Author Topic: Rend, how to get it (and use it in an ordinary dungeon)?  (Read 2183 times)

Banaticus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Rend, how to get it (and use it in an ordinary dungeon)?
« on: May 18, 2010, 07:54:17 PM »
Just what the subject says.  How can a character whose race doesn't normally grant Rend pick it up and use it while in an ordinary dungeon (space concerns with doorways, 10'x10' rooms/hallways, etc.)?  Eberron has a Great Rend feat... if you're a Shifter race.  The Draconomicon has a Rend feat... if you're size Huge or larger (kind of precludes dungeon diving).  There's Multiweapon and Two-weapon Rend, both of which are epic feats.  Savage Species and Serpent Kingdoms both have rending constriction (rend a grappled opponent), but you need the constrict ability.

Is it just impossible?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Rend, how to get it (and use it in an ordinary dungeon)?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 08:10:32 PM »
Well there are templates (Feral)... but i guess that's part of "race"
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Banaticus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 08:21:23 PM »
I looked at Feral, but you only received rend if you had a whole bunch of useless racial HD and (yeah) Feral basically is a race thing.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 08:22:57 PM »
Black Blood Cultist grants Rend when raging and eventually all the time.  It's a grappling prC that actually doesn't suck (mainly due to Savage Grapple being awesome)!  Champions of Ruin.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Nameless Void

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 08:30:04 PM »
Two-Weapon Rend is a feat in PHB2. It's not epic but does require Dex 15, Two-Weapon Fighting and BAB +11
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip is an 8th level Tiger Claw manuever.  So 15 levels in Swordsage or Warblade would be required.  But the additional damage can get fairly impressive (20d6).
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 08:42:15 PM »
Apelord (CAdv); but with limited uses per day (anything with wild shape helps with that)
 :shrug

in the same theme, there's always druid (but that can be the answer for any/everything).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:53:14 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »
If polymorph is an option, I'm sure there are medium sized forms that have the rend ability.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 06:11:42 PM »
Be a Half-Troll (Fiend Folio).

For +4 LA you gain +6 Str, +2 Dex, +6 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha, Scent, Claws (1d4 base damage for Med), a Bite attack (1d6 base), Rend (2d4+1.5*Str [again, Medium]), and Fast Healing 5.  Your type changes to Giant.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 11:10:19 AM »
or cast giriallons blessing 3rd level spell for druids and clerics.  gives you and extra set of arms with claws and allows you to rend when ever you hit with 2 melee attacks

ron

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 03:43:31 PM »
From my lists of stuff...

Girallon's Arms, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum
Frostrager 5, ecl 11, Frostburn
Black Blood Cultist 6, ecl 11, Champions of Ruin
Ipos, vestige, ecl 12, Tome of Magic
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills