I'm thinking I might just hold off on college for a year because I have so much shit going on. But yeah, after November things should settle down, maybe sooner if I finally just decide to put college on hold for a year.  I'll have a post up soon, too much homework tonight and tomorrow, just too too goddamn much... To end a bright note that will make me happier, I'm seeing Jim Gaffigan live in a few weeks!  :D

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2008, 06:45:16 PM »
Also BP, I've edited my knowledge checks into my post.
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2008, 11:24:47 AM »
Ok, I see that you are still all here, which is good. I must say I would hate to lose any of you guys, because so far you've done a top notch job.

I do want to ask for some advice, though, a problem I hadn't anticipated earlier:

It's the dishing out of Xp rewards for out of combat achievements. I had in mind simply assigning an EL to what each player has done so far, but I'm finding it pretty difficult to do so individually for each player. I also have the problem of impartiality.

So, what I'm going to do, probably, is just give everyone mostly the same EL worth of XP. Of course, the lower level guys will then get a little more. XP rewards will likely happen after completing his part of the exposition in Ladydove. IF you want to have some downtime to better roleplay the aquisition of new talents and abilities before leaving the town we can do that retroactively. So anything completely new you might want to learn right now you could just roleplay (on your own, with whatever amount of detail you wish to give to it) your training of these abilities, and you can aquire them once you gain enough XP to level up.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2008, 08:48:14 PM »
Eh, given how all the levels are squishy anyways, leveling could almost be arbitrary at this point.

I say just set the XP rewards according to the highest level PC. The lower level guys will level up slightly faster, and after a few levels the difference won't mean much anyways.
---

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2008, 12:00:58 AM »
Anyone home?
---

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2008, 06:44:50 PM »
Busy, busy, busy !

I don't have much to say about XP: I came in late so I obviously don't mind getting less of it. I don't mind lower-level PCs getting more either.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Snizor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2008, 03:35:08 PM »
Busy as well.

As for the XP issue, I'm fine with the current suggestion.
The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

Pan-Fried Hamster

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2008, 10:44:17 PM »
Oof.  I've been crazy busy, and on top of that, my compy has died twice on me (not to mention the fun fun issues my car has been giving me). I'll read up and see if it's not too late to catch up. D:

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2008, 11:03:11 AM »
Oof.  I've been crazy busy, and on top of that, my compy has died twice on me (not to mention the fun fun issues my car has been giving me). I'll read up and see if it's not too late to catch up. D:
Since we haven't gone anywhere, we also haven't left you behind :).

Pan-Fried Hamster

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2008, 02:02:41 PM »
Hm. I'm getting into DMing a game of my own here on campus, but I think things should have slowed down just enough for me to catch up here. I'll have a post by end of the day tomorrow (got an essay due tomorrow morning so that's gonna be my priority for today).

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2008, 09:25:05 AM »
What about everybody else? Midterms should be over, get posting, people. :)

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2008, 05:34:34 PM »
I'll be more active soon, the swell of homework is coming to a low point. Hope to get a big post out tonight!

Edit: Stupid homework my classmate just informed me of!

Shit.

Looks like I'll be up until 1:00 writing a surprise essay, no post tonight. Tomorrow for sure, homework can be put off on Fridays.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 11:03:28 PM by Smudgyhandsman »

Snizor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2008, 12:42:14 PM »
I'll try and get a post in sometime today.

Edit:
Unfortunately, life got in the way yesterday. I should be able to get a post in sometime this weekend.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 04:51:59 PM by Snizor »
The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2008, 03:52:53 PM »
Sorry guys, been dealing with BSOD. Will be back shortly when I can get a new computer set up.
---

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2008, 04:45:11 PM »
So... a week later, and I'm back online. The old computer is now deader than dead so I went out to buy a new machine. Then it took me half a week to figure out that Vista can't recognize dynamic disk volumes created by XP, so that took me the other half of the week to cobble together another frankenpc XP machine from spare parts so I could install my old hard drives and recover my data. Doesn't look like I missed much...
---

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2008, 04:55:57 PM »
Yeah, but I've got the time now to post more. I'm just waiting for confirmation if you want to go to Lundeth, and then I'm ready to start posting again regularly.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Yay, everybody is back. I also have some new applications, although I haven't gotten any details from them yet.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2008, 01:02:57 PM »
I have a few questions I would like to ask you guys:

1) A basic stance for spells or abilities that give benefits to "allies", without specifying whether the  character using the ability gets the benefit or not:
My suggestion:
Every spell or ability that gives a numeric bonus, a buff, or an extra attack(in a FA) which specifies allies can be regared as if the character is his own ally.
Every spell or ability that grants actions to allies CANNOT be used in the manner to give actions to the character using the ability. This is simply to prevent loops being possible.

However, I'm opening it to discussion, I'm not final on the decision.

The second question regards the roleplaying done in this group, and the mechanics of it:

Previously up to now, I've used a loose, "invisible mechanics" system for roleplaying challenges. I've had people just talk, and perhaps roll a diplomacy check in the background. We COULD, however, use more complex and detailed mechanics for our characters to flesh out the roleplaying, and especially character interaction (including NPCs). I've started working out those mechanics in the "House rules and creations" section, in a thread called "Expanding D&D mechanics". IF you are interested in what I'm thinking about, please give your comments there.