Author Topic: Max out Base land speed?  (Read 6111 times)

Nameless Void

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Max out Base land speed?
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 01:51:50 AM »
Am I the only one disturbed at that..?

:p
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 03:21:56 AM »
And as for your other discussion, I have a RL DM who has banned TOB and Psionics.. Much to my protests and the entire groups lack of understanding both. I believe this is generally the reason why DMs ban them. They haven't taken the time to learn the rules behind either.
If the rules baffle the entire group then that's probably the best reason I've heard so far to ban something, especially since these, like Incarnum, are their own little subsystems. 

That being said, they should hopefully trust YOU enough to know how your character works -- it's your job to do so -- so I don't see why it's too much of their business.  But, like I said, it's the best reason I've heard to ban them, although that doesn't mean it's actually a good one. 

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2010, 06:12:28 AM »
And as for your other discussion, I have a RL DM who has banned TOB and Psionics.. Much to my protests and the entire groups lack of understanding both. I believe this is generally the reason why DMs ban them. They haven't taken the time to learn the rules behind either.
If the rules baffle the entire group then that's probably the best reason I've heard so far to ban something, especially since these, like Incarnum, are their own little subsystems. 

That being said, they should hopefully trust YOU enough to know how your character works -- it's your job to do so -- so I don't see why it's too much of their business.  But, like I said, it's the best reason I've heard to ban them, although that doesn't mean it's actually a good one. 
Which is one of the reasons very few people play grapple-centric characters.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Nameless Void

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2010, 06:35:51 AM »

Which is one of the reasons very few people play grapple-centric characters.

I love to play grapple-centric characters!  :D

@Unbeliever: I'm trying to educate them.. I've managed to get them to allow warlocks! Psionics are next.
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

Theomniadept

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 12:27:13 AM »
Nameless I think the main problem outside of lack of understanding is that, well, Tome of Battle is the book of converting EVERYTHING to damage. High Ability score? Who cares which one it is, convert it to damage! Got good saves? Damage! What type of terrain are you on? Who cares? Damage! Got good speed? Damage! Have you multiclassed with any classes in the entire game, official or homebrew? Damage!

Do you have any particular smell about you? Damage!
Do you choose to have flashbacks in the middle of combat? Damage!
Have some free damage!
Can you answer a typical question posed by a calculus major? Yes or no, Damage!
Does your character have any class skills? Damage!
Do you have a hit die? Damage!
Does your character use any manufactured weapons, natural weapons, unarmed strikes, or any other type of method of dealing damage? Extra damage!

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2010, 12:49:10 AM »
Have you even read the book?  There's a lot more in there than just damage.

And seriously?  Saves to damage?  Where did that one come from?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2010, 02:43:48 AM »
Since people are posting things with psionic flavor to them, I'm going to mention the Speed of Thought feat.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2010, 09:19:29 AM »
Even then, you would have to do an awful lot of damage a round to compete with a wizard or the like in usefulness.... if its even possible

oh and then there are hood builds without ToB....