Author Topic: Making Soulknife worth it, any soulknife fixes?  (Read 4150 times)

xeno121

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Making Soulknife worth it, any soulknife fixes?
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:33:02 PM »
I've mulled around a soulknife/monk/atavist build using flowing blade and carmandine monk(think that was the right feat) to make a soulknife that won't be eaten alive instantly, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any good fixes or strategies/classes to make the Soulknife work like it should.  Melee preferrably, all books.

Is a Kalashtar soulknife/monk/atavist viable in a less than high optimization game?
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
Re: Making Soulknife worth it, any soulknife fixes?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 03:11:57 AM »
One thing you could try is the Mind's Eye expanded psychic warrior.  There's an alternate class feature there called Soulbound Weapon.  The psychic warrior gives up his 2nd level bonus feat to gain what is essentially a better version of the soulknife's signature feature.  Doubly so because the soulbound weapon can be of any type (bow, mace, spiked chain, etc).  Plus you'd still have the psychic warrior's manifesting ability.

As far as the soulknife directly, one of the reasons the class itself is weak is because the mind blade gains abilities and enhancements at a slower rate compared to the rate another character would be able to afford the same things on a standard weapon.  It could be argued then, that taking away that feature and forcing the soulknife to pay gold to have their mind blade enhanced would actually strengthen the class.  However, this isn't particularly fun or in keeping with the class's flavor.

Fixes that I'd suggest for consideration to make the soulknife a little sharper ( :drums) would be the following:
  • Full BAB.
  • Drop charging a psychic strike to a swift action instead of a move action.
  • Allow the strike to affect every attack made in a given round (perhaps requiring the soulknife to expend his focus.  It'd be good to give him something else to do with it besides sit on it for Speed of Thought).  Just be careful of Knife to the Soul interaction here.
  • Accelerate the mind blade enhancements by a level or two.  We'll probably end up with some dead levels here, but that's not really a big deal.
  • As an alternative to full BAB, allow the soulknife to expend his focus on a bonus to hit, or to make an extra attack in a round, or something similar.
I'd probably only use two or three of those, but that depends on how far up you want to pull the soulknife.  The class is in the unique position of having a psionic focus without having to worry about manifesting or power points.  However, as written, it doesn't really do anything with it besides park it in Speed of Thought.  Coming up with a couple of new and different ways to use it adds some strategy that the soulknife otherwise lacks.  If you want to lean more heavily on doing that, you can fit Psionic Meditation (become focused as a move action) as an early bonus feat.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:49:40 AM »
if a player of mine wanted to play soulknife, I would just say "make it full BAB, and add half your soulknife level to damage".
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:54:35 AM »
Or make him use the Soulbow prestige class.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »
I also recommend the use of a soulbound weapon Psi Warrior.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 01:45:29 PM »
+2 to Soulbound weapon suggestion.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]